Advice, elderly parent ill overseas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
E111 only valid I believe, if she was taken to their equivalent of an NHS hospital. If she's in a private one they wouldn't be long about in asking for her insurers details.

Only going by the TV programme that used to be on.

Sure she will be receiving very good care too.

All the best & wishing your mum a speedy recovery.

The facts are a bit sketchy regarding my Mum's hospital status but despite handing over her E111 card they would not discharge her until their bill of EU7,000 had been paid. She was all for paying up to get out of there but I wanted to wait for the insurers to review her medical notes and settle the bill while arranging a medically approved repatriation plan, as it turned out there was only a couple of hours delay.

I was also conscious that had I paid the EU7,000 bill the insurers might not have paid back in full due to the potential that they might have for negotiating the bill downwards. Having said that money is less significant in these situations.

I'm having a run of bad luck with my loved ones getting ill on holiday.

I've just spent most of the last 3 days in a Spanish hospital with the Mrs.

3rd night in the hotel by myself, at least I got here before 3:30AM this time.

I've never felt so alone.

I'm having a run of bad luck with my loved ones getting ill on holiday.

I've just spent most of the last 3 days in a Spanish hospital with the Mrs.

3rd night in the hotel by myself, at least I got here before 3:30AM this time.

I've never felt so alone.

Bad luck!
Best wishes to your missus.

Not our experience of Spanish health service, wife fell on way to airport, damaged top lip and broke a tooth. staff at airport very good and patched her up.

Went to local doctor who inspected damage and gave her a line to have nose x rayed for broken nose, only problem was lack of Spanish, they expect you to provide translator. Why do they provide translation service on our nhs? No wonder they are over budget.

Only problem was trying to get money out of staysure insurance for dentist bills, they are not covered refer to the teeny weeny print, bunch of d1ckheads why provide a policy that does not cover you when you need it.

Wife now OK and local dentist fixed broken tooth.

Read your small print on your insurance cover, it is probably not worth the money they charge you and always go private in Spain, do not use E11 card

Thanks for the positive replies, especially those offline.

Left her feeling more comfortable tonight.

During some of the darkest hours of the last few days my reformed hash dealer mate texted me to ask if, while in Spain, I could detour to Madrid to pick up a parcel for him from some bloke named Juan. Apparently I need not worry as it's all legit and above board. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself quietly.

Thanks for the positive replies, especially those offline.

Left her feeling more comfortable tonight.

During some of the darkest hours of the last few days my reformed hash dealer mate texted me to ask if, while in Spain, I could detour to Madrid to pick up a parcel for him from some bloke named Juan. Apparently I need not worry as it's all legit and above board. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself quietly.

So can you sort me for Mick Mills or not ?

She is home.

What an ordeal, she was in the hospital for nearly a week. It turned out to be pneumonia with complications, the doctor drew over a pint of fluid from one of her lungs - I think it stung a bit from the noise she was making.

The Spanish hospital was actually very good despite comments above which did nothing to cheer me up at the time.

The heat didn't really help as it was 40 degrees and the hospital air con couldn't keep up, she was being bitten by mosquitoes every day and had already been bitten by a spider which wasn't helping.

Mrs discharged herself on Monday morning for the long drive to a ferryport.

As we left the doc handed over a handful of glass ampules to drink if the pain got too much to handle, out of curiosity I googled them to discover that they have been poisoning/killing Brits as we react badly to Nolotil. I suspect that she was given this intravenously while in the hospital but cannot be sure as the notes don't document it.

Thanks again to those who have been in contact offline, it's very much appreciated,

I think that we will be taking holidays closer to home in future.

Sorry to hear of your wife's illness and I hope she makes a speedy recovery. Try not to let two unrelated, albeit traumatic, holiday medical emergencies put you off travelling: there's too much world to be experienced!

Very quick update on this.

We got home and booked in to see a consultant asap.

He thought all was good so we were happy.

2 weeks later all was far from good and Mrs was rushed to hospital in the UK.

2 weeks again and she's home, for daily healthcare visits for at least a month.

Feeling a bit sceptical when any health professional tells me things are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom