advice and opinions please insurance related

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrandadsW202

Car
98rg W202,14rg bmw 116 sport, 92rg seirra cosworth 4x4
ok so i recently got given a c class w202 by my father and its a pearler really just needs tidying but anyway i want to keep the car and give it to my son with along with other cars in the family eventually ... but this is the first one so the car is in my fathers name on sorn at his house i have use of another car and works van so it would only be used as second or third car for me plus i would like to keep mileage down as it has only covered 65000 now with about 800 between last 3 mots .... and seen as im doing that i would like to keep the number of keepers down{ my father is second owner} by registering it in my childs name now and insuring it for me to use for say 3000 miles a year max

also i have not had my own insurance for about three years so need to start again with no claims .... on the up side i have just be told in round about ways that i dont need to declare a crash i had 18mnths ago as i was the named driver

i know insurance is not cheap but i had a sierra cosworth at 24 and payed 2600 tpft first year with 9 points after 3 years i got it down to 480 fully comp classic insurance .....

so i had qoutes on said car registerd in my name age 31 with no ncb and clean liecence came out at around 700 800 mark steep but i would pay that

so i now intend to register car in sons name just got off phone to proformance direct a so called mercedes specialst who offered to cover me for somewhere in the region of 4 grand for a car worth 600 quid

Be careful if you insure the car in your son's name but intend driving it yourself. Insurance companies look upon this a "fronting" and could refuse to pay out in the event of an accident with you driving.
Why not just insure the car in your name, pay less, and start getting your own NCB again? As it's a low milage but old car, the number of owners is really not that important.
Try Hastings Direct for a quote. I found them very competitive on price.

i dont intend to insure my son just myself i just wanted to keep number of keepers down aswell if possible

does anyone know of insurance companies that consider a 98 w202 a classic if i just went down the normal route of putting car in my name ???

Anyone can be the registered keeper of a vehicle.

I didn't quite understand the bit about not having to declare a crash 18 months ago, as you were the named driver.
It appears as though you intend to drive another car as the named driver...possibly avoiding being the policy holder in the event of another claim.

I can't see any insurance company being too happy with that arrangement.

I'm not sure I understand what exactly it is you're wanting to do?

It appears as though you intend to drive another car as the named driver...possibly avoiding being the policy holder in the event of another claim.

I can't see any insurance company being too happy with that arrangement.

That is how I read it too:dk: Perhaps I'm wrong.

As said above. Insurance will smell "fronting". Insure yourself in your name. Number of keepers will not deter buyers if on the same family.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

If its staying in the family leave it in your fathers name, with him as the policy holder and you and your son as named drivers....

ok maybe im confusing people the car is now reg to my father as second owner from new he has given the car to me which in around 15 years time as my son is two it will be given to him

i want to insure the car for me to use ONLY not him as he struggles with left and right lol...
but wanted to reg car in his name now so when he gets it eventualy it will of only had two previous keepers the second one being his grandad ( my father )

this car will be mainly in storage and seems shame to put another keeper on when really i will just be looking after it for my son

im not trying to front anything i will be only person on isurance

but it seem when u tell insurance company its not reg in ur name they dont like it and premium goes skywards

as for accident i presume because i was named driver then and not getting any ncb i would not be afecting some thing i didnt have

anyway crash/claim not really having much impact on premium its the registered keeper part i am stuggleing with some one has told me LV dont mind the car being registerd in someone elses name and insured in ur own i will try those tonight

please dont cofuse me with some chav scum trying to beat the insurance system my only goal is for my son to end up with small collection of low owner low milage classic cars for a rainy day

thanks jon

If you intend to pass the car on in 15 years time, the added name will have a value, as it shows the car has been passed down generations.

A W202 family heirloom...LOL..

ok thats something i didnt consider {do i detect sarcasim in ur reply lol) yes its a pesant spec w202 but not to my dad it was his pride and joy once and im sure my son will be gratful of this and his 1971 250S and my sierra cosworth and what ever else presents its self between now and when he passes his test ... but thanks for ur reply it was advice and opinions i asked for and thats what i got :thumb:

ok so after getting a quote from money supermarket with the car registered to me on v5 and insurance just in my name telling them i had a bump 18 months ago with zero ncb and clean licence it came back at 900

same as above with the car registered to my son and insureed just by me and and me to drive it no mention of my son other than rightful owner and they want over 2000 :dk: whats the crack with that then

Wonder who would be reonsible for NIPs / parking tickets etc in such a scenario...?

i supose it would be driver at time of offence as with my parking fines in works van

I think you simply need to transfer the car to you and insure the car in your name, and if at the time your son can drive you still wish to give him the car (if you still have it), do it then. Up 'til then it's all needlessly complicated and evidently not something an insurance company is keen to insure. An extra owner on the V5 is not going to make a jot of difference to its value and an extra £1100 a year would seem a high price to pay.

One question they always ask is "have you had any accidents, claims or convictions in the last 3 (sometimes 5) years?"

Are you planning on saying "no"? - which is (I think if I've read your post correctly) not true... That would immediately invalidate your insurance..

no all prices i have been given were with the accident declared and were done online but the qoute i was given over the phone i told the lady that i had been a named driver on another car which i had accident aug 13 but had driven a works van over the same three year period, but had no way of proving this, and her reply was if u dont have ur own policey for more than 2 years everything is lost in terms of ncb so the accident would not have any bearing on the qoute ....
which i found strange myself this is why i have declared it on every online qoute

Car registration is NOT 'commutative' when it comes to insurance companies.

In my experience, insurance companies do not normally penalised the insurance premium if the car is registered to one's spouse or parents, but not necessarily the other way round (i.e registered to son/daughter/brother/sister).

ok i think im just going to put the car in my name and insure it, it would of been nice to have 1 less owner on v5 but its going to cost silly amounts of money for not much gain really. money would be better spent on bodywork i think cheers people

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom