7g Plus gearboxes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
I was contemplating my first ATF change as knocking on the door of 40k.

However, having read a recent post on here that 7g Plus gearboxes don't need a change for at least 75k, how can one tell if that gearbox is fitted?

From what I've read, it appears the change happened in my car when they were facelifted and the dropped in all the BlueEfficiency stuff (including the 4.7 TT engine).

Is this the case?

I've looked up my chassis number but I can't really deduce anything from that.

Is it not on the data card? - I'm pretty sure when I decode my VIN it tells me the transmission that's installed.

Has these entries related to transmission from my VIN and none seem to highlight whether non-plus or plus:

722909 03 680854 [transmissionType = GA]
427 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
G909 - TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 09
GA - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

:dk:

I was relieved to discover the car does have an A24 - JOINT FLANGE, 4-ARM 120, though.

:D

Definitely a plus... MB introduced the 7G Tronic+ gearboxes in >2010.

I thought the code 722.9 was a 7G-Tronic and 724.2 was a 7G-Tronic+

Doesn't that article only apply to the S- R- and E-Class?

I thought the code 722.9 was a 7G-Tronic and 724.2 was a 7G-Tronic+

Doesn't that article only apply to the S- R- and E-Class?

My car has the 722.9 (722965) tranny and it is the 7g+ confirmed by my local dealer.

All models from >2010 with the Eco Stop/Start and 722.9 boxes have 7g+.

Check here and see this youtube video at 5:09 where it names all models with 7g+.

Last edited:
The PDF states "and in the CLClass with the new V8 gasoline engine" which came in 2010 ish so I guess it does.

Maybe the 7g non-plus can't handle stop/start...

Surprised me a regular slushy auto could handle it though.

this youtube video at 5:09 where it names all models with 7g+.

They confirm in the video it is cars with Stop/Start that have it and even the car they are driving around in in that video is the same facelift CL I have so pretty sure it is.

Many thanks.

I now need to decide when to get the fluid changed. I've read 55k (your preferred interval), 60k on that link to the other MB site you posted and 75k.

I'm happy to do mine more often as I don't really like the idea of 75k per change. I remember the "sealed for life" debacle... meaning a life of 10 minutes instead of the life of the car!

They confirm in the video it is cars with Stop/Start that have it and even the car they are driving around in in that video is the same facelift CL I have so pretty sure it is.

Many thanks.

I now need to decide when to get the fluid changed. I've read 55k (your preferred interval), 60k on that link to the other MB site you posted and 75k.

I'm happy to do mine more often as I don't really like the idea of 75k per change. I remember the "sealed for life" debacle... meaning a life of 10 minutes instead of the life of the car!

I do mine every 50k miles just for peace of mind. That's what my MB dealer recommends too.

Insist to have the TC fluid flushed as MB dealers don't do it in the service plans.

Last edited:
I do mine every 50k miles just for peace of mind. That's what my MB dealer recommends too.

Insist to have the TC fluid flushed as MB dealers don't do it in the service plans.

I'm happy with that figure. Easy to remember as well.

Not a lot of money for keeping what is really quite an astounding gearbox running smoothly.

I use Wright Tech as BM posted earlier - they do the whole lot.

They did 2 ATF changes on my 722.6 in the E55 and I never once had any problems in 5.5 years - with quite a bit more power running through it than standard too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom