A45 any good as a daily driver?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Northerner

I'm looking at having a major reshuffle of the family cars and am looking at replacing my turbo'd mini GP (current daily) with an A45.

Any real world feedback would be welcome on an a45 as a daily motor for a commute on motorways and a roads also a few open country roads.

Got a CLA45, pretty much an A45 with a back end.

Ride is pretty harsh especially on the 19's but for me it's not bad enough to rule out the car, shouldn't be too much of an issue with you coming from a Mini.

Sports seats are surprisingly pleasant and held up well on a few 250+ mile trips i've done.

Head room is slightly limited in the rear as well as leg room if you're 6ft2+

Overall the cabin is a nice place to be, would recommend getting the leather package with the dash and memory package!

Performance pretty much speaks for itself, you won't get much more in terms of hot hatch's and it grips to the road in every condition. Great for the English weather.

Around town very high teens to low 20's depending on how i'm driving

Motorways, 32+ is quite easily achievable. With the average being around 30 again depending on how you're driving.

Highest i've had is 38

Around town very high teens to low 20's depending on how i'm driving

Motorways, 32+ is quite easily achievable. With the average being around 30 again depending on how you're driving.

Highest i've had is 38

38mpg on a 2lt turbo is very economical! I didn't imagine it being that high.

Feel like a Judas writing this but the ride is awful which is why I ended up with a Golf R. If it was your weekend car it qould make sense but too crashy on UK roads IMO

Given the marginal difference in economy I would say a C63 is a better option or indeed an E63.

Had my A45 for 18 months and found the ride to be quite forgiving. It depends what you're used to I suppose. It's incredibly capable, economical for the performance and sounds fruity too. An ECU remap (don't bother with the plug in box) will really open it up too. Mine was a proper weapon after a few mods.

Compared to your Mini you'll see it as a big step up. I came to the A45 after a mapped C63 and really enjoyed it. But, 18 months on and I was back in a C63 again. Can't get away from the big V8. Just no substitute.

I have come from 5 BMW's over the last few years and find the ride in the A45 FL absolutely fine, better than the BMW's.

I went for adjustable suspension and in comfort it is softer than the pre FL was. Sport + in the new one is about the same as the old one was as std.

I get 22-33mpg so far but have only had it 2 months so it is still breaking in.

I love it !!

Suppose the ride quality is all personal preference.. I acknowledge it's not the smoothest ride but I see past it and it really doesn't bother me. However my father couldn't get away with it at all the times he's rode as passenger!

As MPG goes the 38 was on a trip back from London to North, M62 average speed checks may of helped! :D

For a daily driver stay clear of sports suspension and the larger wheels and you will be fine. Mine was a daily driver and only got rid when I started a very long commute hence the 220d. If you drive like a nun you can get near to 49mpg but low 20s is a more reasonable expectation in my experience.

Had my A45 for 18 months and found the ride to be quite forgiving. It depends what you're used to I suppose. It's incredibly capable, economical for the performance and sounds fruity too. An ECU remap (don't bother with the plug in box) will really open it up too. Mine was a proper weapon after a few mods.

Compared to your Mini you'll see it as a big step up. I came to the A45 after a mapped C63 and really enjoyed it. But, 18 months on and I was back in a C63 again. Can't get away from the big V8. Just no substitute.

I probably should have expanded on the family cars reference at the start of the post, which consists of a remapped c63 estate, Audi R8 (the wife's), lotus exige 260s and the mini gp which is pushing out around 350hp.

I'm racking up too many miles on the c63 so will be looking to replace with a e63s or rs6 estate. The exige will be going soon to be replaced by a Nissan GT-R. The gp is too hardcore in its current form as a daily driver hence why I'm looking to replace with the a45.

Last edited:
Feel like a Judas writing this but the ride is awful which is why I ended up with a Golf R. If it was your weekend car it qould make sense but too crashy on UK roads IMO

I'd have to agree. Ride is harsh and quite unforgiving for everyday driving. Stretch its legs on a smooth road and its great. But theres no comparison to the supple ride of the Golf R. I ran both for about 6 months and ended up keeping the Golf and selling the A45.

I'd have to agree. Ride is harsh and quite unforgiving for everyday driving. Stretch its legs on a smooth road and its great. But theres no comparison to the supple ride of the Golf R. I ran both for about 6 months and ended up keeping the Golf and selling the A45.

Its also pretty small in the cabin if you are over 6ft and have child seats in the back. Horses for courses. Its a great car but more of a weekend toy I think.

Has anyone had any experience with the new S3 or RS3? One went past me yesterday and was absolutely gorgeous, sounded pretty nice too. Silver with silver wheels

There quite different in price and engine. The S3 is a 2 Litre 4 pot, the RS3 is the 5 Cylinder 2.5 Litre, peach of an engine.

Has anyone had any experience with the new S3 or RS3? One went past me yesterday and was absolutely gorgeous, sounded pretty nice too. Silver with silver wheels

Nearly bought an RS3 but you have to be a midget to sit in the passenger seat. Also something like £50k fully specced and a ride quality like concrete om bad roads. Very very quick and sure footed though.

It would be a fun weekend car but you could have a very very nice 911 for that money that would be just as practical!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom