A220 CDI Mystery Power Loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DBU

Car
A220 CDI AMG Sport
Hi,

I have a very strange issue with my 2013 A220 CDI AMG Sport with dual clutch auto transmission that my local MB dealership is having trouble diagnosing. Has anyone here resolved or had the same issue?

Symptoms:

At a completely random point during a journey, the drive mode is forced into standard drive ("E" on the computer display) even if i was driving in Sport or Semi-Auto. Once this happens i cannot switch to a different drive mode and i have a significant loss of power.

When the issue happens, even when driving with my foot flat to the floor, the car slowly accelerates up to about 3,000 revs, the revs are held there for about 5-10 seconds and then shifts up. There is virtually zero power when this happens and accelerating up to 60 mph can take up to a minute.

There is no warning when this happens and the only time I notice this is happening is when i try to accelerate to cross a junction or overtake. I have nearly had multiple accidents because the car has zero power without warning.

The onboard computer shows no warning lights on the dash at all.

I have found the only way to reset this issue is to park up, take the key out of the ignition, get out of the car and lock it. When i then get back into the car everything is fine again.

This issue normally only happens after 1+ hours of driving and is completely random when it happens. As far as i can tell there is nothing i am doing that triggers this in a deterministic way.

The car has always had this issue and i have owned the car from new, which was nearly 3 years ago. I have taken the car into at least two MB franchises and every time i get told the same thing: the onboard computer has not registered a fault so they update the software each time, take the car for a 5 minute drive and send me away telling me everything is fine. The last time i had the car looked at, MB advised me to record a video of the fault happening so they could diagnose this better but having now taken the car in for investigation for a 5th time, they don't seem much interested in anything as the re is no fault code.

This issue is driving me insane and i'm running out of options other than pulling over on motorways all the time to reset something in the car. Has anyone ever experienced this issue before? If you did, what did you do to fix it?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

If you have complained when the car was in warranty then they have to fix it. Don't be fobbed off.

I'm no expert on the C220 modules but this sounds to me like a software problem if a reasonable assumption is the hardware is ok. Ultimately though, don't be fobbed off , they can start doing fault diagnosis by replacement.

I had similar on my G Cherokee (merc) final drive module which was resolved when they published v2 of the software !!!!!!

Hi, did you ever resolve this issue as I have had my a220 cdi 5 months now and it does that exact same thing. Merc have replicated the fault but unable to fix it yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom