7 Days Free Insurance...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
As many of you know, I'm looking for another car...

I usually use HPI for my checks, as they offer 7 days free insurance with their checks...

That said, this time, Primo said they can cover me if I buy the car, so that works out quite nicely! So I was looking for a cheap/by-txt HPI-type check (as in my other thread).

That said, I stumbled across this link:
Driveaway Insurance

7 days free insurance... I assume they harvest your data, and bug you every year asking you if you want them to give you a quote... but 7 days of free insurance isn't bad!

Annoyingly, it's only for young cars (<10 years old) so utterly useless in my case...

M.

Lots of manufacturer dealerships use the 7days [own brand] free insurance when you buy a new or relatively new car [they get commission!] to try to get you " hooked" :rolleyes:My mate actually had to take it out to qualifiy for an end of quarter discount with FORD. He bought on the last day of the offer and it was the only proof Ford would accept that the deal had gone through- evidently their sales computing system wasn't fast enough to process it in time??? :dk: Usually [but not always]you will find these manufacturer branded products are very comprehensive but expensive compared to a change of vehicle from your existing insurer.:eek: My mate found it was a better deal than his own company quote but I think he had been paying over the odds for years!:doh:

Fully agree regarding them using it as a hook...

When I used HPI for my checks, aviva would offer 7 days free... and then quote me ridiculous amounts for a years insurance...

That said, if you're buying as car and need a way to get it taxed and drive home legally... it's worth wasting the 10 minutes it takes to give them your details ;)

M.

That said, if you're buying as car and need a way to get it taxed and drive home legally... it's worth wasting the 10 minutes it takes to give them your details ;)
That's exactly why I ended up with 7 days drive-away insurance - road tax was needed etc.

Uselful to know the law on this too:

You can tax a car using one day insurance. They are not legally allowed to refuse as the only requirement in law at the time of buying the VED is that the car has a valid V5c or new keepers supliment or VED reminder AND a valid MoT for the car (if needed) AND valid insurance which covers the car on the day of taxing.

In the real world, most post offices will argue that they cannot accept, but DVLA offices will accept it and my local post office does after I spent an hour educating them.

Just thought it may help someone. If buying a 12 year old car like mine the only quick option is someone like dayinsure etc.

there must be age limits on this? I'm 23.....

Had the 7-day free insurance from Aviva when I bought the car... the sales guy 'warned' me that they seem to actually work out cheaper than others and that many owners choose to get their policy from them anyway. And he was right... they were cheapest. I phoned-up Tesco who insured my previous car to ask if they can match Aviva's price - and they couldn't... so I stayed with Aviva ever since. But I assume that you didn't actually take-out a policy with the providers of the 7-day free insurance, they would just send you a proposal in the post every year just before the renewal date.

I got this on mine from the dealer and the follow on quote was also competitive so they won my business.

Indeed I have used drive away insurance a few times now (although this is the first time I have found the main quote to be competitive) however the level of follow up calls is minuscule compared to what you get from the likes of Go Compare and Confused.

BTW

Many car dealers now have the ability to print their own tax disk on site so no risk of a jobsworth post office clerk getting funny about it.

@MARK said:
I got this on mine from the dealer and the follow on quote was also competitive so they won my business.

Indeed I have used drive away insurance a few times now (although this is the first time I have found the main quote to be competitive) however the level of follow up calls is minuscule compared to what you get from the likes of Go Compare and Confused.

BTW

Many car dealers now have the ability to print their own tax disk on site so no risk of a jobsworth post office clerk getting funny about it.

Thanks for the info on the tax disc, gonna be useful this weekend hehe

Had the 7-day free insurance from Aviva when I bought the car... the sales guy 'warned' me that they seem to actually work out cheaper than others and that many owners choose to get their policy from them anyway.
I was told the opposite and it was also correct! Aviva wanted £3800 for the insurance, Admiral was closer to a grand. The poor bloke at Aviva didn't want to tell me the quote it was that bad!

Another customer who drove away the same weekend in an Audi Allroad was quoted about £8k by Aviva and he got insurance from somewhere else for a fraction of that.

Same here - aviva used to give me ridiculous quotes; usually near the value of the car when I use the 7-day insurance.

Oddly, if you then go to their site and get a quote, the price is a fraction of what they give you on the phone for the 7-day insurance....

M.

I was told the opposite and it was also correct! Aviva wanted £3800 for the insurance, Admiral was closer to a grand. The poor bloke at Aviva didn't want to tell me the quote it was that bad!

Another customer who drove away the same weekend in an Audi Allroad was quoted about £8k by Aviva and he got insurance from somewhere else for a fraction of that.

CLK55 AMG <--> C180K

I guess it depends on what you drive :D

Aviva were the cheapest so far each year on the renewal so I stayed with them. Was with Tesco before that, and when I was about to leave them I called them up, initially they did try to match the price but eventually told me they can't...

But again it really depends on your circumstances - mine worked cheapest with Aviva, for someone else Aviva may prove to be the dearest.

A bit bonkers, the car insurance market, if you ask me. :dk:

Same here - aviva used to give me ridiculous quotes; usually near the value of the car when I use the 7-day insurance.

Oddly, if you then go to their site and get a quote, the price is a fraction of what they give you on the phone for the 7-day insurance....

M.

Just to say... I got the quotes from the website, not based on the 7-day insurance. I didn't realise they would be a difference to be honest.

there must be age limits on this? I'm 23.....

I was told it was 21 by the dealer, but on the terms they do a excess for under 21 in the case of an accident.

However i was refused First Cover insurance by Mercedes because i was under 25 and had an AMG.

But again it really depends on your circumstances - mine worked cheapest with Aviva, for someone else Aviva may prove to be the dearest.

A bit bonkers, the car insurance market, if you ask me. :dk:
Like you I took the 7-days MB/Aviva insurance whilst I got a cheaper quote, but their quote was so competitive that I'm still with them! All our other cars are with Chubb, and whilst they were almost as cheap they wanted a Tracker fitted and I really hate those with a passion...

Like you I took the 7-days MB/Aviva insurance whilst I got a cheaper quote, but their quote was so competitive that I'm still with them! All our other cars are with Chubb, and whilst they were almost as cheap they wanted a Tracker fitted and I really hate those with a passion...

One of the many benefits I found with MB/Aviva Insurance apart from being the cheapest for a C63 was the fact that I was allowed to use my full no claims bonus that I currently have on my second car. Plus having a Tracker fitted was not a condition of the insurance.

My Aviva quote was quite bad too and she started to apologise stating the reason being I am under 35. Admiral was more than half what they quote.

I always use the free 7 days insurance when changing my car because then I am still insured for my present car and my 7 day insurance is used to tax my new car for when I am ready to collect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom