A call out to all C55 owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
A call out to all C55 AMG owners (W203 2006 Estate if possible)

PLEASE take a photo of your rear brake disc calliper (thru the spokes will be enough) and post it or PM me.

My dilemma is posted on this forum under 'Wheels, tyres suspension brakes etc' in the Maintenance section.

This is driving me nuts ! :wallbash:

Petrol Pete said:
A call out to all C55 AMG owners (W203 2006 Estate if possible) PLEASE take a photo of your rear brake disc calliper (thru the spokes will be enough) and post it or PM me. My dilemma is posted on this forum under 'Wheels, tyres suspension brakes etc' in the Maintenance section. This is driving me nuts ! :wallbash:

Did you get what you needed?

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.
SPOT ON !

That's exactly how mine look, so I am not going mad after all. Just out of intrest have you done (or had done) any work on the rear brakes ? including pins and spring.

Thanks again.

New pins. They seize up with crud and sometimes have to be drilled out. I have often toyed with the idea of fitting a bigger brake kit, just for the appearance. But I'm too lazy now and the car really needs some more TLC.

New pins. They seize up with crud and sometimes have to be drilled out. I have often toyed with the idea of fitting a bigger brake kit, just for the appearance. But I'm too lazy now and the car really needs some more TLC.
Almost every person I have heard that did a rear brake update end up having to do the front as well as the car looks unbalanced with 4 pots on the rear almost the same size as those on the front.

But I digress.

You can always try and find SLK/CLK 6 pot fronts, 4 pot rears. They sometimes pop up.

New I paid 2800 for complete CLK63 brakes on my C55.

I wouldn't do it again if I went back in time lol.

I have no intention of moddding the brakes, just trying to determine if mine are stock. So far so confused, the ones brucemillar has match mine...but neither match what Mercedes Benz say they build in Bremen in 2006 !

it's not a big deal , just curious. I will get to the bottom of it one day.

Pete. If it helps. My car is a 2004 W203 C55 Estate. All the other C55's, I have seen that are stock, have the same calipers as in my pic.

Pete. If it helps. My car is a 2004 W203 C55 Estate. All the other C55's, I have seen that are stock, have the same calipers as in my pic.
Thanks. But I wonder why the main MB dealer can't see that.?

They have given up and told me to bugger off by giving me a technical helpline to call.

It's no biggy, but I am still curious and will get round to solving the 'problem' one day.

Cheers

It is one of the quirks of AMG ownership. Many believe (wrongly) that almost every part will be stamped or labelled 'AMG'. I have lost count of the amount people who have proudly proclaimed to me "that's not a real AMG, it doesn't have xxx".
What I have learned over the years is that AMG (like many other tuning houses) used what was available to them at that point in time. They also (in the earlier days) concentrated on function, over styling, for many parts of the car. My guess would be, On the 55's they used the bigger front calipers, as they were functional requirements and the 'stock' Mercedes calipers on the rears, as they were functional and available.

IMO; The car would suit the bigger 'AMG branded' rear calipers. But then you lose the originality of the car. That said, as AMG were building around a stock Mercedes shell, you could argue that is exactly what they were doing ;^)

One of the other "quirks" in the 55 is the front end of the car is 'stretched' to accommodate the V8 and transmission. This meant using longer wings from the stock W203. All the arches are rolled to allow for the wider and bigger wheels. There are so many small differences that are unseen. People always focus on what they can see and what they believe is 'correct'.

It is one of the quirks of AMG ownership. Many believe (wrongly) that almost every part will be stamped or labelled 'AMG'. I have lost count of the amount people who have proudly proclaimed to me "that's not a real AMG, it doesn't have xxx".
What I have learned over the years is that AMG (like many other tuning houses) used what was available to them at that point in time. They also (in the earlier days) concentrated on function, over styling, for many parts of the car. My guess would be, On the 55's they used the bigger front calipers, as they were functional requirements and the 'stock' Mercedes calipers on the rears, as they were functional and available.

IMO; The car would suit the bigger 'AMG branded' rear calipers. But then you lose the originality of the car. That said, as AMG were building around a stock Mercedes shell, you could argue that is exactly what they were doing ;^)

One of the other "quirks" in the 55 is the front end of the car is 'stretched' to accommodate the V8 and transmission. This meant using longer wings from the stock W203. All the arches are rolled to allow for the wider and bigger wheels. There are so many small differences that are unseen. People always focus on what they can see and what they believe is 'correct'.
Like I said when I joined the world of AMG in December, the C55 was the 'low cost' option for me just to have a nice V8. The longer I own the car (its my only car and my daily commuter) the more I like it.

The rarity was not a factor when I bought it but I am actually starting to enjoy the fact that I have yet to see another one on the road. I also enjoy pointing out all the (many) differences from a normal W203 C class - many unseen- to anyone who will listen...they normally start to drift away long before I get to the bit about the rolled wheel arches.

Strange that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom