1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

Adblue warning question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EnEm, Nov 4, 2016.

1. EnEm

EnEm New Member

Car:
    E-Class W213
    E-class with ad blue tank and filler cap in the boot (not the latest model, but the one before).

Can it be topped up by the driver and if so does the warning light go off automatically or does this need to be reset by the dealer?

Thanks as always
    EnEm

2. Abcan

Abcan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 250CDI 2012
  3. DSB SL AMG

DSB SL AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
    Have you got Mobilo?

If a vehicle’s AdBlue tank runs empty and fails to start, customers with Roadside Assistance cover will receive a free 10 litre AdBlue top up at the roadside.:thumb:

4. christopherwk

christopherwk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 E220d SE Cavansite Blue/Macchiato Beige
    On my W213, there's an electronic gauge on the display, where you can see how much AdBlue is in the tank. A message comes up when the range goes below 1,000 miles which disappears when you fill it up.

As in the video, I'd top it right up, before taking it in for a service at the dealer. To be charged an hours labour is ridiculous, and I bet they'd charge more than £13.49 for 10 litres, which is what it costs at (the bigger) Shell garages.

5. LeeB

LeeB New Member

Car:
    W213 220d AMG Line
    Topping up AdBlue on W213

I had the warning on the dashboard telling me to top up AdBlue, I have covered over 10,000 miles in the car since buying it new. A quick call to the dealer revealed they now charge for the first AdBlue top-up, where previously this was a free of charge service if the car was in warranty and (I believe) you had a service plan with the dealer. Anyway, no matter whether they did or didn't charge, the hassle and time taking the car in to get this sorted was something I didn't want to contemplate.

I looked around and found various options for topping up, my car has a 27½ litre AdBlue tank so buying in 2 litre bottles looked to be time consuming and probably expensive. There are loads of alternatives and price variations for the packaged stuff but, for me, it came down to a choice of buying 10 litre containers and decanting through a funnel or buying lots of 2 litre containers with a screw-on attachment. The best solution I found was from the AdBlue pump at a filling station designed for use by lorries - you must approach this with caution as getting it wrong and spraying the stuff everywhere is not what you want.

The nozzle of the AdBlue pump is a perfect fit for the filler on the car, if you don't squeeze the pump handle too hard you can fill with caution and the pump "knocks off" as the tank approaches full, just like re-fuelling. This proved to be a good alternative to the stuff in containers and convenient too, the price was better at 85p/litre, rather than what you pay for the same stuff in containers. When I went to pay I was told that there would be a pump specifically for use by car drivers "soon", but I'm not holding my breath.

As with all things like this, be sure to buy from a reputable filling station where they have a healthy turnover of fuel and additives. Take your time when filling, don't do it in a rush.

6. SW18

SW18 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E500 Sport
    Can you not just pi$$ in the AdBlu tank? (Just joking...)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. Rory

Rory Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (2004 facelift model)
    That's a bit cheap of Mercedes. They've changed it so in the first year you have to buy the AdBlue from the dealer and then they'll put it in free.