ABS on early 190e

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bloomsburyfan

Car
190e
Hello,
Newbie here...
I'm looking to buy a 190e (not Cosworth), and on a budget. I would be looking at a 1982 model -- Has anyone retrofitted the later ABS braking system on an '82? Would this be possible? If so, any idea of cost of parts + labour?
I don't plan to use the car every day, just weekends, but could include longer 200km drives every once in a while. Not sure if ABS is really needed, but would like to know. Thanks.

Can't help with specifics but I can tell you that as well as the ABS unit itself there is an additional dedicated ECU behind the battery.

I had an 89 190e with ABS and could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times the ABS activated during 21 years of ownership and they were mostly mucking about on snow. It was an option even in 89.

Last edited:
Better spending the money on making sure your existing braking system is in top nick- discs/pads/shoes/calipers/fluids/master cylinder. An 82 engine may not have hydraulic tappets- and a single timing chain- they can be converted to duplex. So a few things to look at before ABS perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom