Abuse via text

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes W204 C220cdi Estate Ford Fiesta Mk 4
My wife has suffered with abusive telephone calls from one of her family in the past and, as technology moves ever onward, is now receiving a new type of problem, hence the title of this post. :(

Telephone calls stopped after I answered the 'phone and told my dear sister - in - law that she should stop drinking /calling at weekends otherwise the police would be asked to intervene. That seemed to do the trick.

Unsure of how to deal with the latest nonsense to be honest so any advice /experiences gratefully received. :confused:

Hi,
Can she not just block the number? my phone gives me that option, if not you maybe able to ask the supplier to block it.

Mike

What phone is your wife using. On some handsets you can bar certain numbers. Failing that you can ask your network provider to bar these numbers.

What you have here is harassment. I would suggest that your wife keeps all the texts for now in case she requires further action at a later date. The Police have been reminded that harassment is a crime, as is stalking so they are likely to be sympathetic to any complaint made by you and or your wife.

Not a nice thing to deal with. I wish you well.

How inconvenient would it be to change phone numbers?

Telephone calls stopped after I answered the 'phone and told my dear sister - in - law that she should stop drinking /calling at weekends otherwise the police would be asked to intervene. That seemed to do the trick.

If you know who the text messages are coming from, would the same approach not work?

My daughter was having this... I got "all" of her texts funnelled through to the police (due to the nature of the texts).. the offender was tracked and dealt with.... all good now...
I also know that your provider will also offer some sort of intervention as well.. that may be worth trying first as our episode was the last straw...

Or as its family, how about a personal visit and chat?

Best of luck Mike..

iPhone and android phones you can download an app that blocks texts from a given number.

network operators won't block the number unless asked to do so by the police, if they are really abusive then they should be channelled to the police as posted earlier who will then deal with it. They take this sort of thing very seriously.

My daughter had a very similar problem to this all resolved now though I'm pleased to say

Really touched by the responses posted so quickly so thank you all very much indeed. Restores one's faith in humanity.

In reply:-
  1. Tried to block the number but failed so purchased another 'phone which still did not do the trick.
  2. Have tried to involve network provider but that failed as well. Will now try again.
  3. Am thinking of calling her myself with police involvement as the threat and may well do so shortly.
  4. All texts received have been stored for future use as evidence if necessary.

Mike, obviously we don't know the circumstances, but it is your SIL. The first call must be to said SIL with the threat of police action (as you say), or other members of the family who may have more influence.

It sounds like sad situation.

Mike, obviously we don't know the circumstances, but it is your SIL. The first call must be to said SIL with the threat of police action (as you say), or other members of the family who may have more influence.

It sounds like sad situation.

Unfortunately SIL has a history of serious drinking over many years, failed relationships, issues with her close family, smoking realted illness so generally self inflicted.

Doesn't justify this nonsense though:crazy:

Sounds to me like she needs help. The police can actually be sympathetic in these situations, it's all down to how you approach them.

I'd have a chat with an officer on a "My SIL needs help" basis, she should be considered a vunerable adult and mechanisms are in place to help these people.

Publish her number on MB Club.

I'm sure we could out-text her. :devil:

Publish her number on MB Club.

I'm sure we could out-text her. :devil:

I have to admit to liking that idea a lot but it would probably make an already tricky situation worse. Will sleep on it but hanks for the thought.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom