55k Split Cooling Mod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrhanky

MB Enthusiast
Car
Superb 3.6 4x4 & W221 S500
Having done a lot of research via mainly the US forums, Ive decided I will have a bash at doing this.

So Ive got the BMW reservoir and all the other bits needed to complete the job. However, before I get carried away I wondered if anyone who has done this has any tips.

My main concerns are:

1. Bleeding - how did you go about bleeding it afterwards. Is it as simple as engaging the IC pump and topping up?
  2. Is the fact the BMW res has no vent like a normal expansion tank an issue? should I install a rated PSI vent or is this not needed?
My other concerns are around whether its worth doing or not! From what I understand the engine side coolant and IC coolant whilst being linked, do not actually mix. Therefore there is heat transfer but not as bad as it would first appear.

With this in mind is the small coolant capacity of the BMW res going to be the downfall of this mod. Im guessing for my limited WOT use it would be okay.

Any help or ideas very much appreciated.

I looked into this too and my eventual verdict was that unless you are going to be doing regular 1/4s/vmax its not worth the hassle. An upgraded HE will do...

Hi
I looked into having this done again based on the US site. Asked my local indie to do it for me. Problems cropped up with the SBC unit. Apparently lhd models have the unit on their side so there's plenty of room for the header bottle. RHD models have the unit on their drivers side and he couldn't physically fit the unit in, so I told him not to bother. I don't think it's really necessary as I have a smaller s/c pulley and eurocharged map and I've never had heat soak issues. Did have it done on the SLK32AMG, boy what a difference it made there.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

I can't say I have run into any clearance issues with the BMW reservoir I have got. Admittedly I have only offered up the bottle once and have not checked out the best locations for fixing the bracket.

My reasons for doing this are a) I love to tinker b) I have all the bits c) I'm considering going a step smaller and fitting the 77mm pulley.

However, Im still not convinced it's going to be worth it. Also potential bleeding issues / air lock concern me.

I think a proper rear tank / killer chiller is way better setup. Just can't justify the costs of such a set up at the moment.

My indie said that there might be sufficient room under the scuttle panel, but would need a long run of tubing, again I didn't bother. Just an aside, I've got the BMW bottle in the SLK with its original cap, haven't noticed any pressure or bleeding problems. Been fitted for about 4 weeks now.

My indie said that there might be sufficient room under the scuttle panel, but would need a long run of tubing, again I didn't bother. Just an aside, I've got the BMW bottle in the SLK with its original cap, haven't noticed any pressure or bleeding problems. Been fitted for about 4 weeks now.

PCS have already fabricated an excellent tank that does away with engine side cabin filter and housing. It sits above the battery and is a better solution than the BMW reservoir as it increases overall coolant volume.

I don't want the expense of such a tank so will persevere with what I have.

Not sure what your indie was on about or perhaps he was trying to use a larger reservoir but I have trial fitted the BMW reservoir and there is plenty of room.

The bracket provides good clearance also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom