Action holidays!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
Am I the only one? I cannot stand beach holidays: lying on a beach for more than 10 minutes drives me nuts (and do people really still lie in the sun for hour after hour? :eek: )

My perfect holiday is where are there lots of things to do and to see. Hire a car and drive, visit cities, friends, mountains etc.

Anyone else here love 'action' holidays over beach/poolside holidays?

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be about Skiing, bungeeing and zorbing! But, no, I don't think that you're alone, I'd much sooner take the car (or hire one) and go and explore. I reckon that more people would prefer to do that than really do nothing but sit on a beach/by a pool all day.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have the option to see a bit of the sea or sit by the pool and relax but in my opinion it should be just that, an option.

One of my best holidays was in Corsica.

Morning and early afternoon walking in the mountains.
Late afternoon on a sunny beach, swimming in the sea or sailing.
Evening sipping wine.

I dont like vegging for 2 weeks on a beach, when there are cars to drive, places to see, drink to drink and food to eat. Went parasailing on a lads holiday, was one of the highlights as well as the rental car-the boozing part was good too :D

i go to los angeles all the time.... in that city you never know what will happen.. sitting outside at mells diner.. we see a R1 and a sl65black series lining up then a few short moments later a slr comes past to my surprise not even making a noise

I do most of my holidays on the US west cost/Nevada/Utah/Arizona as there is so much to see.
Unlike tonysmallz I hate LA though and always try to escape as fast as possible, On the othe rhand I can actually spend 5/6 days in Vegas whereas for most people a long weekend is more than enough.

I am off to Yosemite at the end of February for one specific picture and the chance to go round the park in the snow :doh: - However I may well combine this with a trip to the Big Sur and drive route one again , or yet another trip to Death Valley

For me its a hire car and a some carefully booked half decent hotels

Jeep.jpg

Quite a few of my US pics are on a slideshow I did for last year

My 2009 Gallery

Mark

I do most of my holidays on the US west cost/Nevada/Utah/Arizona as there is so much to see.
Unlike tonysmallz I hate LA though and always try to escape as fast as possible, On the othe rhand I can actually spend 5/6 days in Vegas whereas for most people a long weekend is more than enough.

I am off to Yosemite at the end of February for one specific picture and the chance to go round the park in the snow :doh: - However I may well combine this with a trip to the Big Sur and drive route one again , or yet another trip to Death Valley

For me its a hire car and a some carefully booked half decent hotels

Jeep.jpg

Quite a few of my US pics are on a slideshow I did for last year

My 2009 Gallery

Mark

yea i 2nd this mark.. westcoast is really good 2 weeks is never enough and that just Hollywood for me.. more benzes than people lol.. just love citys.. hate the country.. i have also been to trinidad and tobago (both islands) and barbados.. but nothing compares to LA in my eyes.. love to go to SD and SF.. im going to vegas is 2 years should be fun. C300 was also a bit of kit the one i had sounded like a mad machine... the new 350 V6 engine is a killer

Last edited:
I've kinda gone the other way - I loved banging around the world, doing the sights, wandering off the beaten track, etc, etc.

Now I just yearn for sunshine, a private pool, and kids bringing the old man a G&T every hour...

Florida (not necessarily Orlando), loooads to do

I regularly go Scuba diving to Egypt, 7 day holiday, 6 days diving. :)
Best holiday though was 3 years back, Xmas ’06, went to New Zealand where I bungeed from bridges, skydived over Lake Taupo, jumped off the tallest tower in southern hemisphere (630 feet:eek:), had numerous flights in small, 6~12 seater planes, oh yeah….got married 6000 feet up Aoraki Mount Cook, on the neeve of Fox Glacier! :D (that gave away my user name away then)

IMO the only thing worth seeing in LA is "Cars and Coffee" - I drove there for the morning meet from Santa Barbara in 2007 and loved it.
I spent 6 days in LA in 2002 and again in 2003 for work and hated every minute of it. Just to cap it all - LAX is a real hole of an airport that I will never fly into again. TSA agents in LA seem to think they are gods for some reason :dk:

Give me Vegas, SB, SD or SFO however and I am quite at home, - Even then I will likely be off to Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Eastern Sierras, Zion NP, Monument Valley, Big Sur, Monterey, :)

So many places to see - so little time !

Am I the only one? I cannot stand beach holidays: lying on a beach for more than 10 minutes drives me nuts (and do people really still lie in the sun for hour after hour? :eek: )

My perfect holiday is where are there lots of things to do and to see. Hire a car and drive, visit cities, friends, mountains etc.

Anyone else here love 'action' holidays over beach/poolside holidays?

Same feeling here! I always send my wife and my daughter to seaside anywhere they like. I cant stand the sun ...
Action holidays...:) 24/7/365 ! Count me in ! :)
Thinking of one this summer: 4 cars , driving from London over the Channel to: Koln-Munchen- Salzburg- Wien - Budapest- Bucharest- Sofia- Istambul - Izmir- Tel Aviv- Cairo- Benghazi-Tripoli- Monastir-Alger- Marrakesh- Casablanca- Gibraltar- and then back to UK .

The only thing is : waiting to see if wee need Vizas for Lebanon and terrorists threats!? ... Met Police are taking their times on this:).

It`ll take 21 days . We`ll be driving 2 mercs ( E320 cdi Sport and S320cdi ) , 1 BMW 730d, 1 audi S8 . We`re doing this every summer ...for the last 5 years now :).

So far we`ve done Europe , Usa, Marocco twice :), Moscow, Saudi Arabia, South America :)...next one M25 with 5 lanes ? :ban:

Ever thought of cruising? The Caribbean offers great snorkling, scuba, zip lining, walking or for the more relaxed, shopping, lots of day trips, but if you are into burning the calories, most cruise ships have a gym, swimming pools and promenade decks, or you can lie and soak up the sun with the energetic raising of the arm to order another drink:D:D

besides the boredom of sitting on a beach, I would have thought that warnings about the dangers of too much sun would put people off.
LA when working is boring but for a holiday there is plenty to do, either at a kids level or, on a higher plane of culture. Try going inland too. In fact I have never been bored anywhere in the US.
Nice to sit around relaxing sometimes providing it is a shady place but then the need to get out and about kicks in and we are off walking, exploring, museums, galleries and anything else of interest. Avoid shows of local dancing and traditions.
A cruise would be like prison, just the concept of being trapped on a Wallace Arnold floating coach is anathema with buffet food - no thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom