A little advice please E class 210 & 211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Car
Currently looking
Afternoon all

Im looking for a replacement for my current 9-5 Aero and looking at the W210 or W211 in estate form. Now I only do around 6 or 7,000mls per year so naturally I am looking at petrols but they are so thin on the ground compared to diesels I wondered if I could consider one but my low annual miles concern me as to how it might effect reliability.I guess this is a thinly disguised petrol or diesel post so apologies for that.Interested in thought & comments.

Afternoon all

Im looking for a replacement for my current 9-5 Aero and looking at the W210 or W211 in estate form. Now I only do around 6 or 7,000mls per year so naturally I am looking at petrols but they are so thin on the ground compared to diesels I wondered if I could consider one but my low annual miles concern me as to how it might effect reliability.I guess this is a thinly disguised petrol or diesel post so apologies for that.Interested in thought & comments.

Got a w211 sport 320CDI and only do 3000miles a year if she's lucky and no problems what so ever! Never use it for 5 min journeys but 20mins plus and always make sure she upto temp before I give it the beans. No dpf either so all good.

Usual cliches apply

I'm the happy owner of an S211 E500 estate and an SL500, as well as being the ex-owner of petrol Saabs in the form of a 9-3 convertible, 900 convertible, 9-5 Aero, 900 Aero, and an '81 900 Turbo. (And on the subject of diesel versus petrol a string of 330i, 530i and 335i's as well as 330d and 530d)

It's the usual pros and cons. People think diesel is cheaper to run, but Diesels cost more to buy, and have some serious engine issues. (As you can tell, I'm unconvinced). Just do the sums to see if that x% "better" fuel consumption actually adds up when you do the three year cost of motoring calculation.

Its a personal taste thing - petrol heads prefer the quiet clatter-free whir of a petrol, and the Diesel boys will purr about the mid-range oomph of diesel.

Best advice, in the end, is that buying a used car is always about the condition and history. There's light and day between a genuine mileage, loved garaged car, and a "lightly clocked," kept on the street, "show it a mechanic when its broken" motor.

Last edited:
How much performance can you live with/without? Do you want more? I had a 9000 Aero, then a 9-5 Aero estate, and replaced that with a W210 E55 estate. The performance difference was night and day.

I replaced that with a W211 E55K estate (and I'm on my second of those - nothing wrong with the first, but I wanted one in Tanzanite Blue). The performance difference between that and the Saab was night and surface of the sun...

Mid-range oomph? Anything with a 55K engine has sledgehammer torque pretty much from idle. Whatever you do, unless you're prepared to buy one don't test-drive an E55K. You WILL want one if you do...

An E500 might be a good compromise if you can find one, but the estates are pretty rare.

There's a lot more to go wrong on a W211 than a W210, and it does from time to time. On the other hand, finding a non-rusty W210 is becoming increasingly difficult.

It's short runs that kill diesel DPFs, not low mileage. Most private buyers buy diesels for economy, but your mileage is perfectly reasonable, and possibly economy will be less of a factor. I've never owned one, but from reading this forum I judge that some of the diesels are reasonably rapid as well as frugal.

Give us an idea of how much you are prepared to spend; that might help what advice to give you.

Got a w211 sport 320CDI and only do 3000miles a year if she's lucky and no problems what so ever! Never use it for 5 min journeys but 20mins plus and always make sure she upto temp before I give it the beans. No dpf either so all good.

Thanks for the reply so I guess yours is a pre 2006 ?

I also hear the I6 has the non GM gearbox which is more reliable ?

I'm the happy owner of an S211 E500 estate and an SL500, as well as being the ex-owner of petrol Saabs in the form of a 9-3 convertible, 900 convertible, 9-5 Aero, 900 Aero, and an '81 900 Turbo. (And on the subject of diesel versus petrol a string of 330i, 530i and 335i's as well as 330d and 530d)

It's the usual pros and cons. People think diesel is cheaper to run, but Diesels cost more to buy, and have some serious engine issues. (As you can tell, I'm unconvinced). Just do the sums to see if that x% "better" fuel consumption actually adds up when you do the three year cost of motoring calculation.

Its a personal taste thing - petrol heads prefer the quiet clatter-free whir of a petrol, and the Diesel boys will purr about the mid-range oomph of diesel.

Best advice, in the end, is that buying a used car is always about the condition and history. There's light and day between a genuine mileage, loved garaged car, and a "lightly clocked," kept on the street, "show it a mechanic when its broken" motor.

Thanks my maths equal petrol but there are so few that I am wondering if I should go diesel. Having said this I dont like the idea of the potential bigger repair bills with derv.

How much performance can you live with/without? Do you want more? I had a 9000 Aero, then a 9-5 Aero estate, and replaced that with a W210 E55 estate. The performance difference was night and day.

I replaced that with a W211 E55K estate (and I'm on my second of those - nothing wrong with the first, but I wanted one in Tanzanite Blue). The performance difference between that and the Saab was night and surface of the sun...

Mid-range oomph? Anything with a 55K engine has sledgehammer torque pretty much from idle. Whatever you do, unless you're prepared to buy one don't test-drive an E55K. You WILL want one if you do...

An E500 might be a good compromise if you can find one, but the estates are pretty rare.

There's a lot more to go wrong on a W211 than a W210, and it does from time to time. On the other hand, finding a non-rusty W210 is becoming increasingly difficult.

It's short runs that kill diesel DPFs, not low mileage. Most private buyers buy diesels for economy, but your mileage is perfectly reasonable, and possibly economy will be less of a factor. I've never owned one, but from reading this forum I judge that some of the diesels are reasonably rapid as well as frugal.

Give us an idea of how much you are prepared to spend; that might help what advice to give you.

Thanks for the reply yes the Saab is a beast in fact this much performance is a waste especially as mine is ahem slightly tuned. Im more after luxury with a modicum of performance and Im thinking an E class would probably do that. I do want to avoid the GM autoboxes from what Im told but not sure which models these are found in.

Now to budget which im a little embarrassed or sad to say is only about 2.5k so will get me an ok 210 or a very high mileage 211.

I think one of the main issues with the W210 is rust, otherwise a solid model.

My father's W210 still working fine, owned from new, shame about the rust.

Thanks for the reply yes the Saab is a beast in fact this much performance is a waste especially as mine is ahem slightly tuned. Im more after luxury with a modicum of performance and Im thinking an E class would probably do that. I do want to avoid the GM autoboxes from what Im told but not sure which models these are found in.

Now to budget which im a little embarrassed or sad to say is only about 2.5k so will get me an ok 210 or a very high mileage 211.
Please don't be embarrassed about your budget. Nothing wrong with what Merc you have 210 or a 211.
Just remember the whole world aspires to having a Mercedes

Thanks for the reply so I guess yours is a pre 2006 ?

I also hear the I6 has the non GM gearbox which is more reliable ?

The gearboxes are Mercedes designed and built. All that you are looking at should have the 722.6 5 speed noted for it's reliability.

No late 2006 v6. No sbc problems ☺

Just googled sbc and got "break failure" which doesnt sound good. Does this affect all pre 2006 cars ?

Sounds like I need to find a good mostly rust free 210 unless most 211`s have undergone repairs by now.

Last edited:
I would assume that most 211 at £2.5k would be higher mileage examples and therefore would have had their SBC pumps replaced by now.

Rust free 210 are impossible to find unless a Japanese import which are normally only E55. All the 210's I've had over the years have been mechanically reliable, petrol & diesel. I'd say go for the best 210 at your budget or make sure any 211 has documentation to support the replacement pump.

I would assume that most 211 at £2.5k would be higher mileage examples and therefore would have had their SBC pumps replaced by now.

Rust free 210 are impossible to find unless a Japanese import which are normally only E55. All the 210's I've had over the years have been mechanically reliable, petrol & diesel. I'd say go for the best 210 at your budget or make sure any 211 has documentation to support the replacement pump.

Thanks yes except for one petrol 211 which was just under 100k all others have at least 160k which doesnt scare me if serviced properly. But as you say im also thinking to go for the best 210 I can find but is it me or are the 210 estates a lot longer than the 211 ?

Have a look at this on eBay, looks like a very good buy and possibly ticks all your boxes DEPENDENT on what the issue is with the gear change mentioned.

eBay Item number: 152017001445

Last edited:
Have a look at this on eBay, looks like a very good buy and possibly ticks all your boxes DEPENDENT on what the issue is with the gear change mentioned.

eBay Item number: 152017001445

Thanks yes now I saw this car on ebay and AT and I could swear it was up for 2k but I didnt notice the gearbox issue mentioned in the ad. I think I will give it a miss for now.

Its a C class but looks pretty decent. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172151799447?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited:
Difference in Length: S210 and S211: about an inch.

Thanks yes except for one petrol 211 which was just under 100k all others have at least 160k which doesnt scare me if serviced properly. But as you say im also thinking to go for the best 210 I can find but is it me or are the 210 estates a lot longer than the 211 ?

Understandable confusion, but the difference is a generous inch.

The S210 is 4818mm, and the S211 is 4850mm - so that's 32mm difference

Maybe hunt for an old E430 ?

Given your budget, it might be worth hunting for an E430 estate

Another car which I had in my past was the E55 saloon, which I found troublesome because of the hard suspension settings. I was sorely tempted to switch to a friend's E430 "familienwagen" which he was selling cheaply because people either didn't want to larger engine or, if they did, preferred the rorty E55 to the quiet sophistication of the E430.

The 203 C class estates are much more compact to drive and on the inside than E's, especially the 210 which are cavernous and many come with the benefit of 7 seats. It all depends what you need them for.

I use the 210 E55 estate as our family car in the summer & it has been great needing only maintenance jobs & bodywork to keep it up to scratch.

Takes long jaunts & continental holidays in its stride. Comfortable seats & ride after I reinstated the stock setup and no overly complicated electronics, brakes or trick suspension to let it down.

The looks are an acquired taste though.

The 203 C class estates are much more compact to drive and on the inside than E's, especially the 210 which are cavernous and many come with the benefit of 7 seats. It all depends what you need them for.

I use the 210 E55 estate as our family car in the summer & it has been great needing only maintenance jobs & bodywork to keep it up to scratch.

Takes long jaunts & continental holidays in its stride. Comfortable seats & ride after I reinstated the stock setup and no overly complicated electronics, brakes or trick suspension to let it down.

The looks are an acquired taste though.

Im guessing E class are better built though.We have two small dogs but only three of us plus the dogs.No lack of space in the 9-5 which we liked but I find I prefer auto in the 9-5 but fancy something else having had three of them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom