A160 boot not locking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RB1991

Car
A160
No idea whats happened, but boot won't lock when using central locking or the key. Any ideas? Its a 1999 A160.

When it opens the alarm does sound, if that helps

Thanks

Will the key blade fully enter the lock and turn in the key hole to the left or to the right?

Some useful info here… Bert Rowe's-Mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. 5th Door (Boot Lid Locked, Jammed Closed)

Dec

attachment.php

It turns left and right?
The important thing to do now is to remove the tailgate trim liner so as to gain access to the lock mechanism. You should also put the rear seats back to clear the way to get at the lock from the inside in case you succeed in locking but not being able to unlock.

With the tailgate trim off, you should be able to get an idea of how the lock mechanism operates with the key blade.

What kind of remote fob do you have and how many buttons does it have.
Locking the car with the remote lock button will arm the alarm so unlock with the remote so as to avoid the alarm going off.

Dec

Last edited:
I have just finished rebuilding the boot lock on my 2000 A160. The key barrel was seized and the spring loaded part that returns the key to the vertical position was partially seized.

I also replaced the vacuum diaphragm while I was there, WIS says this is not possible and to buy a new lock at £130..

My guess is that your lock may have similar problems. The lock is very easy to remove from the car, I could rebuild your lock if you wish.

Last edited:
I can absolutely confirm it is very easy to replace the whole lock, no need to remove lining for that - I did that myself (and I'm pretty useless with mechanical stuff) on my old 2001 W168, almost right after I bought it, as the old lock would only engage one out of ten attempts.

I believe the new lock cost me about £65 from MB Northampton, but that was nearly five years ago ...

As above - check the vacuum pipe / diaphragm first, it might be just that.

I can absolutely confirm it is very easy to replace the whole lock, no need to remove lining for that - I did that myself (and I'm pretty useless with mechanical stuff) on my old 2001 W168, almost right after I bought it, as the old lock would only engage one out of ten attempts.

I believe the new lock cost me about £65 from MB Northampton, but that was nearly five years ago ...

As above - check the vacuum pipe / diaphragm first, it might be just that.

I may be wrong but I think that what you replaced was the latch mechanism, the OP is referring to the key lock.

I fitted a new latch to mine when I rebuilt the lock. Paranoid about the boot being jammed shut as mentioned by Lofty. The latch is less than £20.

I may be wrong but I think that what you replaced was the latch mechanism, the OP is referring to the key lock.

I fitted a new latch to mine when I rebuilt the lock. Paranoid about the boot being jammed shut as mentioned by Lofty. The latch is less than £20.

D'oh! Of course! :doh: You're absolutely right.
Sorry about the confusion - I did say I'm rubbish at mechanical stuff ...
In my defence - the bit I replaced is in the tailgate too LOL

No idea whats happened, but boot won't lock when using central locking or the key. Any ideas? Its a 1999 A160.

When it opens the alarm does sound, if that helps

Thanks

Any luck fixing the boot lock yet? :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom