A very tight junction and too much speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would if I was. The speed was appropriate as I was able to react BEFORE the situation, not after it.

Newsflash - Dieselman is Mystic Meg!

I can see the future - it involves Derek Acorah catching the bus…….

The best of intentions subverted; not seen that before on here. Who would have thought such a thing could happen?

Live by the sword………

Reap what you sow……..

People in glass houses……

Pot calling the kettle………..

The tables are turned………..ad infinitum.

The best of intentions subverted; not seen that before on here. Who would have thought such a thing could happen?

Live by the sword………

Reap what you sow……..

People in glass houses……

Pot calling the kettle………..

The tables are turned………..ad infinitum.

But they aren't as I saw the impending problem before it was one and reacted accordingly.
The local council are obviously aware of the issue as they have put white hatching down on the dual carriageway to protect cars in the side road.
The issue is because the tail off line is gently sloped as if leading into a slip road.
It would be better if it was ended sharply as that would give and indication of the severity of the bend.

I'm going to move on from this thread, it was meant to be a 1 to 2 pager about a surprise junction, but due to the average age on here now being 102 years old and all wearing Halo's, it will run for at least 200 boring posts.

I've noticed the Scotch contingent seem to be vocal on this kind of issue. The only reason they never have any surprises is that they drive so slowly, due to needing to save money on fuel...

Over to you... :)

Last edited:
Forum 1 : Dieselman 0

What a surprise result!

Forum 1 : Dieselman 0

What a surprise result!

How many of the forum bullies did it take to get to that result? ;)

Your PM boxes are probably all overheating with bitching. Cest la-vie...

So is the moral of this thread;

Don't believe everything you see on your sat nav

or

Don't report any strange driving experiences or you'll be hung, drawn and quartered

I've noticed the Scotch contingent seem to be vocal on this kind of issue. The only reason they never have any surprises is that they drive so slowly, due to needing to save money on fuel...

Over to you... :)

I'll have a touch of water with mine please. Got that one wrong you Englichman you :doh:.

Further to my two previous Google Maps images, (page 2) here is a Google Earth image of the nasty junction. Damn lucky that there was nothing approaching the A40 from the opposite direction, or there could have been a nasty accident me thinks.
End of the 50 mph restriction visible in bottom right hand corner.

Last edited:
…….Don't report any strange driving experiences or you'll be hung, drawn and quartered

I just thought it was an opportunity to pull DM's leg a bit.

Maybe the moral is "Don't take anything Meldrew2 says too seriously" :dk:

Further to my two previous Google Maps images, here is a Google Earth image of the nasty junction. Damn lucky that there was nothing approaching the A40 from the opposite direction, or there could have been a nasty accident me thinks.

At last an image of the sloping lead off markings, Thank You. From the ground they look even more like a slip road.

How would there have been a collision, I braked in time for the junction and didn't cross any white lines...or do you mean being Gloucestershire, they would probably be on the wrong side of the road.

…...Damn lucky that there was nothing approaching the A40 from the opposite direction, or there could have been a nasty accident me thinks…...

And what looks like some pretty solid trees that could also be a factor in a potential fatality.

Just imagine - excessive speed, a driver without quick reactions, under inflated tyre, no ABS, car (or motorcycle) hits tree at speed. Nasty.

Last edited:
Presumedly the lines are there to prevent people using it as a slip road thus making the turn even more acute, if course hindsight is a wonderful thing

Presumedly the lines are there to prevent people using it as a slip road thus making the turn even more acute, if course hindsight is a wonderful thing

Strange as it seems there is a requirement for the lines to be removed and used as a slip road :doh:
Although, driving out of the Pencraig 50mph zone you should have still been driving at 50mph or less knowing the junction was only 150m further on which your Sat Nav would have told you :dk:

Exactly. :)

If you look at the kerb you can see the old road line, which used to follow the fence as it bends off to the left.

I would have thought it was safer to not have the hatchings, but continue the dotted line further and put a painted left corner arrow on the road in the newly created "slip" area.

No doubt the forum "Angels" would debate the arrow was going too fast. :rolleyes:

Strange as it seems there is a requirement for the lines to be removed and used as a slip road :doh:
Although, driving out of the Pencraig 50mph zone you should have still been driving at 50mph or less knowing the junction was only 150m further on which your Sat Nav would have told you :dk:

I was driving at 50mph. Who said I wasn't? :dk:

I was also aware of the junction and thought slowing gradually was OK...until I saw it wasn't as indicated by the road markings.
By this time, one is pretty close to the turn off.

Do you mean the hatching shouldn't be there? IMO, that would be safer.

Last edited:
At last an image of the sloping lead off markings, Thank You. From the ground they look even more like a slip road.

How would there have been a collision, I braked in time for the junction and didn't cross any white lines...or do you mean being Gloucestershire, they would probably be on the wrong side of the road.

I think if it had been me in that situation then my instinct would have been to make use of the other side of the road, crossed the white line, as it was clear of traffic or other obstacles, to lessen any harsh or sudden braking or steering angles. :dk:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom