A170cdi (previous shape) Any Owners / recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

My Brothers wife is expecting and their Golf a 3 door will soon be going. They have narrowed their choice to a few cars and one is the A170Cdi, ideally a manual LWB model.

They like my wifes car and I have to say its been great in the 2 years we have had it, ours is a A210 LWB and its huge inside, More leg room than my ML and dad E class estate. She also gets over 40mpg so god know what a diesal will do?

Are there any owners or past owners what we should look for? I know when I looked for ours it was don't by an automatic (which is rare for a merc purchase), Don't go for the slatted sunroof they squeak and rattle (and break).

I also know about the elk test...but so far I've not managed to tip ours up...

Thanks in advance.

My 2p worth, is for them to also road test the Audi A2 diesel, as it's a very capable competitor.

For the A-class, EasyCar do/used to have them as hire cars, so I definitely try to avoid one of those examples.

Hello

She has drove a 1.4tdi and 1.6 FSI A2 as they were on the list but she didn't like it and the boot is smaller?

Also off the list was the VW touran? as apparently there is a large plastic bit that gets in the way when getting in and out all the time.

They do like the Honda CRV 2.2 but this is more than they want to pay.

Agree the A2 on paper is great £35 yr tax and 60mpg etc...

An A170 will easily achieve 50mpg, but they are noisy .

I had an A170cdi avantgarde manual from new. The only problem I can recall was water penetration into rear suspension bushes. These were changed under warranty.
Generally a hard ride due to the stiffening up of the suspension following the elk test.
The big sun roof was great - nearly like a convertible on the swb model.
Ours was a non-metalic black & the paint seemed soft & scratched easily.
An earlier thread on here talked of high costs of things like clutch replacement as the engine had to be removed.
Motoring press talked of low quality interior fittings, but coming from other makes of cars I thought the quality was ok.

Generally a hard ride due to the stiffening up of the suspension following the elk test.

I could never work that one out, why bother..I mean how many people are going to carry an Elk in their car...

I could never work that one out, why bother..I mean how many people are going to carry an Elk in their car...

But when you do carry an elk, it's surprising how stiff suspension helps!:)

They are pretty ok in manual form...

when it comes to repairs, any engine related stuff usually means a days labour as the engine has to be dropped out..
Hopefully you wwont need to though...

Fully manual diesels are probably the best of W168's.

Jay,

Does that also include the more likely things to go? water pump, alternator etc?

Is there any big service on these? do they have cam belts?

I know people don't tend to like the older A class, have to say ours (touch wood) has been a great little car and as a Mummy wagon quite different. Over two years we have had two services, 2 front tyres and front brakes and discs.

Bought on 19K miles and currently just over 40K

A210Side.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom