A light hearted post for the older members amongst us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
Ok for those who can remember the days when you buy 3 gallons of petrol for £1 (that being the green folding paper note).

Whilst chatting with a friend the other evening the subject of old car related advertising came up, so who can recall the following ?

(1) What did we put in the tank & what hung from the fuel caps of our cars ? :dk:

(2) Who knows the missing words to this tv advert.

The ???? sign means happy motoring, the ???? sign means happy motoring, call at the ???? sign:D.

(3) What fuel company gave away little yellow & white men on keyrings /

(4) Who knows the missing words to this tv advert. :doh:

Keep going well, keep going ?????, keeping well with ?????, ?????, ?????.

(5) An easy one now What car was advertised as 'The car you always promised yourself' :bannana:
(6) A little harder now :dk:

What car manufacturer stated 'Nothing on earth comes close' ?

Come on guys respond & show your age :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
(1) Did we put a tiger in our tank and hang a tigers tail?

(2) Don't know
(3) Shell?

(4) Shell?

(5) Ford Capri
(6) Rings a bell but cannot remember at the moment.

Russ

This is going to show my age for sure.

1 A tiger
2 Esso
3 Esso I think?
4 Shell
5 I forget.
6 Forgotten again.

Tiger, and tiger's tail (Esso advert)
Esso
Shell
Shell
Can't remember the last 2.

Ok guys the hour is up.

Woody got all of the answers correct but being picky forgot to say that it was a tigers tail that hung from the fuel cap, Only Chris & rf065 mentioned that one.

Thanks for your replies, just a laugh for an hour

Old? OLD? Get some in, lad; I can remember when you got FOUR gallons for a quid...

First started driving in 1959 at the age of 16! Yes I know I was too young to have a licence and insurance but that 's how it was in those days in Peckham.

Petrol if I remember was about 4 shillings a gallon and a pound filled up an empty tank !

There were three grades of petrol and of course, I went for the cheapest.

I used to be able to buy VIP petrol at 3 shillings and ninepence a gallon. It even made your cigarette lighter knock!

I can remember buying 2 stroke petrol for my Lambretta in 1966 for 3shillings & 6pence a gallon. Those were the days!:thumb:

Old? OLD? Get some in, lad; I can remember when you got FOUR gallons for a quid...

I also remember this and used to put it into my triumph herald

it was about 35 pence a litre in 71 72 and I used to get quadruple green shields stamps on topping up my hillman minx

Smurfs were National garages.
Probably owned by BP

it was about 35 pence a litre in 71 72 and I used to get quadruple green shields stamps on topping up my hillman minx

I doubt that...35p per litre would have been £1.57 per gallon...it was 75p a gallon in 1977 when I got my first car.

No No No it was 3/6 a gallon in 1971, your getting your imperial and metric sizes mixed up you ...... old fool. ( must be same as me )

No No No it was 3/6 a gallon in 1971, your getting your imperial and metric sizes mixed up you ...... old fool. ( must be same as me )

And for the kids out there 3/6 old money equates to 17 1/2 p per gallon

No you are wrong, most definitely.
We went metric in 1971 and fuel was 35 new pence a gallon previosuly 7 shillings.
I remember atwork because as a building professional we had some older contracts in feet and inches and the new jobs were in metres and millimetres.
In our site canteenthe price of a cup of tea rose from 3 old pence to 1 new pence. A little saving.

^^ that's right.
I remember petrol being 6/8d a gallon ( three for a pound) in 1970.
Must have been then cos I started riding in 1970 and we went metric in Feb 1971
Iirc of course!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom