A bit sad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On second thought, let's forget the popular choice of the BBC viewers... lets go for Jeremy Clarkson's choice, the famed Isambard Kingdom Brunel. There's a proper Briton for you.

....not, again.

Let's look at some things dear to our hearts.

Tarmac - John McAdam
Pneumatic tyres - John Dunlop

Both Britons.

It is very reassuring to know then, that the greatest Briton of all times (according to BBC viewers) was an Englishman through and through :thumb:

.....not.

you have lost me completely; but for me as a Briton I would choose William Wallace or maybe Oliver Cromwell

you have lost me completely; but for me as a Briton I would choose William Wallace or maybe Oliver Cromwell

I was referring to this:

100 Greatest Britons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And William Wallace and Oliver Cromwell are both on the list (the former didn't make it into the top 10 so not showing on the Wikipedia link above, but he is somewhere on the full list).

My offering would be Joseph Swan, if it wasn't for him we'd be even more in the dark than we are now!

BBC - Press Office - Top 10 Great Britons

That's the top ten in alphabetic order....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the list in correct sequence:

Sir Winston Churchill, (1874–1965), British politician, Prime Minister during World War II
Isambard Kingdom Brunel, (1806–1859), civil engineer, creator of the Great Western Railway, and designer of numerous significant ships, tunnels and bridges.
Diana Spencer (1961–1997), first wife of Charles, Prince of Wales (marriage 1981–1996), and mother of Prince William, now Duke of Cambridge, and Prince Harry of Wales
Charles Darwin (1809–1882), naturalist, originator of the theory of evolution through natural selection and author of On the Origin of Species.
William Shakespeare (1564–1616), English poet and playwright, thought of by many as the greatest of all writers.
Sir Isaac Newton (1643–1727), physicist, originator of the laws of classical mechanics and gravity.
Queen Elizabeth I of England (1533–1603), monarch (reigned 1558–1603)
John Lennon (1940–1980), musician with The Beatles, philanthropist, peace activist, artist
Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson (1758–1805), naval commander
Oliver Cromwell (1599–1658), Lord Protector

Last edited:

BBC - Press Office - Top 10 Great Britons

That's the top ten in alphabetic order....

That's the list in correct sequence:

Sir Winston Churchill, (1874–1965), British politician, Prime Minister during World War II
Isambard Kingdom Brunel, (1806–1859), civil engineer, creator of the Great Western Railway, and designer of numerous significant ships, tunnels and bridges.
Diana Spencer (1961–1997), first wife of Charles, Prince of Wales (marriage 1981–1996), and mother of Prince William, now Duke of Cambridge, and Prince Harry of Wales
Charles Darwin (1809–1882), naturalist, originator of the theory of evolution through natural selection and author of On the Origin of Species.
William Shakespeare (1564–1616), English poet and playwright, thought of by many as the greatest of all writers.
Sir Isaac Newton (1643–1727), physicist, originator of the laws of classical mechanics and gravity.
Queen Elizabeth I of England (1533–1603), monarch (reigned 1558–1603)
John Lennon (1940–1980), musician with The Beatles, philanthropist, peace activist, artist
Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson (1758–1805), naval commander
Oliver Cromwell (1599–1658), Lord Protector

I concur with you on that one Les but would also like to add John Lennon to the strike off as well. :) (Ducks and covers:D)

No Jade Goody ?

John Lennon was immensely talented, he deserves his place, and he sent his gong back:)

But he (dare I say it) married a foreigner :eek:

I disagree with Churchill being No1. WWI disasters & WWII betrayals (not worth going into here ) BUT COULD A MOD PUT A STOP TO THIS THREAD, going a bit far from my original post & a few veiled insults seem to be flying about & it is becoming to actually be what the title of this thread is "A BIT SAD"

Easiest way to stop it is to take it off thread and start talking about football.

Team GB anyone ????

But he (dare I say it) married a foreigner :eek:

So what, its any type of royal that I have no time for, ours just happen to be Germans. I don't even dislike them that much, Andrew excepted, it what they stand for...their symbolic value. Verstehen?

So what, its any type of royal that I have no time for, ours just happen to be Germans. I don't even dislike them that much, Andrew excepted, it what they stand for...their symbolic value. Verstehen?

Once again - our current Royal family are NOT German.

Whatever concept of this you have in your mind - please leave it there.

I get a feeling you are a bit anti-German, pro- ??????

I can see no problem about them being German, or with Germans per se, I think its you that’s confused on the issue. My problem is that I am embarrassed that we still have this medieval relic in a 21st century democracy, them being Germans is a bit of fun to wind up the cap doffers with.

I can see no problem about them being German, or with Germans per se, I think its you that’s confused on the issue. My problem is that I am embarrassed that we still have this medieval relic in a 21st century democracy, them being Germans is a bit of fun to wind up the cap doffers with.

German or not, educated or not, at least HMQ has a reasonable grasp of grammar. Perhaps you should brush up on the Queen's English a little...

OK Wes.

Which of the current Royal Family ARE German ?

German or not, educated or not, at least HMQ has a reasonable grasp of grammar. Perhaps you should brush up on the Queen's English a little...

Inglissh is an evolving "*******" language with few rules for everyday discourse. Being understood is really the only requirement. My guess from your avatar that you are perhaps a foreign gentleman whose native twang is rigid and inflexible, so please do not tell me how to write, unless of course you do not understand. The Queen's English no longer exists; even toffs have adopted an estuarine slang.

Lost an argument comes back with insults:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom