722.9 7g-tronic starting in 1st, not 2nd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremy156

Car
1995 E320 Coupe
According to the manual, my W221 S320CDI should pull off in first gear when in "S" mode and second gear when in "C" mode. Similarly it should choose from two ratios when reversing according to that selector. Additionally, it should change up earlier and change down later in C than S.

In my 2007 S-class, this isn't happening, there is no difference in behaviour between C and S modes for the gearbox (although the dash indicator changes and I feel the associated change in suspension damping).

I've read many tales of woe regarding the clunky changes and I have that also, but this business of always using 1st gear to pull off seems unusual according to my searches. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any knowledge of what could be happening?

I've had the gearbox and engine software updated recently - but this behaviour continues.

Should I be asking for my garage to look at something mechanical? Which variables affect whether to pull off in 2nd or 1st, other than throttle position (kickdown), perhaps a sensor somewhere failing?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated,
Jeremy

Last edited:
Discussed further with the garage and it turns out this is as designed - the W221 with the OM642 engine will always pull off in first, not second, contrary to what the book says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom