Advanced driver: are you one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
Who here is an advanced driver? More to the point, if you are not one, then why not?

Some people here drive some very powerful and expensive motors.....and yet have not taken the time to improve their driving skills. Why not?

Before I took my advanced driving test (incl. emergency driving), I thought I was a good driver. I'd driven for years, clean licence, never had an at-fault accident, so of course I was a good driver.

How wrong I was. Having completed my advanced test, I could see I used to be, at best, average. I'm afraid that is the same for just about everyone else out there.

So, come on MBers, why not take your advanced driving test asap :thumb:

Last edited:
I want do an advanced driving test, but am not really sure where to start?

Should I just contact IAM or is there some kind of test to take before they'll accept me?

Then contact local IAM branch and attend the course/training.

Have read Roadcraft as part of motorbike CPD but that's it..

I like the idea of taking an advanced driving course, I guess there are just many things which pop up first meaning I never quite get round to it..

It is without question an excellent idea. When ever conditions deteriorate I seem to find myself in tailbacks on the M1 caused by idiots who run into each other.

Ade

I passed my IAM in 1999. 11 years of bad habits have undoubtedly crept back in.

Forget IAM if you really want to learn you need to do the RoSPA advanced driving course much more in depth and up to date and you have to pass the test every 3 years to stay current.

Can you give a quick summary of what's involved?

I'll try, but things may have changed since I did it.
  • register with IAM
  • wait for local IAM instructor to contact me to arrange a mutual time to meet up
  • Meet IAM instructor and drive my car for 30 mins. Debrief.
  • Told to read Car Craft and watch Police training video
  • Meet up once a week for 1 hour and drive around
  • Significant skills taught: reading the road ahead, anticipation, sympathetic car driving, giving a running commentary whilst driving. Sounds trivial, but I remember finding it quite difficult. Once you know all the hazards it takes some skill to describe them concisely.
  • Continue for 12-15 weeks or until ready.
  • Take test with retired Police instructor. Nerve wracking.
  • Pass test :)
  • Try not to forget everything you've been taught over the years.

I started out doing a Police 'better driving course' which was free , on one evening a week for about 10 weeks - this , in turn , led to me joining my local IAM group as an associate member and a few months later doing the IAM test - this would have been back in 1976 or 1977 when I was about 18 . After passing that test , I became quite active in the local group and ended up as an assessor taking new associates out on runs . I went on to do the League of Safe Drivers test , which subsequently became ROSPA , and obtained a Class one , or Gold , pass which I renewed a couple of times . The group were also looking for people to train others up to ROSPA standard and to train others to give tuition ; I was fortunate to be one of three picked for this and , thanks to the kindness of some of the instructors at the Scottish Police College who gave up their own time to help us , we went every Saturday for about a year until we were trained to a similar standard to the police drivers but without the high speed element which we were not allowed to do , we also covered parts of the PI ( potential instructors ) course which taught how to give advanced tuition in a timely manner such that the student could react to instructions on a drive .

All of the above was a real eye opener at every stage and I never stopped learning , even though within the confines of some groups there is a degree of pedanticism from some who will not accord driving the degree of flexibility that dynamic situations sometimes require .

I kept this up for about 10 years until I became a father at age 28 and then family life plus work made such demands on my time that I had to drop out of it .

These days , despite working for the Fire Service and having done a general Brigade driving course and an emergency response course , I sometimes feel that I might more suitably join the Institute of Retarded Motorists - members of which I see on the roads every day !

Can you give a quick summary of what's involved?

Ade

I can't, because my driving is through my trust. The original course was a three week, full-time residential course. There were lots of written exams. From memory, the pass mark was 85%.

I would love to do one, but i'm not quite sure whats involved....

Just google iam and see the contact for your area.

I looked into it but theres to much time involved and i dont have any time or the motivation!.

They also have a stand at most county type shows.

Lynall

Forget IAM if you really want to learn you need to do the RoSPA advanced driving course much more in depth and up to date and you have to pass the test every 3 years to stay current.
Contacted my local RoSPA group last year - didn't hear anything back - guess they assumed I was already too advanced for them. :D

Must have another go.

IAM car, motorcycle and commercial vehicle.
IAM (car) observer.
Currently doing RoSPA motorcycle.
After that, will be doing the Master Drivers Course by Cadence Driver Development. (www.cadence.co.uk)

There's no such thing as the perfect driver/rider, there's always something new to learn, and the learning never stops!

I read roadcraft years ago and to be honest I found all of it common knowledge/sense. It was nice to see some of my driving methods backed up in the bible of motoring though.

What is the general consenus between IAM or RoSPA?

Is one cheaper than the other, more recognised, more detailed?
For me, I don't really care about driving fast around corners. It's seldom I ever need to get anywhere in a hurry so the only place I drive quickly is on the Nurburgring.

I'd like to learn how to drive smoother than I do now and also I tend to go to Germany a lot and do a lot of high speed driving on the way there since I leave mine at 2am the roads in Germany at 4:30am are generally empty and I just hurtle down to Stuttgart at a rate of knots, having some tips on car control and observation would come in handy for me.

So, anyone done both? IAM or RoSPA for me?

Should I just contact IAM or is there some kind of test to take before they'll accept me?

Yes, they assume you can already drive! You need to be able to drive at least L-test standard, and you'll be surprised the amount of people who turn up and I wonder how they manage pass their driving test! But the IAM are there to help them improve and become safer drivers.

In my opinion, I think RoSPA is more suited to those who are more enthusiastic. I find RoSPA more precise and professional in the way they teach, and the standard required to get that Gold award is very high. Also the IAM is just a pass or fail. If you pass you don't know how well you pass (like taking an exam and you pass, you won't know whether you scored 50% or 100% it's still a pass!), on the other hand, RoSPA is graded, and you'll get a more comprehensive written report on how well (or bad!) you did on your test.

RoSPA Gold Motorcyclist... does that count? :)

Well done!:thumb:

What is the general consenus between IAM or RoSPA?

Is one cheaper than the other, more recognised, more detailed?
For me, I don't really care about driving fast around corners.

So, anyone done both? IAM or RoSPA for me?

RoSPA, I reckon. I haven't had any experience with a RoSPA car group, but I've been driven by RosPA Gold members, and they are very very good.

IAM is more recognised, a much bigger organisation. RoSPA, as I've mentioend is more precise, everything has to be in control and smooth, from the moment you start the cockpit drill and turn the key.

Anyway, as you'll be taught about observation, anticipating hazards, limit points, the system, you'll be going around corners faster, smoother and in control. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom