Acceleration better with pedal not fully depressed W124 200E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cleggmeister

Car
1990 W124 200E
I'm guessing this is a linkage issue but would appreciate the reassurance...

My 1990 W124 200E accelerates more rapidly with the pedal pressed to approx 3\4 maximum. Pressing the pedal fully down reduces the acceleration by a noticeable, but not massive degree.

All is running well, good economy and happy sounding/revving engine.

Do I just need to take up or let out the linkage? Assuming there is a linkage of course; I haven't actually looked...

Many thanks folks.

Cleggy.

My 230TE is better if you don't kick down once already moving, it just revs to 6k but there is no pull until it changes back down to 3k revs where the torque is.

Is it an auto ?

On my 124 auto the ignition is altered when the gears change, to help
reduce gearbox/transmission wear.

Perhaps your ignition is being retarded in readiness for the kickdown/gear change, but the change doesn't happen because of linkage/vacuum fault.

Probably an induction air leak or weak mixture.

Cleggmeister said:
I'm guessing this is a linkage issue but would appreciate the reassurance... My 1990 W124 200E accelerates more rapidly with the pedal pressed to approx 3\4 maximum. Pressing the pedal fully down reduces the acceleration by a noticeable, but not massive degree. All is running well, good economy and happy sounding/revving engine. Do I just need to take up or let out the linkage? Assuming there is a linkage of course; I haven't actually looked... Many thanks folks. Cleggy.

I'm pretty sure most 200's are like this. I would leave it!

I'm pretty sure most 200's are like this. I would leave it!

That's the answer I was looking for :)

Right, off to do some bodywork...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom