A very tight junction and too much speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be practical, in conditions of adverse visibility this junction would be difficult to see in advance. I'm surprised that the Highways Agency chose to discontinue the speed restriction, whatever it is, in advance of the junction and not beyond it.

Being devil's advocate, my only criticism would be regarding making a judgement on the basis of satnav mapping layout.

It wasnt sat-nav error it was driver error.

Driving too fast for the conditions same as if it was foggy. :D

Yep, driver error unless SatNav's are actually responsible for the driving. :D

There was a sign when Google were down that way, albeit a little misleading. (No rain or fog though) :eek:

Last edited:
Surely, sat nav is to tell you which turn to take - not how to take it...:dk:

You were obviously driving too fast for the conditions and were driving faster than you could see.

An elementary mistake :D

Ho, bl00dy, Ho…

In't having a laugh at other peoples misfortunes great...

I'm just enjoying a little Schadenfreude myself…….. :thumb:

Last edited:
An experienced driver would have observed that from the Wilton Roundabout and through Pencraig he passed any number of similarly styled signs warning of similar 90 degree exits with very short run-offs. He would have also noted various right turns across the central resevation and sundry other exits into fields and farmyards.

That stretch of road has clearly not been engineered as a dual carriageway - merely an existing A-road to which an additional carriageway has been tacked on. There could be no expectation, therefore, that the offending exit would be any different to the previous half dozen.

Being about 100 yards beyond the derestriction signs (from 50 mph) an attentive driver would, of course, be easing off in anticipation of the exit rather than gunning away from Pencraig.

On an unfamiliar road in adverse weather conditions, an experienced motorist would always proceed with caution.

...only IMO...

:)

On a positive note Dieselman survived unscathed apart from his under crackers. Its just a shame that his French excuse for a motor vehicle did too. Dangerous boat like things they are, had he been driving Stuttgarts finest this whole thing would be a non event. :)

Last edited:
On a positive note Dieselman survived unscathed apart from his under crackers. Its just a shame that his French excuse for a motor vehicle did too. Dangerous boat like things they are, had he been driving Stuttgarts finest this whole thing would be a non event. :)

Probably the other way round. The Citroen outbrakes the Merc by some margin.

The only area the Merc handles better is in a long sweeping bend off a motorway, such as the one linking the M69 to the M6.

Down undulating B, or unclassified roads, nothing can keep up.

Surely, sat nav is to tell you which turn to take - not how to take it...:dk:
The road markings indicate a gradual feed off. Only when close to the junction can you see it is a right angle turn,. but I'm guessing you haven't actually looked at the Streetview image.

Last edited:
An experienced driver would have observed that from the Wilton Roundabout and through Pencraig he passed any number of similarly styled signs warning of similar 90 degree exits with very short run-offs.

There were no junctions as acute as this one in the 70 mph limit.

As you say, an experienced driver...I've only got 1 Million+ miles under my belt...

How many have you got?

What I find amusing in this thread is that I did see the junction in time and was able to react to the changed situation IN TIME. ;)

Driving's a learning experience, and even high mileage drivers can be surprised. Keeps life interesting if nothing else.

Karma...aaaaaahhhhhhhh

Not really, Sh!t stirrer.

The difference was I reacted IN TIME and was able to take the junction safely. I didn't overshoot, I didn't nearly crash, just had to brake rather sharply as a result of the indications, including road markings, not giving a clear picture of the severity of the junction.

A somewhat different scenario to someone nearly driving up a roundabout because they were going too fast in fog.

He would be going far slower in a lorry.

That's right.

I've taken it out for another mullering tonight down some twisty B roads. It's definitely quicker than the Hun-mobile.

Some one in a Volvo S40 driving like Miss Daisy was in the back was dispatched quickly, only to then speed up and attempt to cling onto my tail lights.

Not for long...:devil:

Last edited:
All in the most total comfort too.

This one's ride is getting better all the time. The brakes were binding slightly due to lack of pushrod free play. Now that's sorted it really glides on undulations.

How long will it take before you admit to driving too fast for the conditions?
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom