Advice importing a car please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesfuller

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C240 Elegance & S210 E320 CDi Avantgarde
Has any one bought in a car from Europe and registered it here.

It will be from the 80's or early 90's if that makes a difference. The plan will be to buy the car in Poland and drive back here then get it registered!

Any advice would be appreciated!:thumb:

I used to import cars from Jersey so if it is the same or it helps. You may need a certificate of origin so check with the country's DVLA equivalent. There will be V.A.T. to pay and on some makes of car an import tax, (it used to be 10%). Also a a type approval certificate if it is an odd car.
Or, just ask a Pole how they would do it :)

Have a look at the DVLA doc INF106. I had a long correspondence a few years ago with DVLA, my MP, the Police, Godfrey Bloom, the EU, and others I've forgotten, about the ridiculous UK rules on this. They have since made matters clearer. Page three especially now plainly states.

'If you are going to use a vehicle on the public road it must be registered, taxed and insured. A British resident must not drive a vehicle displaying foreign registration number plates in the UK. To avoid difficulties, we advise you to:
1 transport, rather than drive, your vehicle from the port to your home or its first destination, and
2 keep the vehicle off the road until it has been properly registered, taxed and insured.'

Once you have the thing here, provided it passes its MOT and has the appropriate EU country reg docs and receipt of purchase it's a doddle. The biggest issue for me with a country where I (certainly, perhaps not you) don't speak the language is establishing good title.

Last edited:
I used to import cars from Jersey so if it is the same or it helps. You may need a certificate of origin so check with the country's DVLA equivalent. There will be V.A.T. to pay and on some makes of car an import tax, (it used to be 10%). Also a a type approval certificate if it is an odd car.
Or, just ask a Pole how they would do it :)

Its not the Polish side I'm worried about, Its this end.:eek:

May have to get a tow bar for the 420. Typical, just sold the Landcruiser.

You're getting the message. HMG doesn't want you driving the foreign registered car here - although it's yours legally, and correctly insured and MOT'd in its country of registration - because they think you're dodging VED. This doesn't apply to (say) a Frenchman buying (say) a Portuguese registered car. The usual rules about reregistering after 6 months in the new country apply throughout the EU and are reasonable. But HMG's position on this prevents those owning foreign cars which usually stay in the country of registration bringing them into UK even for short, occasional and temporary visits.
Good old open EU borders eh!!

Sorry - bit of a hijack, but one of my hobbyhorses.

So this could turn out to be quite the PITA. Probably will end up having to tow an empty trailer for 3 or 4 days while I get to Poland and drive to the cars to view them.

I would have thought where EU and domestic law conflict, the EU law would prevail.

It seems to with everything else, I wonder if HMG are pulling a fast one and are relying on fear and ignorance to get away with it.

Cars are more expensive in Poland so I'm curious why you'd be car shopping there unless you were looking to buy something eastern block.

I suppose there are some original fiat 500's there but what else?

I think you could get around the driving problem as far as Calais if you have access to a foreign EU address, and can so legally insure the car in that country. That allows ou to drive throughout the EU (except good old Blighty - see above). You could then trailer the thing up UK. Many would take the risk in UK of course; I couldn't possibly comment.

The problem for me (possibly not the OP's issue though) is establishing good title in the country of sale. Goodness knows it's bad enough here now what with clones and logbook loans etc.

I have corresponded with the Lithuanian DVLA regarding a W203 estate I was interested in .This then allowed me to check it with their database but I still cocked off, being a wimp. You can't help wondering why the owner doesn't register the car in UK for £50 odd to make it much more saleable.

Cars are more expensive in Poland so I'm curious why you'd be car shopping there unless you were looking to buy something eastern block.

I suppose there are some original fiat 500's there but what else?

I will be after either an FSO Syrena or a Polski Fiat. Also there is a lot more choice of Fiat 126 in Poland!:thumb:

I think you could get around the driving problem as far as Calais if you have access to a foreign EU address, and can so legally insure the car in that country. That allows ou to drive throughout the EU (except good old Blighty - see above). You could then trailer the thing up UK. Many would take the risk in UK of course; I couldn't possibly comment.

The problem for me (possibly not the OP's issue though) is establishing good title in the country of sale. Goodness knows it's bad enough here now what with clones and logbook loans etc.

I have corresponded with the Lithuanian DVLA regarding a W203 estate I was interested in .This then allowed me to check it with their database but I still cocked off, being a wimp. You can't help wondering why the owner doesn't register the car in UK for £50 odd to make it much more saleable.

I could insure it in Poland without any real probs, the bug bear is if I have to pay out to legally drive it I might as well risk it all the way. (with breakdown cover)
This side of the water I have to get to Bedford so only a 3 hrs or so!!

Might have to just do it like sensible people and have it shipped, but that sounds far to easy and just a bit boring.

I have driven loads of cars over here on foreign plates..

In practice, unless you drive like a muppet or have bits hanging off the car, its very unlikely you will get stopped or questioned.

Once here you will need various documents to get it road legal. Firstly a UK MOT. The garage will MOT it on chassis number.

Then DVLA paperwork... You will need the Polish reg document to make things easier and any other documentation they have over there.

Then you send it off with fees and it takes a couple of weeks. They may ask to inspect the car and if this happens, you need to have a trailer.

Insurance - the moment you get in the car I would insure it... Take the numbers of your insurance company with you and they will cover it instantly on the chassis number (awaiting uk reg).. You can always shop around for the best deal later.

Thanks jaymanek.

I think I will probably just risk it!

Going back about a decade, I registered two ex army Land rovers and it was ok to do, obviously they where uk spec etc. I had the release documents to prove age etc. and was told it gets more involved when you cant.
Sounds like it hasn't changed too much thankfully.

Thanks for all the advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom