ADAC Collision Avoidance Systems test - 1st place goes to Volvo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The best collision avoidance system is an attentive driver .

Actually, the best collision avoidance system it a few pints of beer... you drink it, you are over the limit, you walk home and sleep it off :D

On another note, I am a keen supported of collision avoidance systems - mainly because I don't have one myself, so I figured that if everyone else had one, then I'll be safe anyway :D

The best collision avoidance system is an attentive driver .

Indeed, what I don't get is why everyone wants to isolate themselves from the process of driving, and their interaction with their car.

Distronic, why have this, the pedals etc have been weighted to give both comfort and precise control. Whats wrong with using the go pedal to interact with your engine, its one of the best engines in the modern cars, its a joy to listen to, feel and interact with. Whats wrong with using the brakes to slow down, the pedals on all Mercedes (even the lesser FWD ones) have a lovely consistant feel and on the SBC cars work wonderfully.

Blindspot assist, what was wrong with looking over your shoulder

Lane guidance, what is wrong with steering the car properly. Mercedes, well the proper ones, are rear wheel drive and have lovely feelsome steering thats a joy to behold mile after mile, after mile.

Automatic wipers, whilst pleasant, the stalk has a lovely pleasing action, simply missing from lesser cars. I want to use it, I paid good money for all this.

The more electronic gadgets the more to go wrong and money making potential for the dealers, or am I being cynical :D

The more electronic gadgets the more to go wrong and money making potential for the dealers, or am I being cynical :D

Yes and no

1) They are all optional so a savvy buyer wont add them all
2) MB build them pretty badly so they all fail withing warranty period. New COMANDs are not unheard of.

It can inflate the price of a car greatly adding the options to it. Look at a basic E350cdi Sport. It comes with everything standard. Its pretty good value at under £40k when you spec a Golf GT D or look for used Golf GTDs that are 2/3-3/4 of the price with all the goodies in them that an E350CDi is standard.

Even lightly used E350CDis are about £30k. A Golf R will cost you more second hand and if you buy a Brabus D6 box you'll go as fast as it and your car has more goodies for free.

The "poverty" spec cars new are such good value when you compare them to others.

Indeed, what I don't get is why everyone wants to isolate themselves from the process of driving, and their interaction with their car.

Distronic, why have this, the pedals etc have been weighted to give both comfort and precise control. Whats wrong with using the go pedal to interact with your engine, its one of the best engines in the modern cars, its a joy to listen to, feel and interact with. Whats wrong with using the brakes to slow down, the pedals on all Mercedes (even the lesser FWD ones) have a lovely consistant feel and on the SBC cars work wonderfully.

Blindspot assist, what was wrong with looking over your shoulder

Lane guidance, what is wrong with steering the car properly. Mercedes, well the proper ones, are rear wheel drive and have lovely feelsome steering thats a joy to behold mile after mile, after mile.

Automatic wipers, whilst pleasant, the stalk has a lovely pleasing action, simply missing from lesser cars. I want to use it, I paid good money for all this.

As you say, you don't have to have any of these, or indeed spec them. However, having the choice to use them is great.

Distronic - would never use this when on a spirited drive. When I'm on boring motorways, etc, I find it much easier to set the cruise control / distronic and not worryy about it. Things like SBC STOP were great when I was doing a lot of city driving, shame they took it away.

Blindspot Assist - these are getting bigger and bigger in vehicles today. Nothing wrong at all in moving your head, I do it all the time. You can still miss something, especially the daft biker who insists on sitting on your rear 3/4 and is right in your blindspot. If used properly, it enhances your awareness - an if it means one less person is killed or injured, then great.

Lane Guidance - well, probably a sad indictment on pressures today which mean that many drivers continue to drive when they are too tired. If it saves a life, great. We should change our driving habits but that'll never happen.

Autowipers - not necessary but I like it, as I also like auto lights, parking sensors, auto closong boot, a decent audio system, sat-nav, electric windows, and so on.

For me there is a time and place for direct interaction, and likewise for a more relaxing time in my car. None of the driving aids reduce my levels of concentration - rather I would argue that in some cases (on a foreign motorway for example) as I'm not worrying about speed limits and where I'm going, I can concentrate more on traffic conditions. I'm lucky enough that my job gives me opportunity to have "direct interaction" with a variety of vehicles too, thanks to the goodwill of various manufacturers. I'm also lucky enough to have a car that allows me to use the latest technology when I want to, or to turn it off - I like having the choice tho :)

In 8 years total of Benz ownership, I've had 1 problem with the driver aids which was a parking sensor going bad about 3 months ago - still able to park the car. Not bad over about 250,000 miles of motoring :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom