Advanced driving course's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillyD.

Car
SL500 (R230)
First post since buying my SLK, so hi to everyone on the forum.

As per the title, I am trying to find out about the different course's that are out there (i.e. IAM, RoSPA and general track day/skidpan course's). I would say that I am only driving the car at around 70% of it's capabilities and would like to be able to push it a little bit harder, but still keeping it between the hedges.
Looking for peoples opinions/experiences and/or reccomendations please. I live in SW Scotland, but travelling distance would not be an issue (good excuse to get away for 2 or 3 days).
Thanks.

I have taken the IAM test and retake it every now and again. It is aimed at safe, defensive driving and although it helps with being a good driver it doesnt address handling and skid issues specifcally. I have also done the now unavailable Masterdrive course which was looking for similiar things to the IAM test.

I've driven at Brands hatch, Goodwood and knockhill and would say that some track instruction helps you learn how to handle your car BUT driving around paddock bend at 120mph is a bit different from driving on a public road where there maybe a unforseen hazard or something like diesel spilt on your bend or rounabout.

Some skid pan training ought to a driving test requirement , just dont do it in your car!!

I'd start with the IAM one to get your mind set right then do some track and skid training to re inject a bit of fun. HTH

Just curious... Does any of these courses significantly help in reducing your insurance premiums??

Yes if they are dearer to start with;)

I'd second that.....company I work for sends us on driver training very four years. It's a combination of IAM stuff, plus skid car, ABS use, parking (!), etc.

Found it all very useful, and backs up the track stuff.

IAM is definately a big plus with some insurance co's....Admiral for one, and Merc Insurance also take it into account.

I have done the IAM test, car & motorbike, RoSPA Gold pass, car & bike and the HPC course - never found it reduced my insurance premium with the cheaper companies!

Ditto, I once got 10% for my RoSPA Gold, but only from a company who wanted 20% more to start with.

If you really want to know what a car can do then try these guys....

http://www.erm-international.com/about.html

I worked in the Middle East for a few years, and decided to take my family with me. When it got a little 'hotter' over there I decided to learn a few tricks with the car just in case.

ERM gave me the skills I needed to do certain parts of my job ;) , but also taught me a few things about cars too..... :rock:

Not stuff I use everyday, but has saved my bacon a couple of times when the roads have been slippy.

Also turned a very embarressing incident into a very cool looking one. I pulled out of the petrol forecourt and must of had some diesel on the tyres, because the back end went completely. I span into the traffic facing the wrong way, but instinctively floored the accelerator to keep the spin going, so i would fit into a gap, then dabbed the brake to get the front going too. As the car regained grip (yes i could feel it - wouldn't of had a clue what was happening before the I did the course), I eased back on the power, drove for the 'line', straightened the wheel and headed in the opposite direction. From the outside it looked pretty cool :crazy:

Don't ask me to do it again though - LOL.

Oh and before you ask, I've never had to use it in the Middle East, but I nearly had to do it in Newcastle, but that was for a different reason ;)

I've also done the Police ADC, but that was a bit dull and basic by comparison.

As for insurance - I wouldn't dream of telling them I have anti-roadblock training :p

Anyway enough about me! :rock:

Jim

Karting

I went karting the night before last in Docklands on a wet track. Fantastic for learning skid control!

I think Track Days are really good for learning the limits of your car and ability but good instruction makes the learning easier. Your local car clubs or racetrack should have some good ideas & contacts

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Taking any advanced driving course is an excellent idea, and unless you are someone that 'thinks' they know it all, then I would suggest you would get huge benefits from it.

This is where I get controversial.

Toad of Toad Hall likes to get the maximum out of his car on a public highway and he is a fictional character, but I suppose we have our equivalent modern day boy racers. It is one thing to drive fast in a straight line, but to push a car to its limits going round a blind bend is at best foolhardy, and at worst either murderous, or suicidal.

Track days are excellent fun, and most race courses offer some type of driver instruction. Most cities now have a driver instruction area which might offer a skid control type course, this again is excellent value and is more environmentally friendly compared to going onto wet grass :rolleyes: ;) to learn. Not that I ever did you understand ;) .

Folks criticise me for prattling on about going too fast around blind bends, but it is these idiots that will always say it wasn't their fault that someone was severely injured or killed. How were they to know there would be roadworks, broken down vehicles, fallen tree's, etc etc etc.

Cars are for enjoying, sports type cars even more so. I am NOT a killjoy, I am perhaps envious of you, with your nice car. Take as many courses as you can, and take the most from them.

Kind regards,
John

Thanks for all the info so far folks. Looks like the IAM course will be the one to go for first and then possibly look at a track event/skidpan.

I am not looking to become an out-and-out racer, just looking to be able to enjoy my driving experience and also have a little more skill/experience for those unforseen moments. This is my first RWD car and I expect I will have to make a few changes to my driving style to reflect this, hence the request for the information.

Thanks again

BillyD.

I agree with John completely. "Enjoy it...but". See if you can get a course with a retired police instructor.

FWIW (not much) my background includes-
Several years' motor-racing, on tarmac and off-road.
Several "advanced" motoring courses.
Several years' as an instructor, including as an instructor instructor.

What have I learned?
Your vehicle is far more capable than you think. - It's only shortcoming is usually the driver.
You will never get near the potential of your vehicle on the road. - Even if you have a Ford Fiesta.
A good driver in the Ford Fiesta can be faster and safer than many others in higher-spec cars
Engine upgrades and wide tyres do not change sightlines. Sightlines are what dictate your speed most of the time.
After your driving course lock your keys away for a week - this is th most dangerous time while you are too confident.
And here's the gold-plated, copper-bottomed, brass-rivetted rule -
Every driver you will talk to is already better than average, and is "worried about the other idiots"

All generalisations, I know.

The police with 'blues-andtwos' response rating are highly-trained, frequently-assessed drivers of the highest calibre. And they still get it wrong sometimes (just pick up any copy of the Daily Wail). What hope have we part-timers got?

These days I get my kicks out of seeing how much of the journey my kids can stay asleep for, and not wearing out my stoplight lamps. Plus watching other's reactions to frights they didn't see coming.

Pass me my slippers...

nickmann said:
Your vehicle is far more capable than you think. - It's only shortcoming is usually the driver.

You will never get near the potential of your vehicle on the road. - Even if you have a Ford Fiesta.

A good driver in the Ford Fiesta can be faster and safer than many others in higher-spec cars

Engine upgrades and wide tyres do not change sightlines. Sightlines are what dictate your speed most of the time.

After your driving course lock your keys away for a week - this is th most dangerous time while you are too confident.

And here's the gold-plated, copper-bottomed, brass-rivetted rule -
Every driver you will talk to is already better than average, and is "worried about the other idiots
"

What excellent top rated points.

I totally, totally agree and only wish I had said it.

As my old Royal ;) Marine driving instructor used to say, "Any fool can drive fast enough to be dangerous!"

BillyD sounds the right type of person to get maximum reward from these courses and TOP marks go to him for asking a very sensible question. :bannana:

John

I know I am just an average driver, and I think that advanced driving courses should be more available. Does anyone have any idea of the costs for these courses as this also makes them more exclusive.

Goodpost by Nickmann

I'm in the IAM, it is well worth doing, as said above, the observation element is very good, EVERYONE could benefit from it, very good for brushing up on the basics of driving but it does have it's short comings in certain technical areas and some of the techiniques they promote may not be beneficial to your driving and car control, after you pass the test you just have to decide what works best for you.

(note; quite a few of members have a holier than thou view of driving which can sometimes be as risky as bad driving).

I've also had instruction from an ex Police instructor and an old MOD chap, these guys gave up a few years ago but it was a great course, including an excellent bit on security and defensive driving

I've done a bit of track driving and had a fair bit of instruction, nowadays the companies also do drift days, I've been to one of these at Oulton park it was great, they use a tiny circuit slopping wet with water and diesel total fun at 15-20mph ( and good instruction) £79.

http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/

do allsorts of stuff. Airfield race tracks have loads of room to try out things with out hitting any thing hard, unlike some traditional circuits which have barriers right by the track :eek:

Myself and friends have hired bruntingthorpe airfield for testing a couple of times (4 cars two hours £120 each midweek, crail may be similar)

Video of idoicy that one can get upto (10MB)

http://media.putfile.com/AMGS55bigclipNOsmusic

This is a video of the drift day at Oulton in the S65 If you can work out what's going on :D (10MB) , despite being turned "off" the ESP would cut in making it hard to maintain a slide, but the track was little small for a 17ft long car to get a long slide going anyway.

http://media.putfile.com/s65drift10mb

www.tso.co.uk for a copy of Roadcraft "the police drivers handbook" (or amazon :) ) very useful

Have fun

nickmann said:
The police with 'blues-andtwos' response rating are highly-trained, frequently-assessed drivers of the highest calibre.

Pass me my slippers...

Highest calibre from within the Police force only.

Joining the Police, being selected for traffic and then passing the course doesn't make you a high calibre driver, just the highest calibre driver they have. The air of confidence they have makes them dangerous in my books. :eek:

I don't wish to make a sweeping statement because I bet some of the high pursuit guys are fecking shit hot, but when you put your hand into a bucket full of apples, you normally pull out an apple. :rolleyes:

Before anyone says, I know my driving is ****. Even my Wife can park better than me ;) I generally sit in my 200 and try and stay out of trouble. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom