Advanced driving course pass: cheaper insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ItalianTuneUp

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI
I took this course a long time ago and failed it on a technicality, which unfortunately was an important fault, so the instructor had to fail me.

Does anyone here know if passing this test leads to (significantly) cheaper insurance?

Depends on the company I believe? Need to talk to your insurer to be sure

Ive been a member of the IAM for 24 years now. The insurers who do give discounts are expensive in the first place. I've found the cheaper ones don't do any discount.

So, purely for insurance, not worth it.

However, for safer driving, I would recommend it.

Good info, so probably not worth re-taking the test for insurance purposes.

You're right, the great take-away from taking the advanced driving course was greater safety awareness and this was mainly due to anticipating situations so as not to put oneself and passengers in danger. In itself, that was worth its weight in gold!

Take the ROSPA advanced drivers programme that will save you a fortune in Insurance. Every insurance company I have ever insured with have discounted heavily, top tip agree the premium first then tell them you are a ROSPA qualified driver and they will discount further. ROSPA is not just a one test programme though

Interesting, wonder why the ROSPA pass gives one discounted insurance and the IAM one doesn't? More rigorous perhaps?

You have to progress through various stages of competency its not just a simple pass or fail test. The last stage is equivalent to a Police driver but without the emergency response aspect but the driving level and observational skills are at the same level.

Sounds interesting. I suppose it costs a fortune to progress through the levels?

Doesn't cost a penny all provided free of charge usually by ex traffic cops or serving traffic cops, you just need to join your local group and put in the time, usually around 2 hours per week, we always used to go for a curry afterwards made it a very pleasant Thursday evening for a couple of years :D

It sounds like it could be worth a look into then. Thanks, will check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom