55 Kompressor funny smell under hard acceleration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paterson12

Car
CL 55 AMG Kompressor, BMW X6, 1968 Porsche 911 swb
Hello all,

My friend was following behind me one day and said when I was accelerating hard there was quite a noticeable smell of fuel or oil (he wasn't entirely sure what the smell was).

I have smelt it occasionally in the cabin.

There's no smoke and the car appears to be running fine (not rich) with no fault codes.

I spoke to my MB dealer about this when I went for a service and he seemed to think it was normal (I'm not convinced).

Any ideas? Anybody experienced this before?

Thanks.

Hello all,

My friend was following behind me one day and said when I was accelerating hard there was quite a noticeable smell of fuel or oil (he wasn't entirely sure what the smell was).

I have smelt it occasionally in the cabin.

There's no smoke and the car appears to be running fine (not rich) with no fault codes.

I spoke to my MB dealer about this when I went for a service and he seemed to think it was normal (I'm not convinced).

Any ideas? Anybody experienced this before?

Thanks.

I stood 12 foot behind mine on a couple of dyno runs. The amount of pressure and fumes that come out took me back. I stunk of fumes all day, it was great :).

Not a bad idea to get it checked out but think it will be okay.

I stood 12 foot behind mine on a couple of dyno runs. The amount of pressure and fumes that come out took me back. I stunk of fumes all day, it was great :).

Not a bad idea to get it checked out but think it will be okay.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose it could be normal then, it's just too tempting to have the pedal down! :).

If you've had cats removed it'll also have a stronger smell of petrol.

I follwed my car being driven hard by a friend the other night and I noticed exactly the same. My car is also standard. I was going to get it looked at but others have said similar when these are pushed hard there is the same smell.

I follwed my car being driven hard by a friend the other night and I noticed exactly the same. My car is also standard. I was going to get it looked at but others have said similar when these are pushed hard there is the same smell.

Glad I'm not the only one, it's slight disconcerting though.

Would be interesting to know the reason for the smell.

5.4 v8 with a super charger at WOT, that will be your reason.

Could be IC pump knackered or on the way out.

I took mine in to MSL Performance to have the IC pump replaced and another 55K (with all CATs I think or at least primaries) was on the dyno - smelt like mine did and once my pump was replaced, my exhaust smell improved (on the car anyway).

Could be IC pump knackered or on the way out.

I took mine in to MSL Performance to have the IC pump replaced and another 55K (with all CATs I think or at least primaries) was on the dyno - smelt like mine did and once my pump was replaced, my exhaust smell improved (on the car anyway).

John did you not notice any performance decrease or sc clutch disengagement?

I noticed the car was back to how it was when I got it (i.e. it still felt like a standard tune so the SC still engaged) after one WOT run - which is probably why I was equal with that lighter but early 400s 911 I reported on late last Summer.

Dyno seemed to back it up.

However, what I couldn't miss was the stink.

It still smells a little rich now due to the decat but nothing like it was.

Thank you for your replies , some interesting reading.

I've had the sc pump changed recently.

Judging by what people are saying it looks to be a relatively normal thing on these Supercharged engines.

Acid did a damned good job ragging mine, 4 back to back aggressive slow pulls, the last one just about reaching the the start of retardation, all four graphs duplicated, think the 5th may have been different. :D

Yeah I've never experienced it on any other car than my old TVR!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom