6 months into V12 ownership and...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's certainly something I've wondered but never asked Acid about.

If they start at 600, you've got to be talking 800 > 900 I would have thought.

The only thing I can see that might be a problem is putting the power down, I read somewhere that guys in the USA have tuned them to silly power levels with no reliability problems. Mine has a Quaife LSD and it is so easy to loose traction with 600+ so God knows what it's like with greater power. Plus the turbine smooth way the car just gathers speed is something I wouldn't want to alter.
I've just found out that there are only half a dozen technicians who assemble the V12 Uwe Grober who assembled mine also assembled engines for the SLR's.

On the subject of putting the power down, I saw a black Mansory S63 on the M6 this week. Apparently 1000bhp and 1400nms.( Are they really $1.25m?) Judging by the relatively easy way our CL lets go on slightly damp surfaces I would suspect that particular S63 would have to be driven with a measure of circumspection.

On the subject of putting the power down, I saw a black Mansory S63 on the M6 this week. Apparently 1000bhp and 1400nms.( Are they really $1.25m?) Judging by the relatively easy way our CL lets go on slightly damp surfaces I would suspect that particular S63 would have to be driven with a measure of circumspection.

I've never liked anything Mansory have done, I remember a Lotus guy years ago saying they're chavs with a carbon fibre factory, and I think that just about sums it up for me. Someone buys them, it just won't be me a bit later on in its life.

I've never liked anything Mansory have done, I remember a Lotus guy years ago saying they're chavs with a carbon fibre factory, and I think that just about sums it up for me. Someone buys them, it just won't be me a bit later on in its life.

I bought a couple of CF steering wheels for my CL and E from Mansory and the quality of the material and workmanship is just mind blowing. Perfect in every detail (and I like details). The chav in me would buy from Mansory again ;-)

To keep it on topic, how many miles did you put on the 65 in 6 months? Perhaps I missed it.

Looking on tinterweb at some of their conversions, does look as though its a case of changing stuff for the sake of it. Would be interesting to see how the massive increases in power are achieved though.

Looking on tinterweb at some of their conversions, does look as though its a case of changing stuff for the sake of it. Would be interesting to see how the massive increases in power are achieved though.

They usually replace all body panels with CF pieces. So at the very minimum there's a healthy weight saving. I've not seen any power packages until only recently so I doubt there's anything ground breaking in this department.

I bought a couple of CF steering wheels for my CL and E from Mansory and the quality of the material and workmanship is just mind blowing. Perfect in every detail (and I like details). The chav in me would buy from Mansory again ;-)

To keep it on topic, how many miles did you put on the 65 in 6 months? Perhaps I missed it.
2300 odd I set the computer when I bought it. 18 MPG according to computer overall regardless of how I drive it

2300 odd I set the computer when I bought it. 18 MPG according to computer overall regardless of how I drive it

At less than 400 miles per month I'd expect no bills till 2022.

At less than 400 miles per month I'd expect no bills till 2022.
That would be nice, if and when my Phaeton moves on the mileage will go up as I’m using the Phaeton as my daily.

I've not seen any power packages until only recently so I doubt there's anything ground breaking in this department.
What will Mansory be installing then to get 1K bhp? Guessing bigger turbos, forged internals , different heads etc. Presumably gearbox strength also seen to.

Its on the list one day to own a V12!
Well so far I think it's fair to say the prospect of owning one isn't quite as daunting in practice as I first thought.
But I honestly think that's down to luck and a fair bit of research.

This should give some insight into what a tuned v12 can do
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can't drive it in a straight line!!!

This should give some insight into what a tuned v12 can do
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can't drive it in a straight line!!!

Bonkers, and a lot of money no doubt. Having had an SL63 I wouldn't mind an SL65 but I wouldn't change it from standard though. The CL65 is the first car I've ever owned where I agree with myself that the car has sufficient power and no need for any more.

A prefacelift W221 S65 is on the shortlist at the minute but they’re so few and far between that it’s hard to find a “cherished” example. I think they’re such amazing value for money that it’d be rude not to buy one before the eco-fascists take over the world and we’re back to horse and cart.

Ideally looking for black with light interior and no walnut.

A prefacelift W221 S65 is on the shortlist at the minute but they’re so few and far between that it’s hard to find a “cherished” example. I think they’re such amazing value for money that it’d be rude not to buy one before the eco-fascists take over the world and we’re back to horse and cart.

Ideally looking for black with light interior and no walnut.

I agree in time V12 engined cars will be ultra expensive and only the preserve of the very wealthy if they exist at all, so getting one further down the food chain will become more and more difficult I'm sure.
As I have mentioned with mine I did have reservations to start with so I can only repeat what I set as my purchase priorities.
I still think a main dealer service history is the best starting point, I know independents are good but I'd prefer main dealer history and personally wouldn't buy one without unless I'd known the owner and service guy for all it's life.
Mileage, although at 60K these cars are probably only just run in but I'd still try for lower mileage and certainly wouldn't buy one with 100K+ miles regardless.
Having done a bit of research I still think there is a 'sweet spot' with this type of car where both mileage is fairly low and service history is intact. The longer it's left the cheaper the purchase price but there is always the chance a cheapskate could buy the car and ruin it for the next owner

I’ve got a flexible enough budget to buy one it’s just the sheer lack of choice which is the nature of the beast sadly. There was a silver one for sale recently at low 20’s that I liked the look of a month or so ago but it’s gone from view, possibly sold.

The other thing is that as the budget goes up you start to look at what else you can buy for the money, but it’s the rarity that keeps bringing me back to them.

Interesting to see that Bonhams sold a 2005 SL65 42k miles for £43,700. I think this was at Goodwood Revival so perhaps a bit of a skewed market, but nonetheless seems a good price for the seller.

Interesting to see that Bonhams sold a 2005 SL65 42k miles for £43,700. I think this was at Goodwood Revival so perhaps a bit of a skewed market, but nonetheless seems a good price for the seller.

I still quite like the SL65 for sale on e-bay the silver 2007 car, same engine as our cars. Wonder if they would take £40K for it as it's cheaper on their website than e-bay. Not that I have room for it.
When I was at the Goodwood revival a while ago this Black Series SL65 was in pride of place in the front of Bonhams entrance, had a good look round it but still felt the front grills/spoiler looked a bit boy racer like but the construction/quality of the parts were far from Halfords add on bits.
DSC00152.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom