560 SEL 1989 oil pressure dropping issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

24karrat

Car
1989 560 SEL AMG Japanese Import | 2014 A180 CDI AMG SPORT
So i got round to M.O.T & taxing my 560 SEL 1989, 2nd time i started it up the oil pressure went to 2 then dropped to 1.5 then goes up to 2 when my foots down then go back to 1.5 then occasionally goes to 3, any ideas what may be causing it?

FYI- to pass MOT it only needed ball joint dust cover replacing off side, offside drag link end ball cover, they deteriorated. While i was there i got them to weld mid exhaust pipe as its worn away from speed bumps over in china, but car is rust free underneath & body, testament to previous owner, I also will be getting it waxed sprayed undernearth some next time week. From a friend who owes me a favour to.

Tax gone up to £230 though, inevitably
Best part about it, it only cost £70 in labour & £9 in parts, mid-welding was free & so was the ego boost.

Fully tanked the car with petrol & took it for a nice cruise & a few erons, nice start to bank hol, hope everyone else is enjoying theirs too! Gona take the Mrs for a cruise later she don't like the car, refers to it as the old car.

This variation of oil pressure is usual with Type 126 V8s.
Our old 380SE was just the same.
When the oil was warmed up and the engine was only idling, the OP was well down below 1.
Put your foot down and back up it went.
Sounds OK to me.

image-2280752801.jpg

Thanks guy for the reassurance & I think the oil gauge connection maybe dirty or need replacing like you said & there's no lack in performance even tho the gauge reads incorrect,

Fresh oil and a new filter can make all the difference .

I found that when I changed the oil, the indicated oil pressure always seemed to read higher for a while.
But then it dropped back.
I'm not sure what that says about the oil ... Although it was always to MB spec.

She does need a service thought about taking it to MB this week will try those things & keep you updated on its outcome

It is very easy to do your own oil and filter change on these cars.
Also the air filter.
Service parts are easily-available.

MB to service a W126! They will need to have a staff meeting to locate the oil filter.

Oil must be changed annually even if you dont use the car. The aim is to have the oil come out the same colour as the new stuff that goes in.... or maybe thats just me!

MB to service a W126! They will need to have a staff meeting to locate the oil filter.

Probably-true ... Sadly

Oil must be changed annually even if you don't use the car

I agree.

Lol it's funny you say that jay, mb really don't like to touch anything pre 2000, going to take it to a indie instead.

& I agree with you on an oil change every year, car will only do 2000 miles per year so well worth it just for piece of mind

If the car is not used a lot, you get a build-up of moisture in the oil.
Eventually, the car is using an emulsified mixture of oil/water in the lubrication system.
Can be quite-damaging in conjunction with acidic residues and other contaminants that build up in the oil.

@johnsco - that was one of the first things i looked out for, but good information

Look after that 560 of yours, I miss all three of mine! And although MB will be useless for servicing the car they can often supply parts for small things at quite a reasonable price. Good luck with your car anyway it looks quite unique.

@mercmush thank you mate, i was on the search for a long time many came about brought a few & sold them so know my way around them to, but nothing like this one, no more late nights searching for pre merger AMG stuff, i find reasons to drive it, only when its dry tho, which is only a small window in the day & i keep it garaged, MB wolverhampton actually want to show case it in there showroom next to the new s-class amg s63, but will have to wait & see i prefer to be more reserved

The car has a certain appeal apart from people who the see the car stop & waiting for gun men to jump out the back, i just like to see modern/classics being used,life to short to settle for driving second bests all the time,not really a fan of modern day cars given the choice, i don't plan do anything to the car, MAYBE convert analogue TV to digital if it doesn't require any change to the dash, like to keep it 1000% original, buying spares along the way will my next phase.

Many MBclub members may have more then just one nice MB but i feel humbled to own this particular car as chance's of seeing another one is very slim & the expression on peoples face that look RHD to find its LHD is amusing, it does get wanted & unwanted attention, I do love all AMG MBs pre mergers & those alike, i actually would like to organise a AMG MB cruise around the west midlands if enough people are interested & day can be agreed upon & when the weather behaves I will post a new thread & go by the response

All I can say is 24karrat, respect to you and respect to your 560 SEL... Its very pleasing to hear when people take care of these beloved MBs. Ifyou can, try to keep the SEL...my dad regrets selling his 500 SEC even today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom