5mm Rear NumerPlate Screw/Bolt needed in Yellow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ronan1982

Car
Mercedes C220I Coupe
Hi Guys,

I have recently got new plates made up and was going to complete the look buy getting rid of the eye sore silver screws from Mercedes the car came with.

It has 4 Bolt type screws in the middle of the plate.

Finding a set of Yellow bolts in the same size is becoming impossible, and most eBay auctions don't state their size. I have managed to find 6mm but I don't really want to force the plastic bolt and end up snapping it in the thread.
Anyone have any solutions or the same problem apart from painting the original head of the bolt?

Many thanks.

Hopefully the picture comes out ok..

Last edited:
Finding a set of Yellow bolts in the same size is becoming impossible, and most eBay auctions don't state their size. I have managed to find 6mm but I don't really want to force the plastic bolt and end up snapping it in the thread.

These bolts from Halfords could be 5mm (hence 6mm drill for clearance hole). At £1.99 a set they are possibly worth a try.

Number Plate Fixers - Nylon Nuts and Bolts

Thanks Guys, but them Caps wont cover the original screw as the head part is bigger than a normal tapered screw. The cap is not big enough!

I'd go for yellow enamel paint on the heads of the standard screws then!

Stick your number plates on?

Hi Guys,

....Finding a set of Yellow bolts in the same size is becoming impossible, and most eBay auctions don't state their size. I have managed to find 6mm but I don't really want to force the plastic bolt and end up snapping it in the thread.
Anyone have any solutions or the same problem apart from painting the original head of the bolt? ....

I recently went through the same exercise and didn't find plastic screws to fit. From memory I think your steel screws are M5 and the plastic screws M6.

I finished up with plastic caps which frankly don't look good. In retrospect stainless steel Allen screws in M5 with a shallow dome top would be better otherwise a new plate and holder which will hide the screws altogether.

I recently went through the same exercise and didn't find plastic screws to fit. From memory I think your steel screws are M5 and the plastic screws M6.

I finished up with plastic caps which frankly don't look good. In retrospect stainless steel Allen screws in M5 with a shallow dome top would be better otherwise a new plate and holder which will hide the screws altogether.

Thanks Guys!

I am either going to get the originals and dip the heads in paint, get a new rear plate made up and use pads.. or use these

Nylon Bolts, Nylon Nuts & Nylon Washers 3pc Set Slotted Pan Head Screws | eBay

Thanks for the heads up didn't know they where called M5's. Made it allot easier to search for. :thumb:

Regarding the Clear bolts... good idea but I think they will show up the holes in the plate?

Ronan get a set of plastic number plate holders they line up with the holes in your boot .MB do a set of their own only a few pounds .Then you wont see any screws on the plate Dont have chrome frames ,anything but them as chrome comes off . The parts in the boot lid are rivnuts and put in with a special tool ,dont drill them out like i did and have the drill break off inside .

I just used M5 stainless dome head torx and they look OK. Do all dealer plate holders have the dealers name om them.

Ronan get a set of plastic number plate holders they line up with the holes in your boot .MB do a set of their own only a few pounds .Then you wont see any screws on the plate Dont have chrome frames ,anything but them as chrome comes off . The parts in the boot lid are rivnuts and put in with a special tool ,dont drill them out like i did and have the drill break off inside .

Hey Optimus,

I should have stated my private plate is 4 letters long, and I have had the plate shortened compared to the standard plate. So a Plate Holder would look out of place with the gaps either side! I would have though otherwise.. I think the Mercedes plate holders look ok!

Hi Guys,

I have recently got new plates made up and was going to complete the look buy getting rid of the eye sore silver screws from Mercedes the car came with.

It has 4 Bolt type screws in the middle of the plate.

Anyone have any solutions or the same problem apart from painting the original head of the bolt?

Many thanks.

Hopefully the picture comes out ok..

Went through this myself with the SL.... gave up in the end and left the original ugly screws in there.

I don't like plate holders as they always have some logo on them or something... tacky looking IMO!

BMW number plate caps fit MB screw heads, pop into a local dealer they are pennies they more than likely will give them away.

Just park your car out of sight :D

Ronan1982 said:
Hey Optimus, I should have stated my private plate is 4 letters long, and I have had the plate shortened compared to the standard plate. So a Plate Holder would look out of place with the gaps either side! I would have though otherwise.. I think the Mercedes plate holders look ok!

I too have a shortened plate with a 4 digit plate. I used a wurth plate holder, cut n shut it so it was the exact length as the plate. I basically cut a section out of the holder making it shorter, fastened both parts independently and then slotted the plate in keeping it all together! You cannot tell the plate holder has been cut in two, u less you look up very close, and even then it looks like a scratch oppose to a cut!

Went through this myself with the SL.... gave up in the end and left the original ugly screws in there.

I don't like plate holders as they always have some logo on them or something... tacky looking IMO!

Hey CB1965,

I think I found the solution for those that want to use bolts instead of pads/ holders etc.
If you look above at my previous comment there is a link to these Yellow M5 Bolts that fit perfectly and are spot on to the Rear plate Colour.
Off eBay.

M5 - Yellow - 20mm length

The link again for these:

The head on them is not that big also so does not cover over a Letter on the plate.

In the Picture the left is the huge 6m that is available at most car places.
Middle is the original Bolt from Mercedes
And right is the replacement I found for the original.

Last edited:
Hey CB1965,

I think I found the solution for those that want to use bolts instead of pads/ holders etc.
If you look above at my previous comment there is a link to these Yellow M5 Bolts that fit perfectly and are spot on to the Rear plate Colour.
Off eBay.

M5 - Yellow - 20mm length

The link again for these:

The head on them is not that big also so does not cover over a Letter on the plate.

In the Picture the left is the huge 6m that is available at most car places.
Middle is the original Bolt from Mercedes
And right is the replacement I found for the original.

Nice one, that's a great find... thanks :thumb:

For other that fell the need to replace them for some reason or other like i did afer i broke one off removing it .They are rivnuts ebay have them and here they are.In a few sizes to fit your car

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom