ABS, ESP and Runflat Inoperative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

efeniyanos

Car
Mercedes Benz E300
Hi all,

My 2008 E300 after sitting in subzero for 2 days after running through a puddle showed errors of ABS, ESP and runflat inoperative. Power steering also disabled (steering wheel very stiff). These problems show after a minute or so of driving. Transmission is fine with shifting etc. Had just replaced the rear right wheel abs sensor and axle the other week (along with ball joints two months back) and still giving error code 4575 - RPM sensor: rotation direction is incorrect.
Have taken it to other Mercedes dealers and European specialized shops with no luck on a fix/hearing of the code. (A similar issue occurred in the summer and lasted for 24 hours while running over a similar size puddle)

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Last week I also had Runflat inoperative , cleared it and then next day ( 180 miles later ) ESP inoperative on starting and reappeared 150 miles later. I also had two new wheel sensors fitted about 2 months ago .
Car sitting waiting 75 mile trip to Indi for A Service, MOT, fixing suspect blowing Injector and the dashboard warning lights ( currently outv). I am wondering if it is the battery as car is 10 years old (46k miles ) but was only bought 6 months ago, starts ok but have asked the garage to check and replace unless it is obviously reasonably new and showing no sign of failure

car needs a scan , its most likely a wheel speed sensor .

It did get a scan and that was the error in detecting the wheel rotation direction. Possibly faulty sensor without the magnetic ring? May have to order another. After resistance and voltage testing the speed sensor using a multimeter it worked fine.. Could it be a polarity issue ? Also another couple thoughts are leaky connections at the wiring harness location. Also another person had an issue where the voltage signal differential between the rear wheel sensors was enough to make the abs light come on as the abs module was confused by the readings.

How good is your battery? Most modern cars need to see a good, constant voltage and if they don't, it throws up all sorts of errors.

Hi all, the simple fix is that my mechanic had purchased the initial ABS replacement sensor not from the dealer. Lights (ABS, EPS) still came on but the initial transmission issue was fixed. Battery and other internal testings didn't show anything out of the ordinary. However, system still read wheels are rotating in wrong direction.

However, after a completely unrelated issue occuring and the car going back in, I had the replacement sensor replaced with a new ABS sensor from the dealer and it works perfect!! No transmission issues or error lights coming on!
So... moral of the story don't mess around with non-dealership ABS sensors... Only one more thing to fix with the vehicle and then it is as good as new. *knock on wood*

When scanning always read the live data of the senson at fault to confirm.

The wheel speed sensors are notorious for failing on these. We have often fitted more than two to one car. Only buy genuine too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom