'93 W124 Coupe Stereo Inoperative / Source of Unswitched 12V Power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CreosoteChris

Car
1993 300CE
Hello – My 93 220CE had an intermittent stereo cut-out problem (aftermarket mid-90s Sony head unit / CD Changer)

- Head unit would apparently lose power, then a few seconds later come back to life, and continue where it left off
- The frequency of the problem was highly variable, sometimes happening every few minutes, but sometimes the unit worked fine for numerous weeks, without the issue recurring
- Problem did not appear to be a physical loose connection, didn’t seem to be related to going over bumps / getting shaken around.
- Electric aerial also stopped working – note that the aerial seemed to be wired to activate with ignition, not with stereo power-up (so it elevated even without the face-plate of the Sony in place.

A couple of weeks ago it stopped altogether, never came back on. I pulled out the head unit Saturday and started investigating with a multimeter. As you’d expect for a car of this age, there’s evidence of amateur wiring-jobs behind the unit, a bit messy but not the worst by a long chalk. I started testing the voltages, and discovered that the red/white cable (should be 12V un-switched, stereo memory “keepalive” signal) was only reading around 1.8V. Tried shorting this with the 12V switched power, and the unit came to life.

Don’t have much confidence (unless someone with suitable insight tells me otherwise) that fixing the signal to the standard red/white cable is likely – so I’m thinking that I need to find 12V unswitched power somewhere else. Obviously I could run a cable from the battery terminal, but that involves going through the firewall, installing an inline fuse-holder etc., and I’d rather avoid further bodge-ups.

Is there another location, preferably dashboard area, to get 12V unswitched power in a ‘93 W124 coupe? Any advice on this (or root-causing the 1.8V signal) appreciated.

Chris
93 220CE red / black leather, 101K, Manchester

Fixed

The source of unswitched power I was looking for was W124 Electrical Option Connector "X30". Reading through the info on the web page about the accessories and fuses used, I remembered that my interior courtesy light wasn’t working, and realised it pointed to Fuse 9 (I actually did a visual check on Saturday at the start of my diagnosis but didn’t try changing it).

After replacement of that fuse (wire not broken but terminals very oxidised-looking) the courtesy light and aerial started working - plugged in the stereo and so did that.

I feel a bit dumb for not realising sooner / testing the obvious sooner, but certainly happy that I’ve solved my issue.

Regards Chris

Connector X30

Chris

Whereabouts is the X30 situated on UK cars ?
Is it under the "footrest" .....driver's footwell LHS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom