A 124 / W124 Autodrop windows on Cabriolet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roystone

Car
Toyota camry
Hi all,
I am considering acquiring a 320 Cabriolet in need of a some work.

I have searched for info on this site and google but am not familiar with the cabriolet.

When I went to view it apart from needing a new cabriolet the windows did not drop when I opened the door ( I am assuming they should as they did on my previous coupe may years ago) is this correct?

Also the seat belt presenters were not working, so I assumed there was something adrift, are they linked

Appreciate your help as I do not tend to see many as they should be.

On my 124 cabriolet, the windows do NOT drop slightly as I open the doors. There's nothing in the handbook saying they should, so I've assumed that's normal. (They used to do that on my 2005 Saab, but not on the 1995 Saab I had before that - so maybe the idea came in round about 2000?)

When you say the seat-belt presenters aren't working, how have you tested them? They respond when you've RECENTLY opened the relevant door and then turn the ignition on. If there's no such response, it could be a wiring fault, or a fault in the control unit or sensors involved (sensors for door opening and for seat-belt closure). If they do respond, but make a grinding noise rather than moving, the sensing is correct but the plastic gears involved in driving the arm are worn out.

Hi Thanks for the response, I can assume the windows are correct in dropping then and that the presenters have an electrical fault as no noise or movement is detected either side.

I just have to see if my offer is accepted or not :) if not I will continue to look for the right vehicle.

If all else is good, remember that the seat-belt presenters are only a convenience - it's perfectly possible to turn round slightly and reach back with your more distant arm, as you would in any car. It's just a few inches farther to reach.

If all else is good, remember that the seat-belt presenters are only a convenience - it's perfectly possible to turn round slightly and reach back with your more distant arm, as you would in any car. It's just a few inches farther to reach.

Good advice. Non-working presenters shouldn't be a deal-breaker but a negotiating gambit.

If both are not working it might be quite a cheap fix.

RayH

How old is the car? I ask because on my 1994 R129 the windows do not drop, but on Doodle's 1996 they do, so the change was about 1995. I doubt MB would have fitted them to the R129 after the W124, so it seems reasonable to assume the W124 would be the same.

How old is the car? I ask because on my 1994 R129 the windows do not drop, but on Doodle's 1996 they do, so the change was about 1995. I doubt MB would have fitted them to the R129 after the W124, so it seems reasonable to assume the W124 would be the same.

I have a 94 124 cabrio, and the windows correctly don't drop. The roof seals were changed on the 129 to allow the windows to slot into them after dropping, rather than butting up against them. Bearing in mind they didn't make so many 124 cabrios (or other models, for that matter, with the 210 on its way) after 95, I doubt they would have introduced these changes from an economy perspective, but I may be wrong.

As said, the butlers shouldn't be a deal breaker. Just make sure that the roof and tombstones, which have a separate switch on the dash and work independently of the roof, work as they should. The windows should drop fully whilst opening the roof, and close fully as part of the opening cycle, if you choose them to do so by keeping your finger on the switch.

Try and avoid stabbing yourself in the forehead with the roof lock handles when they are open - it hurts like hell!

Hi The car is claimed 96 but is I believe actually a 95 320, american spec LHD. So has a 4 speed gearbox, colour red, with sand/beige interior. Missing some small trim bits like the seat button to fold the drivers seat, trim on the side of the seat belt presenters is "burnt" from the sun and needs changing and the roof is scrap, inside and out but works. Have found a replacement roof complete for 1600 euros. For some reason the door trim on the passenger side at the bottom under the armrest has moved and is not tight to the upper portion. Interior is generally good with seat bases been recovered. Car has had a bash in the boot which has now been fixed but the shut lines are not even on boot lid. No signs of damage on the rear wing seems in the boot, but it trim is messy. I have not had time ot go through the car as I would like and am not an expert. I have had to make an offerr and if I ge it i wil face the consequences :) . Claimed milege of 90 000 no documentation. Car looks straight presents well and has original 8 hole alloys.

I would have thought you could have a new soft top fitted for similar money by a good trimmer, assuming the framework is all okay. Some carbrio specific parts will be hard to find, and I'd check the tombstones (rear headrests) are working ok, in light of the rear bash. Good luck either way.

Depends on what money is being asked? Has all the hallmarks of an abused /neglected car. I would pass unless its cheap as chips.

Hi All

To answer the Qs

MD5 - I believe you are right, Carhood warehouse are quoting 1200 for a completely installed inside and out Mohair https://www.carhood.com/mercedes/ - does anyone have experience of these?

grober - I am somewhere between abused/neglected, as being an american import I have found out that it was damaged and I have seen the pictures and this entails the rear boot lid having taken a bash right in the middle high level - it was then sold through the insurance company. Hence as is often the case no documentation being present, but generally clean everywhere else but worn due to sun etc. Cheap as chips it isnt but it is LHD and the prices are higher.

Colour is red ( flat ) but no rust anywhere.

MD5 nice car not sold RHD looks much tidier than the one I am looking at currently in the passenger compartment very similar under the bonnet.

Finally a price is agreed so I will be taking possesion and looking to get the cabrioet retrimmed.

Pic of damage

Attached a jpg of the car pre repair, this is the extent of the damage otehr than this the car is straight. now the shut on the boot lid is not good, or not as good as it could be LHS gap is wider than RHS.

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 25
Final message re this thread

Hi all thanks for the info.

To update,

Car has had a new hood by carhood wharehouse cost 1200 gbp - excellent job looks nice and interior colour is good.

Went in and out exactly as they promised.

Minor items to sort now :) but have the time hopefully over the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom