a few issues bother me about my new w203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deian

Car
'01 W203 C200K Auto Estate
Hi all,

Just got hold of a w203 estate, it's nice, it has a few problems...
(non suspension ones, one being the rear wiper not working, it's just a broken pipe from the inside, will need renewing, blower not cold, will post in electrical section for that).

Rear suspension sounds "boxy" and feels bouncy, could the dampers be tired?

Front suspension hmmm, well, when I brake there is like a snatching followed by judder, I wondered if the discs were warped at first, they may be slightly, but the snatching seems more serious and annoying, any ideas?
I'm taking it to a garage for a physical inspection tomorrow to see what he says, so I'd like your opinions too see if they tally with the garage (knowing you won't see of feel it), is it a common problem? I've heard it could be the control arms? But lets face it, it could be any of the moving joints right? Feels near side.

Any ideas or experience would be great to help me make my choice.
Other than those problems it drives like new, all taught and sharp.

Thanks,
Deian

The front brakes sounds like the track control arm bushing is u/s.

U/s = unserviceable

but changeable I hope!

Throw on some replacement bushes for thrust arms and trailing arms and it will behave more predictably. Generally speaking, a good old fashioned refresh does wonders.

- rotors
- pads
- rubber bushes
- fresh oil. engine oil filter, engine air filter, cabin filter
- new steering fluid
- new coolant
- new power steering fluid
- front wheel bearings
- uneven tyres
- ball joints
- steering link

Usually the estate has a hydraulic levelling system in the rear. Maybe flush the fluid out (comes from steering).

If you shop around you will be surprised how affordable these are.

Last edited:
as a side note, could it NOT have the self levelling suspension? what option number was it?

Deian

If you need parts then look on either GSF, ECP or Car parts for less (latter two are the same company but often with different prices!)

If looking on ECP try putting MBCLUB30 or MBCLUB25 in the discount section on the website and you will often get a 30 or 25% discount as long as ECP are not having one of the regular sales promotions. This works for click and collect and home delivery.

ECP /CPFL sell Lemforder suspension parts and these are recognised as being of high quality.

thanks for the codes.
so how do I know if it has auto-levelling suspension at the back?
Also took the car to the garage and he will do the front brakes tomorrow, I'm curious to see if the snatching will disappear, he's a nice guy so he's seen that they're warped, doubt he's feel the snatching unless he drives it (which I doubt he did), but if my wife insists on this being done by him fair enough! I don't have time to mess about with the car at the moment, I'll have a whole summer to sort the car out alone while she's away! Yay.

Last edited:
bought the bilstein ones, that discount code came in handy! thanks, installation looks easy too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom