A forum for Mercedes enthusiasts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
I have been a member here for a long long time and have mostly enjoyed the experience. These days, however, much of the enthusiasm seems lacking. In the old days posts about a new mod fitted or the latest plan of action were met with encouragement and enthusiasm but these days no one seems much bothered. Why are we unenthusiastic about cars but happy to row all night about everything else? Comments welcome.

Modern cars are too complicated and all alike. The ability to mod them is vastly reduced.

As for the rows and bothers - sadly it's the t'internet.

R2D2, I agree with you. And I think it's because there are generally two types of forum members, both enthusiasts:

A) Bring the law into everything irrespective of subject eg whether speed, non-compliant mods such as number plates or concealing mods from manufacturer. This ends up in a discussion on unrelated matters.

B) Suggest posters check Google, main dealer or do a search of the forum because it's been discussed before. This is not helpful, does not allow for topics to be kept up-to-date and defeats the purpose of a forum. I like to think of a forum as asking a friend - I know the answer is out there but I want a quick answer from a mate.

The AMG modders are very supportive of each others mods and regularly exchange views and tips, with threads running for page after page.

+1 on AMG lot, I'm still looking, but I'm already full to the brim of whats what.. Glad I joined up ..

imho.
Too many members now want to talk about current affairs and political issues. They treat this forum as an extension of this general lives, not a car forum for short sharp informational and witty posts.

I know I'll get slated for this, but I'm not alone, it's what this and a number of similar ones recently, are about.

R2D2, I agree with you. And I think it's because there are generally two types of forum members, both enthusiasts:

A) Bring the law into everything irrespective of subject eg whether speed, non-compliant mods such as number plates or concealing mods from manufacturer. This ends up in a discussion on unrelated matters.

B) Suggest posters check Google, main dealer or do a search of the forum because it's been discussed before. This is not helpful, does not allow for topics to be kept up-to-date and defeats the purpose of a forum. I like to think of a forum as asking a friend - I know the answer is out there but I want a quick answer from a mate.

I agree. if someone posts about how their car performed against a porsche etc there are more posts about the legality of where/when/how fast etc. Too many threads go off topic. This is not just here, but in other forums too.

The worst one I think at the moment is HUKD. How people get away with personally slating people day in day out and not getting reprimanded for it is beyond me

I think it's just a bit of a perfect storm really.

Most 'new' Mercedes are now leased which generally means you can't modify the car and add to that, the popularity (and membership) of the forum has swelled to such an extent that it was always liable to lose some of that community feel.

I think the core of the forum is still strong, there's just more people to argue a point than in the past; when I've looked through old threads most of them barely stretch a couple of pages.

The AMG guys make me jealous with their seemingly endless modifications and enthusiasm. I would love to see their cars in action at Santa Pod or a track day.

Posters davidjpowell and SPX have it spot on; a combination of complicated vehicles and leased vehicles doesn't help.

In my case, a six year warranty and service plan pretty much rules out anything but basic cosmetic stuff and the like. Plus it's a van. Not much interest in vans generally.

And my complete lack of make specific technical knowledge doesn't help. So as a newbie and with no sarcasm intended at all, please accept my apologies for not being in the position to contribute in a better way.

I would love to learn more about the many models, their quirks etc because I am already looking forward to a second MB on the drive.

Well I like it here very much. If something does not appeal to me I don't read it.

Modding does not interest me in the least - if its too far away from stock as its not really insurance friendly.

Any post that generally goes on for more than two pages is not worth following really, for me.

I do love to read what other folks get up to with their motors and I dip in and out of the number plate "spotted" "First thing that comes to Mind" I also find pretty revealing about members.

Frankly I dont think there is a finer forum.

Hope this does not go o er two pages.!!

Too many members now want to talk about current affairs and political issues. They treat this forum as an extension of this general lives, not a car forum for short sharp informational and witty posts.

agree 100%

It's worth coming here to enjoy Ringway's caption competition entries :D.

They treat this forum as an extension of this general lives, not a car forum for short sharp informational and witty posts.

agree 100%

How do you remedy this though?

The only way I can see to scale back the 'social' side of the forum would be to temper the Off-Topic forum, but then would that affect the popularity of the forum as a whole?

Its the only forum I belong to and have enjoyed spending time on here since joining (my wife is not always so happy about the amount of time I spend on here). My car is only a year old, still under warranty and on PCP so I'm wary about modding it but still like seeing what is possible.
My only issue comes from the "snipey, are you really that thick, don't ask stupid questions" replies that are seemingly more common now than when I joined 18 months ago

i have been a member here for a long long time and have mostly enjoyed the experience. These days, however, much of the enthusiasm seems lacking. In the old days posts about a new mod fitted or the latest plan of action were met with encouragement and enthusiasm but these days no one seems much bothered. Why are we unenthusiastic about cars but happy to row all night about everything else? Comments welcome.

tl;dr

:D

How do you remedy this though?

The only way I can see to scale back the 'social' side of the forum would be to temper the Off-Topic forum, but then would that affect the popularity of the forum as a whole?

Since all that is doing is causing arguments and boringly long threads, would that be an issue?

Since all that is doing is causing arguments and boringly long threads, would that be an issue?

I honestly don't know, I try and enjoy every aspect of the forum and sometimes chastise myself when I get dragged into arguments in Off-Topic.

Having said that, I've been just as guilty in the past of being a bit too political for a motoring forum.

Given that the forum is well signposted as 'Off-Topic' it's pretty easy to ignore. As it seems to make your blood bubble so much DM, I don't quite understand why you spend the time that you do in there, especially when your only contribution is to tell everyone else what a carp thread it is.

I only read threads that interest me and as a result precious little on here gets me bent out of shape and in seven or eight years on here can count on the fingers of one hand when I've actually felt I've needed to make a negative, contrary or argumentative post.

You can add this one to that list... perhaps I've moved on to the next hand now :)

It's a forum guys.

We will have lovers & haters & the new generation of male PMT!

Perhaps one day we will have them all sync together - so it won't be that bad just once a month :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom