'98 202 C250 TD (w/ AC) V-belt replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Mine's looking a bit shabby (been looking that way for a good old while TBH) so I decided to change it.

AFAI can see on WIS they recommend taking the fan off & the shroud out. The problem is someone has had a go at the bolt holding the fan on & I can't get anything to work to take it our, can't even tell if it's a star or hexagonal such is the state of it (which is it?).

Question is, can I fit the belt leaving the fan & shroud in place or do I just drive it until the belt goes & worry about it then?

TIA.

You can change it without removing anything, only the tensioner needs to be touched.

The fan's mounted to the viscous unit by 3 x hex bolts. You will skin your knuckles.

Is it? I didn't see anything other than the centre bolt.

I'll have a look again when the weather goes away. I thought it was going to be a simple job but it's turning into a PITA.

It’s dead easy, if a diesel is the same as a petrol?
If you have a damaged nut then you can remove the plastic dust cover and you may be able to do as your man does in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSDmtxilH1c

Dec

you can replace it without removing anything. you just have to wind the belt through the fan iyswim. loop it over a few blades, turn fan a bit, loop more etc. stick a bar into the tensioner spring hole, and lever to get idler to move.

10 mins, tops.

Guy,

So I just cut off the old one, feed the new one through & around everything putting it on all the pulleys except the tensioner one & then lever that one to create slack & allow the final loop to go on?

Is that about it?

It’s dead easy, if a diesel is the same as a petrol?
If you have a damaged nut then you can remove the plastic dust cover and you may be able to do as your man does in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSDmtxilH1c

Dec

Different I'm afraid. With the fan & shroud still on (& the intake pipe going across the front & top of the engine) there's nothing like the space that guy has to work with.

Is doable without removing fan and shroud.

A bit tight, but doable.

Oh, and watch your knuckles.

To close this thread, the way to do this is to loosen & then remove the bolt holding the tensioner in place. A complete doddle after that. nothing else needs to be touched or removed.

Thanks to Nick at Euromerc, where I bought the belt, who educated me on this point.

I undo the slam panel bracket and lean it out the way then you can lean the rad forward about 3 inches which makes it much easier.

to answer OP's question, its an allen bolt about 6mm IIRC, it's made of cheese when when youre feeling brave you can remove the rad and drill it out (once through the head of the bolt the visco clutch will fall off then you can unthread the remainder of the bolt with your fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom