A209 2008 CLK Roof Issue Tonneau cover not closing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardgr88

Car
Mercedes CLK 280 Sport Cabrio
Hi All,

With the weather getting better I'm keen to be taking the roof down more often. On the whole the roof has been working really well both going up and down.

Recently though at the final stage of putting the roof down the tonneau cover struggles to close more often than not, from time to time it will close ok. When it does close ok it seems to go with a bit of a clunk. The tonneau has no issue slotting back in when putting the roof back up and the roof locks in place ok above the windscreen.

I have checked and I can't see any obvious hydraulic fluid leaks but have noticed the fluid is a mm or 2 below the minimum line on the fluid reservoir.

Do you think it could be the fluid being low causing this problem?

Also because it is just below the minimum mark is there a high possibility of a small/slow leak being present somewhere?

I am struggling to find MB 343.0 spec fluid which I believe it requires. I've found the below Ravenol product on Amazon. Would this be the correct fluid, it says it meets MB 343.0

I'm guessing it's a case of undoing the brass looking nut and filling up with a syringe or pipette to the maximum.

yfEkILj.jpg

pNGftS9.jpg

jCTIWji.jpg

Sorry, I can't help but hopefully you will get an answer shortly, as I have a similar issue.

Sorry to hear you've got issues with yours too. It's a real odd one, fingers crossed someone who has some insight will be along soon.

Just had a look at the fluid again and taken a photo while I was cleaning bird droppings off the roof. Turns out the fluid is just above min.

How's your fluid scgfull?

ENPRxJg.jpg

First of all clean all of the moving parts of old grease and then relubricate with lithium grease. That should cure it.
Then check the two spring loaded 'tongues' on the rear edge of the deck an ensure that they are locating correctly - they can be adjusted with grub screws.
It's around four years since mine was doing exactly the same - that 'clunk' as the deck located, and since a clean and lube, I've has no further problems.

Thanks Ted, sounds like you're familiar with the clunk! I'll definitely give that a try, I've seen the locating tongues but was unsure what to do with them. Not really sure what they do.

Will let you know how I get on! tempted to find the torch and give it a go now if it's not raining.

I have not yet checked my fluid - I have too much on at the moment to check but will do so in the next few weeks - meanwhile, I shall keep an eye on this thread for more info.

Steve

Looks like the weather has said no to me going out and taking a look.

I hope to have a look tomorrow and get myself some white lithium grease. Will try and get some photos too for reference. While I'm at it I may use some silicone on the seals.

Will keep you posted.

All hinges/joints have been greased this morning with White Lithium grease, roof has been opened and closed a few times to spread the grease. We're back in business!! No clunks of any sort going up or down! A totally smooth and quiet operation :-D

See photos of where I applied the grease below and also a video I've posted on Youtube of the roof going up and down (apologies for the poor angle, I couldn't find my tripod).

Also couldn't resist filming a cheeky bit of 3 litre V6 startup. Would love a V8 in my life but that's for another time.

Thanks all for your help. Hopefully this thread will help others :-D

https://youtu.be/BwOUHtHRcRo

9FdDeLc.jpg

JQ1n5f5.jpg

CD8FPYw.jpg

tmrAs0j.jpg

UUlJSuK.jpg

JfECWTt.jpg

4ESwHWy.jpg

0gbx5gF.jpg

UjQFbSn.jpg

JZ6arGK.jpg

Good job! That looks to be working nice and smoothly :)

I had exactly the same thing when I got the car over a year ago.
I fixed it really simply with a can of WD40.

this worked a treat for me. Thank You

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom