Adding a switched fused circuit on a W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
Hello first and foremost I'm looking for a way in which I can get switched power so my headunit turns off with the key.

At the moment my accessory wire on my headunit runs straight to the battery with an inline fuse, this results in the there being constant power and the head unit always staying on.

I was hoping there is a fuse in the fuse box under the rear seat which I can tap into, if so which one? and secondly has anyone used the fuse taps from halfords (See link below), any risks involved?

Click here to see fuse tap

My experience with my previous Merc was that each unused fuse socket in the fuse box had 12v power in it....

I used this type of 'fuse coupler' to obtain power from one of the empty sockets:

Wholesale-10pcs-font-b-15A-b-font-Mini-Blade-font-b-Fuse-b-font-Tap-Holder.jpg

of course you can also use it on an active fuse, but I was hesitant to share power from another consumer circuit.

You could try running a wire directly from the fag lighter.

If you use a Connects2 kit it should take care of this for you ?

Don't really want to splice into any wires although this is what my initial plan was lol

If you use a Connects2 kit it should take care of this for you ?

It won't take care of it as there is no switched live. IIRC the connects2 kit will have a wire hanging out that needs to be connected manually to a switched live.

^^This is the route most have taken. I think mine comes from the glove box light

Just out of curiosity is there no switched fuse I could tap into under the rear seat, the fact that I already have my accessory wire routed to the battery (which lives under the back seat) it would save me from taking the dash apart and splicing into the cig lighter.

I was hoping there is a fuse in the fuse box under the rear seat which I can tap into, if so which one? and secondly has anyone used the fuse taps from halfords (See link below), any risks involved?

Click here to see fuse tap
I've used piggy back fuses like in the Halfords link on many occasions, no problems. I wouldn't pay eight quid for one at Halfords though, when you can get one via eBay for around a quarter of that.....

Last edited:
I've used piggy back fuses like in the Halfords link on many occasions, no problems. I wouldn't pay eight quid for one at Halfords though, when you can get one via eBay for around a quarter of that.....

Thanks baxlin :)

Obvious point to note, so apologies, but there are two sizes of spade fuse, standard and mini. Make sure you get the right size. Don't ask me how I know......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom