add atf fluid in diesel cure leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
hi I have a very small leak from around the pipe on the fuel pump , ive heard on other forums that adding a litre of atf fluid to a full tank of diesel will make the o rings seal and hopefully stop it , apparently other people have had success , any thoughts on doing this ? car e320 diesel yr 2000

I think I have that leak too...you try it and report back.

In that case I will try it , ans Renault 12 ts its a very slow drip from the pump on front of engine left side of pump , I googled diesel fuel leak and was directed to some forums where people have added a litre to a tank of diesel , and it apparently causes the o ring to swell and seal .
apparently a cause of a lot of leaks is low sulphur diesel that is used now ,I will report back when ive tried.

yes fixing the leak is the best option , but until I have it fixed I thought id try the cheaper option see if it works .

Seals "dry out" not just because of the fuels lack of additives.

Replace them if they are leaking as you will regret it when they fail and your in the middle of nowhere at 03:00

Isn't the seal cheaper than 1 litre of ATF fluid . And only about 2 mins to fit it.

Isn't the seal cheaper than 1 litre of ATF fluid . And only about 2 mins to fit it.

Yes but once your committed to changing the seals, the pipes usually need to be or should be replaced as they get brittle.

Still a cheap little job though :)

Can you describe how to do it please...I might go down that route...in any case I have it booked in in two weeks time...but a little knowledge etc...

Replace it and get it sorted. Best option

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

yes fixing the leak is the best option , but until I have it fixed I thought id try the cheaper option see if it works .

Cheaper option usually results in paying twice and doing what should have been done in the first place, if you want to introduce anything other than diesel oil to a cdi engine be my guest, the seals are like £1.50 each from merc and neither of them are difficult to change.

Looks a fiddly difficult job to me , I am not sure if I would be able to , how much would a garage charge ? it looks very fiddly and poss have 2 remove the radiator

I had a leak from the HP pump to the rail, had the pipe and seal replaced and so far so good. Will check next weekend to see how it is, I had air bubbles in the fuel line under load but have never had a starting or running problem (apart from reduced mpg)

If it's the same pipe, it's about £40-£45 from Merc

I cant see exactly where its leaking , I need to clean it up to see , but its a very slow drip coming from the left side of fuel pump if your standing looking at engine im not sure if its coming from the back of fuel pump or a pipe where it goes into pump ..

Sounds like one of the two bottom pipes . Simple fix undo the plate holding them in replace seals and then refit. Takes couple of minutes.

The ATF fix will only work for a while.
As suggested, far better to invest the effort required to replace the seal at a time of your choosing.
How much is the temporary fix gunna save you vs. what it could cost when it's gone teets-up ?

The ATF fix will only work for a while.
As suggested, far better to invest the effort required to replace the seal at a time of your choosing.
How much is the temporary fix gunna save you vs. what it could cost when it's gone teets-up ?
your right but I will get my indie 2 fix it I don't trust myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom