a Knock and a Wander - suggestions!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anduhowman

Car
landrover
Hi all,

My new (to me) CLK 320 Sport seems to have a knock from the front end and gets a little wandering at higher speeds. At lower speeds it seems quiet and stable.

Its has some very large 19 inch wheels on which came on her - whilst I want to get rid of them and get some standard ones - I also want to work out if the wheels are to blame or something else.

I am going to get the alignment checked later today but is there anything else that's fairly common that could cause this? Steering damper maybe? I would have thought a bush would have knocked at lower speed as well?

Any and all ideas for checking things out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

All the things you have suggested are a possibility as are worn balljoints, which is where I'd be looking first.

Strangely...I would be checking the rear suspension too, especially the sub frame mounts.

Thanks for the replies - I will have a look under the back end of the car and get the ball joints checked.

The tracking at the front was quite out and also it appears the front right tyre was a directional that was also ruined on the inside edge. The other tyres were all not directional and had plenty of tread. So lets see if a new tyre and alignment helps!

I also had a look at the ARB bushes and they seem warn - around some bumpy roads I realised I could here knocking so will add those to the list.

That was terrible, worn not warn and hear not here!!

Post up your results, please.

A worn out inner tyre edge is reckoned to be bottom ball joint as most likely cause.

Post up your results, please.

A worn out inner tyre edge is reckoned to be bottom ball joint as most likely cause.

Well since posting I have done about 350 miles and had a chance for a little poke about. The knocking is ARBs so that's simple enough. The issues with the wandering seem to have basically gone since getting the front alignment done and putting a tyre that as best as possible matches the others.

Still a mild feeling of the steering not being 'tight' enough but my girlfriend had a go and said I was moaning! Will keep an eye on that and probably change the steering damper since its cheap and easy to do.

I haven't had a chance to check the ball joint yet but wil get it in the garage week after this and ask them to check and change if required. I would say I am getting there so thanks for the advice so far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom