Advice buying a 2012 E Coupe with Driving Assistance Package

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nayem

Car
None
Hello,

After years of aspiring to own a Mercedes E Coupe, I'm finally looking to make the plunge and have found a 2012 model that includes the driver assistance package: Distronic Plus, Blind Spot Assist, Lane Tracking.

Now here's the Q:

Does the Distronic Plus on 2012 models automatically brake / accelerate to maintain a set distance to the vehicle in front, slowing down when necessary and speeding up as the distance increases? I know that the newer models can do this but wondered if anyone with the feature on a 2012 model can advise?

When looking at the 2009 Distronic models for example, the vehicle does not actually automatically maintain a distance but rather provides an audible alert and once the driver brakes, then the car applies the necessary breaking pressure to minimise impact. I'm looking to get the newer distronic which automatically breaks like BMWs Stop Go Active cruise.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 2009 distronic would have kept a fixed distance, as opposed to the speedtronic that keeps a fixed speed.
It sound to me like you're describing the collision prevention assist, that beeps a warning if it thinks you're going to hit something then enables brake assist if you hit the brakes, but is nothing to do with the cruise control.
I have the distronic on my 2014 e class, and it's great, makes a lot of sense on the motorway and in stop start traffic. I don't think it has changed much from the 2012 model, but again I don't have one, so not 100% sure.

There's Distronic and Distronic +.

Both are intelligent cruise control and will maintain the distance, braking/accelerating etc.

Distronic + will bring the vehicle to a stop (there may be other features that differentiate the two).

The youtube vids and MB vids are very helpful.

Last edited:
But neither distronic nor distronic + are anything to do with collision prevention, which I think the op was getting them confused with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom