722.6 Gearbox oil level problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blitz500sl

Car
92' R129 500SL - 04' E500 Estate - 09' Smart 451 CDI
I recently carried out a pan fluid and filter change on my CLK220. About 4 litres came out and I refilled 4 litres back. But for some reason my Dip stick is constantly reading the oil level right at the bottom of the stick and this is after I gave it a 20 minute drive.

So far Ive added an extra 2-3 litres but it is still reading at the bottom of the stick. The gearbox shifts fine. I just dont know whats going on. Either is under filled or over filled judging by how much extra Ive put it.

This is the dip stick I have Mercedes Transmission Gearbox Dipstick Tool 722.6 W203 W208 W210 W211 W220 ML CL | eBay

Don't recognise that dipstick. Should have an end like this one

Sealey

Isn't there 2 different lengths of dipstick for the transmission?. One with a red cap and one black?.

Thought it was Red - ATF, Black - engine oil

Factory dipstick. The little diamond shape rests on a restriction inside the box to always give the correct reading.

That thing you're using is totally wrong. And I wouldn't continue driving with it possibly 2-3 litres overfilled.

Last edited:
Either buy one from the Main Dealer, if they will sell you one ? or buy the Sealey one online. Then you know it's the proper tool.

I have a cheap one which is a copy of the original, works fine.

Hi,
on reading this thread I thought I would make a dip stick to at least give me a reference point to match the current level to
(no reason to believe its not ok at present)
If I get the option to compare against a "True" dipstick at least I can then confirm the levels :thumb:

Used a push bike gear change cable with the nipple cut off, so a 2mm flexible wire cable the gearbox dip tube cap had already had the tamper cap removed ;) so inserted to feel a stop and an oil level noted
to ensure the "dip cable" always inserted to the same depth I taped the top end of the wire through the centre of a "squirty cream plastic nozzle" it fits what can I say same level each dip.
To note where the oil level is, I found it easier to put some electrical cable shrink wrap on the end so the oil shows easily

If I get around to doing a partial drain and refill at least I will have a reference point to work to.

hi, i just checked mine & it was low, hot gear oil correct level is about 6CM from the tip of the black bit or if you have numbers 1-12 like mine its around number 11. if you look at the picture you will see original mercedes dipstick has the little diamond shape stop. most sticks off ebay are now made this way. I believe the first "stop" you feel may be the tip of the stick passing the bottom of the tube where there is a slight lip & the second "stop" is the diamond hitting the lip just as it should. the stick never hits the bottom unless its a really cheapo without the stop.

Attachments​

• Dipstickmercedes.jpg
    Dipstickmercedes.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 0

hi, i just checked mine & it was low, hot gear oil correct level is about 6CM from the tip of the black bit or if you have numbers 1-12 like mine its around number 11. if you look at the picture you will see original mercedes dipstick has the little diamond shape stop. most sticks off ebay are now made this way. I believe the first "stop" you feel may be the tip of the stick passing the bottom of the tube where there is a slight lip & the second "stop" is the diamond hitting the lip just as it should. the stick never hits the bottom unless its a really cheapo without the stop.

Attachments​

• Dipstickmercedes.jpg
    Dipstickmercedes.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 0
It’s not just hot oil buddy , it’s also engine running when the reading is taken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom