A-class W168 original. Due a comeback?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R1CHA

Car
R63
Hi guys

in a world where its hard to buy an older car for a reasonable price due to investors who only care about profit or bragging rights. I even looked up the original Fiat Panda (yes i owned a Sergio Tacchini with no radio when i was 18) only to find they have a huge following and are no longer easy to find or cheap. I turned to the original W168 Mercedes A-class. I think they are due a comeback. I would love an original low ish mileage Avantgarde in Grey preferably with the roof. I think they are an under appreciated bit of design and are a future classic.

they are due a comeback. I would love an original low ish mileage Avantgarde in Grey preferably with the roof.

All A classes have a roof:D
They are still out there, but finding a low mileage is getting hard.
What do you call a low mileage? (Under 50K)?

This looks well looked after,and its the preferred manual (avoid auto early A CLasses), and 96k is acceptable IMO
Mercedes Benz A class | eBay

28279580_10155709544192284_7030376700124704281_n.jpg

Love our's ;)

Reactions: GLK
Yes i think under 50k would be nice but not essential. when i say roof i mean the sun roof

i also need the first model before the facelift. I was lucky enough to buy a designo interior but some bits only fit the pre facelift

When you say avoid early auto a-class, is that just the auto or is that all early a-class. I really don't fancy the auto clutch if thats what you mean

@AMGeed

I seem to remember the auto in my inde's A200 is a slushy which I thought were pretty reliable (?).

The early CVTs are shyte though - maybe the A Class got them later on?

The pre-facelift had three gearbox options: manual, clutch-less, and auto.

The general consensus is to avoid the auto, and don't even think about clutch-less (it was dropped in 2001 facelift).

For what it worth, if well looked after, the auto box could serve well - I had my old W168 fitted with re-conditioned TCU at 107k on the clock, and it is still running fine, I'm told by the new owner - I sold it almost three years ago.

This is how it looked when it was sold:
39820336445_8077cac8f8_c.jpg

@AMGeed

I seem to remember the auto in my inde's A200 is a slushy which I thought were pretty reliable (?).

The early CVTs are shyte though - maybe the A Class got them later on?

As GLK above, I meant the full auto. I heard and read many bad things about the old autos in these A classes I deliberately avoided one and got a manual one for the missus.
It was trouble free whilst she had it.

You chaps are confusing the 168 and 169 - the latter had CVT box (as is the W245), but the 168 had a 'normal' auto.

In my experience, both are fine, but then I do try to look after them :)

I suppose my inde is in a good position to sort out a duff auto...

One thing I notice with it, and I think the car is a 2000/W, is that the auto is quite "keen" to press on (especially at low speeds) and the changes are not exactly smooth and unnoticeable - albeit not violent or seemingly faulty.

You chaps are confusing the 168 and 169 - the latter had CVT box (as is the W245), but the 168 had a 'normal' auto.

In my experience, both are fine, but then I do try to look after them :)

I am talking the cars pictured above but as the B Class got CVT, I wrongly assumed the A did too at some point... I was thinking of the clutchless auto which you kindly pointed out.

I am talking the cars pictured above but as the B Class got CVT, I wrongly assumed the A did too at some point... I was thinking of the clutchless auto which you kindly pointed out.
Yes, it did - the 169 A-class, as pictured above (the black one) :)
The 168 also had that silly clutchless contraption, that most people end up converting to a full manual ...

One thing I notice with it, and I think the car is a 2000/W, is that the auto is quite "keen" to press on (especially at low speeds) and the changes are not exactly smooth and unnoticeable - albeit not violent or seemingly faulty.
The 169 auto (CVT) is certainly a lot smoother.

Yes, it did - the 169 A-class, as pictured above (the black one) :)

LOL! I thought that was a B Class...

The 169 auto (CVT) is certainly a lot smoother.

They are good gearboxes when made well. We had a Honda CVT for 8 years and it never put a foot wrong.

I can't say the same for Nissan CVTs.

I bought my C169 A200 three years ago, with 29k on the clock and FMSH, put it on a Service Care Plan, and had a scheduled ATF done two years ago.
I never shift to gear, until the revs drop to under 1000rpm (on advice of Forrera), and so far it's been problem-free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom