500sl w129 I think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
I've always liked these so I'm going to start looking for one over the next few months. I would like the 500 but will look at the smaller engines if the condition and price is good. £10000 is the limit.
I need some hints, tips and advice please.

Buy the best you can afford and don't touch anything unless it has full history!

Regularly used cars are always a good bet over cars that have been 'sorned' for years.

Lots of great info on here if you search the threads.

Thanks so far. I will read the stickies thoroughly but I am after some real world info.

One of my homies is after one as well so we have a bit of a race going on.

I've had a 96 500 for about 14 years now, which I replaced with an E320 cabrio, but I couldn't part with it! The m119 V8 is a fabulous engine (as are the m113s in the 98/99 models on), but I'm always reading about dizzy cap/rotor arm/damp related problems (even when replaced) with the pre electronic ignition engines (up to '95/96 change over).

It's been totally reliable, and currently on 156k. I took it for a top down trip further along the coast yesterday, and it drives beautifully, with plenty of smoothly delivered power. Biggest jobs I've had done were replacing the cats (about 105/110k miles) and gearbox seals and pump (about 5k ago), but like everything, a good service history is essential. Lots of seemingly unimportant jobs can add up, or cause problems if ignored (eg check coolant pipes from rad to gearbox for rust, and all pipes generally).

I wouldn't get hung up about air con, either. I've spent over £1k over the years, and it's never worked properly for too long (if the evaporator needs replacing, it's the dashboard out). I don't see the point of having a convertible if you need to condition the air! Speaking of which, check the roof/window operation over and over.

I've just sold a 98 500, as I've bought an R230 now, but I felt, and general consensus seems to be, that the later 129s are not of the same quality cosmetically. That said, I wish I'd done it the other way round, but my high miler is worth more to me than I'd ever get back, and I know can take it anywhere without concern.

Try and find one with a panoramic roof, and good luck with the search.

Edited to add that yes, they are R129s, and they started life as a 500SL, later becoming SL500 from 94 (I think) on.

Last edited:
A lot of the reported distributor problems seem to be self-inflicted through lack of use/maintenance, or wrongly blamed for problems that lie elsewhere. Give them a clean out periodically, make sure the insulator disc is a good fit and don't leave the car sitting around being a garage queen.

The Bremi set I'm running currently are lasting far better than Bosch or Beru.

The average weekly mileage will be about 40 miles. Most of that is on the A41. My sister and brother live near Caterham and Newbury so it will get a bit of a run occasionally.

My homie is now looking at Boxsters.

Last edited:
Go for it! I bought a 96 SL500 a few months back - Love the car and looking forward to the nice weather to get the roof off with the sun

Olly also has another company that sells mainly 129s. Talking to him recently when the 124 was being serviced he said little if any stock. Very little thats any good on the market and those that are fetch very strong money. I have seen the odd one of his retail 129s in the metal and they really are top notch. Think the company is Turnbull and Oliver or something similar.

You could ask a couple of local indies to keep an eye out for you. They might be able to give your details to any owners who are thinking of selling.

Schmitt Motors down in Brent Cross or Terry @ Wayne Gates in Harrow are pretty close to you.

Forgot to mention - you should decide whether or not to consider ADS-equipped (hydro-pneumatic adaptive dampers) cars or not. Some people would say run a mile as these cars have higher bork potential, others defend them if the system is maintained well. They do require a mechanic who knows what he's doing to fix, and other suspension components have to be specific too - and cost twice as much (i.e. shocks or top mounts).

Is 10k your purchase budget with another fund in reserve for going over the car or is it 10k all in?

Zonergem said:
You could ask a couple of local indies to keep an eye out for you. They might be able to give your details to any owners who are thinking of selling. Schmitt Motors down in Brent Cross or Terry @ Wayne Gates in Harrow are pretty close to you. Forgot to mention - you should decide whether or not to consider ADS-equipped (hydro-pneumatic adaptive dampers) cars or not. Some people would say run a mile as these cars have higher bork potential, others defend them if the system is maintained well. They do require a mechanic who knows what he's doing to fix, and other suspension components have to be specific too - and cost twice as much (i.e. shocks or top mounts). Is 10k your purchase budget with another fund in reserve for going over the car or is it 10k all in?
I am aware of Wayne Gates over in Harrow but didn't know about the Indy over near Brent X. Both are 10-15 mins drive. When we had our c class we used a place over near Putney and then the bloke up in Preston for the huge service prior to the drive to Skiathos. There are r129's all over the place and so are their prices. It appears that all the models have a niggle somewhere along the way. A member here put up a link to a 1990 500 with 86,000 on the clock. This is just the sort of cat I'm looking for although I would need to see it in the flesh as I've never seen one in white before. Regarding the suspension, what model years would this apply to? Also, I've just had a nose on Olly's site and he hasn't got any for sale.

Forgot to mention - you should decide whether or not to consider ADS-equipped (hydro-pneumatic adaptive dampers) cars or not. Some people would say run a mile as these cars have higher bork potential, others defend them if the system is maintained well. They do require a mechanic who knows what he's doing to fix, and other suspension components have to be specific too - and cost twice as much (i.e. shocks or top mounts).

I've had an ADS-equipped R129 for 13 years now and the only work needed has been replacement of the four accumulators ("spheres"), which should basically be viewed as consumables in the same way that standard shock absorbers are. Apart from checking the fluid level there's no specific servicing or maintenance required on ADS, and it's definitely more robust and cheaper than the later ABC system used on R230 SLs.

ADS existed from the launch of the R129 in 1989 - it's always been standard on 600s but an option for the other models. It did change from ADS I to ADS II at some point (around 1994?).

Of course if you look at an ADS car it's common sense to check that everything works properly, just as you would with the hood system.

BTB 500 said:
I've had an ADS-equipped R129 for 13 years now and the only work needed has been replacement of the four accumulators ("spheres"), which should basically be viewed as consumables in the same way that standard shock absorbers are. Apart from checking the fluid level there's no specific servicing or maintenance required on ADS, and it's definitely more robust and cheaper than the later ABC system used on R230 SLs. ADS existed from the launch of the R129 in 1989 - it's always been standard on 600s but an option for the other models. It did change from ADS I to ADS II at some point (around 1994?). Of course if you look at an ADS car it's common sense to check that everything works properly, just as you would with the hood system.

Ok, I think I'm getting my head around it now. I know about the R230 ABC problems and I was thinking they were one and the same.

Regarding the wiring loom problems on he earlier models. Is this because they are based on a C124 chassis and with the rubbish looms?

ADS suspension was standard on 600SL/SL600 V12 cars, and optional on the other models. The option code was 216.

ADS equipped cars have a switch next to the headlamp selector to raise the car or lock the system if the car is being lifted. There is also a switch on the centre console and a warning light in the cluster display. I've tried to mark all three in this picture.

IBVKYH.jpg

Here's a white 1990 car (with ADS) that looks good for a summer cruiser.

New addition to my fleet of Mercs - R129 500SL - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

The car currently for sale may have had the arches rolled (poorly) and the suspension lowered. It also has the matt coloured lower plastic (aka Sacco) panels, like this car

SOLD | 1990 Mercedes Benz 300SL-24

But for 7k with history and decent wheels you could do worse than take a look. There's a Bentley in the background, is that a good sign?

Between late 1992 and 1996 Mercedes tried to get ahead of the curve on sustainability, eco-friendliness and the EU end-of-life vehicle recycling rules, by using a plastic for the wiring insulation that was bio-degradeable. Unfortunately it degraded far too quickly, leaving wires exposed, short circuits everywhere and causing a cascade of damage.

Replacement looms from MB are expensive, there's at least one auto-electrician in the UK who rebuilds them using your original connectors (Si-Leck, in Kent) but ideally you swerve the problem by steering clear of 1993-1995 cars.

Here's the lowdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwfxXJrv93o&t=496s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom