ABC fluid and filter change done.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToeKnee

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
R230 SL500 in teal blue, R231 SL500 in black. (Vauxhall insignia diesel now sold) Black Ford Mondeo
Did the ABC fluid and filter change on my 2006 SL500 today, car has done 49000 miles. Followed the on-line instructions and it was a very simple and straightforward job. One thing I noticed though was that there is a code on top of the filter which I'm assuming is a manufacturer date code, on the new one it was 09/16 and the one I removed was 04/06. If I'm correct then the filter has never been replaced, the fluid was quite dark and smelled "burnt" so was time for a change. All green and clear now. :bannana:

About to do the same on my car once the strut ball joints have been refurbished, assuming I can extract them from the car. The ball joint just doesn't want to separate at the moment.

Mine is also black and it sticks, odd that MB don't seem to be pro active with getting this replaced considering the damage it can cause.

The recieved wisdom is to change the ABC fluid every 2 yrs to ensure the system stays very clean, and thus ensuring maximum life to the system.

The recieved wisdom is to change the ABC fluid every 2 yrs to ensure the system stays very clean, and thus ensuring maximum life to the system.

Assuming the code on the filter IS the date code then my filter hadn't been changed in 10 years and with a "full" service history!

It was cheap enough to do it every few years so that's what I'll do.

Thanks Toeknee you've confirmed that I did the correct preventive maintenance on my 2004 500SL. Mine has done 59K but the fluid was quite clean. Reading the posts reference ABC suspension system and the brake pump I keep wondering if I was foolish in buying a 500SL rather than the 3.7 Litre? I appreciate that forums do reflect owners with problems but is the 500 a car that is a future money pit? I have to say coming from a R129 the 500SL is a lovely vehicle to drive and the V8 an inch I had to scratch! My thoughts now turn to the gearbox. At present performing perfectly as is the rest of the car. My respected indie' who will carryout the servicing has suggested that if the gearbox oil looks clean and doesn't smell, leave well alone. Mercedes want £300+ to change the gearbox oil. I'm into preventive maintenance having carried out Malcomb's rear wheel arch rustproofing procedure. Bascially are these cars a bad buy? Thanks for any replies and sorry Toeknee if I strayed off your original post. Cheers J C.

Did the ABC fluid and filter change on my 2006 SL500 today, car has done 49000 miles. Followed the on-line instructions and it was a very simple and straightforward job. One thing I noticed though was that there is a code on top of the filter which I'm assuming is a manufacturer date code, on the new one it was 09/16 and the one I removed was 04/06. If I'm correct then the filter has never been replaced, the fluid was quite dark and smelled "burnt" so was time for a change. All green and clear now. :bannana:
The date on the filter is probably when it was made , not changed. So its quite possible that it sat boxed , brand new on a shelf somewhere for all of those years....on the other hand your theory of it being on the engine all of those years could also be true...gulp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom