Adaptive Brake Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

So, travelling down the M6 towards Manchester last week behind a E63 65plate estate. All of a sudden everyone's brake lights lit up and all cars grind to a holt. The reason was shear volume of traffic and thankfully not an accident.

Honestly I'd never had to slam on as hard for many years.

My question is, Just how hard does a Merc have to brake for the brake lights to start 'strobe flashing' (Adaptive Brake Lights)? As I said it was a very hard brake that we all had to do but no flashing from the E63.

Has anyone ever witnessed this function whilst out on the roads?

Ant. :thumb:

Last year on the M25, I was in the middle lane doing about 10mph, when a new 64 plate Eclass came past me doing about 50mph don't ask me why? but just before he hit the van in front of him I saw the flashing brake lights come on, so I guess only in an emergency situation

So, travelling down the M6 towards Manchester last week behind a E63 65plate estate. All of a sudden everyone's brake lights lit up and all cars grind to a holt. The reason was shear volume of traffic and thankfully not an accident.

Honestly I'd never had to slam on as hard for many years.

My question is, Just how hard does a Merc have to brake for the brake lights to start 'strobe flashing' (Adaptive Brake Lights)? As I said it was a very hard brake that we all had to do but no flashing from the E63.

Has anyone ever witnessed this function whilst out on the roads?

Ant. :thumb:

I think they come on the moment you confirm that adrenalin is brown !

Isn't it linked to the ABS being activated?

From the Mercedes website... Mercedes-Benz TechCenter: Adaptive brake lights

The adaptive brake lights are activated in the event of sharp braking from speeds above 50 km/h, for example, because Brake Assist (BAS) was triggered. Drivers behind are warned in good time by the rapidly flashing brake lights and can therefore react more quickly. The hazard warning lights activate automatically when the vehicle slows from a speed of over 70 km/h to a standstill during emergency braking.

From the Mercedes website... Mercedes-Benz TechCenter: Adaptive brake lights

The adaptive brake lights are activated in the event of sharp braking from speeds above 50 km/h, for example, because Brake Assist (BAS) was triggered. Drivers behind are warned in good time by the rapidly flashing brake lights and can therefore react more quickly. The hazard warning lights activate automatically when the vehicle slows from a speed of over 70 km/h to a standstill during emergency braking.

Thanks for that. The E63 was defo doing above 50km/h and it was one hell of a stop.

Ant.

When I wrote to Mercedes and suggested it some 30 odd years ago , it was because at the time Mercedes were the first manufacturer to roll out ABS across their range and my point was that with ABS activated following drivers needed all the warning they could get .

To my mind , a flashing brake light is symbolic of the pulsing of an ABS system .

I need something at the other end of the braking spectrum: indication that I'm slowing down without touching the brakes. Because I try to think we'll ahead when I'm driving I find I'm using the brakes far less than most, merely lifting my right foot to reduce speed in good time. That may well be why I've had three people crash into the back of me! I've taken to lightly touching the brakes now when vehicles are following just to make it more obvious that I'm slowing, but resent having to do this. Perhaps a slowly pulsating brake light when decelerating beyond a certain amount would be useful, as long as it became standard for all vehicles?

If someone is following a bit too close for my liking , I may give a hand signal before slowing .

If someone is following a bit too close for my liking , I may give a hand signal before slowing .

Did you suggest this to Mercedes in the same letter ?:)

Well I never knew this... but then again I don't follow myself (and in fairness I do break early/keep my distance anyway).

It's easy to test, I've tested it.

If you go to an empty bit of road that has road signs at night, you'll see if slam on hard (really hard), you can see the flashing in the road signs in the RVM.

Maybe the E63 just wasn't braking hard enough. I know if I braked hard enough in any traffic to cause the brake lights to flash I'd get rear ended. I've not yet encountered a traffic situation where I've had to brake hard enough for them to flash. I think the threshold is a bit too extreme. If you try it yourself with nothing behind, so no holding back, you'll see.

It's easy to test, I've tested it.

If you go to an empty bit of road that has road signs at night, you'll see if slam on hard (really hard), you can see the flashing in the road signs in the RVM.

Maybe the E63 just wasn't braking hard enough. I know if I braked hard enough in any traffic to cause the brake lights to flash I'd get rear ended. I've not yet encountered a traffic situation where I've had to brake hard enough for them to flash. I think the threshold is a bit too extreme. If you try it yourself with nothing behind, so no holding back, you'll see.

I think I'll wait until I really have to. I like my tires to last tens of thousands of miles! ;)

Did you suggest this to Mercedes in the same letter ?:)

No : because that is something for the driver to consider , not the manufacturer .

However , I have over the years made constructive suggestions - the most memorable of which was the one that ( following my then young daughter being unable to find it ) seat belt receptacles should be illuminated to help people find them in the dark , and that they should flash following a collision - for which I received a sincere letter of thanks and a reward :)

I don't believe I have forgotten about this thread, considering I spent a better part of 2016 developing a compact, intelligent, adaptive brake light system, so a huge thank you to David Richardson for mentioning it in his email :thumb:

Now about the system: it's called FLASH••A••BRAKE™ and it will work on practically any old car, with a simple DIY install - it sits between your car's source of brake light signal (SAM or just wire), and the actual third brake light.

It is not a cheap strobe unit, and will not flash, when braking gently nor when the car is stationary; it will analyse the braking pattern and deceleration, and react to genuine emergency braking.

Completed field tests, and have a prototype installed in my car now for over three months - works perfectly. I should be able to start offerring retail units in about two month time. The website should be up and running by then too.

There will be a special offer, and a free shipping, for forum members.
Register your interest and get an extra 5% off - email me on:
mb-forum @ keep-ness-robotics.co.uk

More details, once I register as a forum supporter (waiting for reply).

David

I have coded this feature in my W211 (via star).

I still need to test it out to see if the coding has worked.

He-he, I wish I could do that in mine, but it was never available on 2006 W169s.

The unit I developed is aimed at older cars, that never had this option - it is completely independent of the car's computer (if any), hidden, so doesn't alter the appearance, yet provides essentially the same functionality as the factory system, at a fraction of the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom