6 months into V12 ownership and...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIRMA

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RCF
It hasn't sent me into financial ruin. I did do a fair bit of research but in the end it was the test drive that made me make the rather rash decision to buy the CL65.
Perhaps it was a case of striking lucky and just buying a half decent example I'm not sure but so far apart from the service plan costs and fuel, I'm overall very happy and very much enjoying my ownership experience.
The car can be very scary on damp roads as I found out yesterday but thanks to being on a straight bit of road and the traction control kicking in I live to tell the tale. But this car will try to kill the unwary no doubt about it.
As I have said before this car does things a big car shouldn't do and does things a big car should do, but just a bit better.
My reason for writing this is because normally at the 6 month period I'm looking into my next car but at this moment in time I can't think of any car (sensible budget permitting) that I would even consider, although the new Bentley is certainly a looker now and when it's fallen off a cliff edge depreciation wise I'll probably get one.
My fellow Lotus Anoraks who are all hardened track-day guys absolutely love it and say they would never grow tired of it's ability to gain ridiculous warp factor speeds in an instant, which is really only one of it's party tricks.
I hope I'm not tempting the wrath of 'Sods Law' by posting this now but to quote another cliched analogy the 'Sword of Damocles' that seemed to haunt the first few weeks of my ownership seems to have diminished and taken over by sheer enjoyment.

If I said I was not Envious I'd be an absolute liar, hope you keep us updated .

Think we bought on virtually the same day. I'm impressed by mine and Ms oldguy57 and my kids love driving it. Inchcape just did the big service (plugs etc) and MOT - walked away paying £40. I'm now pretty much in the same boat insofar as where do I go from here. Pretty much decided that a Green Hell GTR in a couple of years may be the only way forward .

Think we bought on virtually the same day. I'm impressed by mine and Ms oldguy57 and my kids love driving it. Inchcape just did the big service (plugs etc) and MOT - walked away paying £40. I'm now pretty much in the same boat insofar as where do I go from here. Pretty much decided that a Green Hell GTR in a couple of years may be the only way forward .

Is the £40 relating to the service plan cost.

No - MOT cost. I paid for a 3 year service plan upfront to get it out of the way.

Good thinking, I did the service plan on monthly payments. Were you happy with the service? I know the cost of the big service is high.
On the subject of where to go next after the CL I've decided to keep my little track day car and will probably always own one as it allows me to let off steam and besides with todays roads and speed traps etc driving fast on public roads seems to be a risky pastime. Whereas on track you can go as fast as your talent will allow, well it does it for me anyhow.

Good thinking, I did the service plan on monthly payments. Were you happy with the service? I know the cost of the big service is high.
On the subject of where to go next after the CL I've decided to keep my little track day car and will probably always own one as it allows me to let off steam and besides with todays roads and speed traps etc driving fast on public roads seems to be a risky pastime. Whereas on track you can go as fast as your talent will allow, well it does it for me anyhow.

Reasonably happy with the service, (which on its own would have been iro £1350) - a couple of minor issues but nothing important. As I said before wish I lived near Brooklands - everyone I have spoken to speaks highly of their service.
Yep risky business fast cars nowadays, but I have no talent on a track so I just try and behave.

Good to hear the 65 has not been ruinous!

It feels like the cars are built in a different league at this end of the spectrum. The CL certainly feels well put together and solid when driving it.

I suspect apart from bits of complexity failing which are expensive, I'd be very surprised if these suffered a major malfunction in the engine or transmission.

Given how fast my 500 can be, I can well imagine the 65 is nuts (basing the performance on my previous car which was in the same ball park power-wise but a good 200K lighter).

Saying that, and while I never really use the performance of mine at all apart from the odd stretch on a quiet road to clear out the cobwebs, it is very impressive despite the increase in weight.

Birma thanks for the update. Although I will never be in a position to buy one of these, it's intriguing to know what it's like to run for my fantasy car purchase :D

I keep looking at daft 4 seater coupes as a third car, something for an occasion very much like a CL65 kind of car.

There are only two that appeal to me, and realistically these are the only cars that could live up to a CL65 but for very different reasons.

FERRARI FF

Bentley Brooklands AUTO

Whilst the entry price is quite high on both of these, I can't see them depreciating a whole lot (unlike a CL65). So if the capital is available to buy them the long term cost would probably not be dissimilar. (In fact the Ferrari has free servicing for 7 years so it could actualy cost less than the CL65 long term).

The thing is though, when you start looking at alternatives for a CL65 you realise how little there is at that price point and what good value the CL65 is.

The Ferrari is too shouty for me but I do love that Bentley.

I'm sure it's like driving a small country around but it's very appealing.

At 30 to 40 big ones for a pre-facelift, the CL65 is amazing value when you compare it to those suggestions.

Yeah I like the Bentley a lot but it's huge, really vast, like driving Blenheim Palace around.

Imagine trying to find a parking space for it.
I really like the new Bentley such an improvement. I've never liked the lines of the old model Bentley, years ago some car commentator said the rear of the Bentley looked like Vanessa Phelp's backside and I've never been able to get that image out of my head for some reason. Plus it's association as a footballers choice of car has in my opinion put the final nail in its coffin.
Personally myself I have always preferred to have several different cars rather than one for my given budget and as is obvious for a relatively modest outlay the CL65 is good value and looking after it properly is part of getting it at a bargain price as far as I'm concerned. Plus as a youth I've always loved the pillar-less coupe look of big old Mercs.

Plus as a youth I've always loved the pillar-less coupe look of big old Mercs.

Me too. I was a teenager in the later 80s and I remember seeing the odd 560 SEC around with the huge Merc badge on the grille with a big appreciation for it.

Loved the pillar-less design and was one of the reasons I bought a CL.

It's the modern equivalent except I hold a brighter torch for the older one albeit I didn't fancy it as a daily driver.

One for sale on here 3 or 4 years back for £15k from a member of the forum. I was sorely tempted as a second car!

acquisition-abcs-6-638.jpg

Comparison of a big CL, a Bentley, Ferrari, and usually an Aston goes on all the time.
https://www.caranddriver.com/compar...-612-scaglietti-f1-m-b-cl600-comparison-tests

Which looks as if it makes sense, but doesn't, because these three darlings do different things.

If you're a golfer, or crossing Continents, the Ferrari doesn't suit. (Hardly anyone does big mileages in a Ferrari)

If you want reliability and low maintenance cost, CL every day of the week.

Track day at Nurburgring: Ferrari hands down.

if you want to impress them when parked outside of Harrods, sorry CL, the Bentley's beat you by a country mile.

It's all about The Requirements.

The CL's a bargain - but do you want a bargain?

13508322.jpg

Indeed it is, and in my opinion and track record of the car to date it is certainly a bargain. I have to add I do have a track day car to fulfil the need to vent my need for all out speed in a proper environment.
One thing I have learned over many years and many cars is that there are very few cars that can do both road and track well at least on a sensible budget.

Me too. I was a teenager in the later 80s and I remember seeing the odd 560 SEC around with the huge Merc badge on the grille with a big appreciation for it.

Loved the pillar-less design and was one of the reasons I bought a CL.

It's the modern equivalent except I hold a brighter torch for the older one albeit I didn't fancy it as a daily driver.

One for sale on here 3 or 4 years back for £15k from a member of the forum. I was sorely tempted as a second car!

Yes the MB Pillar-Less Coupe Started with the 560SEC which I sold after five years ( Anna has never forgiven me :mad: ) replaced it with the C43 (202) which gave me the AMG bug, then the CL55 ( 215 )and now the 216, they are stunning. Which will a keeper :D

I wonder what kind of power MSL could get out of your V12? Awesome car btw

I wonder what kind of power MSL could get out of your V12? Awesome car btw

I did wonder that too, but to be perfectly honest with you the car is scary fast in it's current spec. I have lost traction a few times without even trying that hard and on one occasion it was heart in mouth/brown trousers moment. Although I'm not scared of the power I do treat it with respect.
For todays roads with unmarked cars and speed cameras I'd far rather take my little 390BHP per tonne track day car for a good blast on a track day.

It's certainly something I've wondered but never asked Acid about.

If they start at 600, you've got to be talking 800 > 900 I would have thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom