A clean SL55, but busy roads ...... trackday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RattlerRattler

Car
SL 55
Cleaned the SL today and took her out for a spirited bimble on the local roads, loved it, but......

......couldn't get any decent space to really stretch her legs, the trouble is with this much torque and speed, you just seem to catch up anything else on the road really quickly and have to back off......maybe going out very early or late is the answer..... or maybe a track day would work?

I raced motorbikes for a few years and got my speed kicks that way and now I've given that up (too many injuries and old age ;) ) - maybe the track beckons on 4 wheels? But the thought of no overtaking (if that's true) is putting me off, I want to go fast in straight and curved lines.....

Need to investigate more.....
Tim

Sounds like a day at VMax is what you need Tim:thumb:

It is surprising how quick you can gain on traffic ahead of you with just a slight squeeze of the pedal:D
These big engines do need an long open road to stretch their legs properly.

You can overtake, just on the straights and only one side. Its to stop it becoming a race.

If you wanted to go a little bit further, hillclimbing is a very easy sport to get into with a standard road legal car.

.....maybe going out very early or late is the answer.....

I used to ride motorbikes and commuted into London on a R6. But I found the best fun was had at 6am on weekends. I use my car the same way and treat myself alone to a drive early weekend mornings. It's the safest possible way weather permitting.

Trouble is with using your road car ( pride and joy ) on a track day is it puts a year or more wear n tear on the car. I've always had purpose built track cars and believe me shelling out for a 6 grand big brake kit on your nearly 2 ton road car means nothing when your hard on the brakes at 130+ coming into paddock hill bend compared to the fella who's behind you in a stripped out clio cup. The only difference at the end of the day is he'll be putting the clio on the trailer vertualy ready for the next track day and you'll be down the local dealers the next day ordering tyres brake pads etc. And that's if you've been lucky.

The above obviously depends on how you drive but if your not gonna drive as if you stole it you may as we'll save your money lol

VMax could be the answer but you'll hit the speed limit of 155MPH way too early. Get a remap and delimit it first if you haven't done so while at Eurocharged.

Now that would work ..... thanks, will keep a look out.

From previous experience, the next Vmax200, whilst not 100%, it is likely to be at the earliest, late March/early April, but the first one of the year is usually over subscribed, so getting onboard maybe troublesome, and as Alx advises, no point going to Vmax unless your delimited, real frustrating on the back straight for the car to stop at 155.
Whilst not posted up here as yet, there was a some dialogue with one of the forum guys and myself this week, regards trying to hijack a Goodwood track day again (March), as 15 of us did the year before last, (25 cars only), not overly sure I am up for it right at this time, so a little undecided myself, and not discussed it with anybody else at this point, but will post this up in the event section, should there be any further interest.

Last edited:
ricky s said:
From previous experience, the next Vmax200, whilst not 100%, it is likely to be at the earliest, late March/early April, but the first one of the year is usually over subscribed, so getting onboard maybe troublesome, and as Alx advises, no point going to Vmax unless your delimited, real frustrating on the back straight for the car to stop at 155. Whilst not posted up here as yet, there was a some dialogue with one of the forum guys and myself this week, regards trying to hijack a Goodwood track day again (March), as 15 of us did the year before last, (25 cars only), not overly sure I am up for it right at this time, so a little undecided myself, and not discussed it with anybody else at this point, but will post this up in the event section, should there be any further interest.

Ricky,

Your mail box is full. I would be up for a Goodwood day drop me a txt or PM in the new year if you want to try and drum up some enthusiasm.

Cheers

Justin

Ricky,

Your mail box is full. I would be up for a Goodwood day drop me a txt or PM in the new year if you want to try and drum up some enthusiasm.

Cheers

Justin

Justin, will txt you tomorrow, failing that, will call you on Monday, all the best mate.:thumb:

Ricky, tried to PM you a few times now over the last few weeks. Will send you a text tomorrow instead.

PS: I'm up for Goodwood too, whenever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom