Advice on buying CLC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emkay

Car
Mercedes C180
I hope to get a little advice on buying an automatic CLC to replace my 2001 C180 Sportcoupe. Shame really as it only has 80k miles though I'm facing a few expensive necessary repairs in order for it to get through MOT. The wheel arch rust is also quite bad now.

As I'll be stuck in Germany for a while longer I've been searching for a newer car here.

As I've been happy with my car, I thought that the CLC might be a good replacement. From what I've seen online, sounds like the 160 BE might be best as it's more economical or, 180 as if the stats are to be believed, has better fuel consumption than mine at present.

Are there any particular issues that I should be aware of when buying? Ie, any better build year than others? Any particular faults over a certain mileage? Anything at all that can give me a bit of a clue.

Many thanks in anticipation.

CREDIT OF WIKIPEDIA.
2008–2011: CLC-Class (CL203)
The SportCoupé was spun off into its own separate line called the CLC-Class in 2008. The car was presented at the 2008 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin, which took place from 27 to 31 January The CLC was produced in Brazil at the company’s plant in Juiz de Fora, close to the state border with Rio de Janeiro.

Although the CLC is still based on the W203 platform, it was facelifted with an updated front and tail inspired by the W204 series C-Class. The refresh reworked the rear and front along with some other refinements and new details (Mercedes claimed around 1,100 components), including a steering system borrowed from the SLK-Class and a revised suspension. Out of the sheetmetal of the CLC-Class, only the doors, roof and quarter panels were carried over from the C-Class Sportcoupé. The interior is still largely similar to the first-generation SportCoupé, although it did receive the Steering wheel from face lifted W219 and an updated optional navigation system.
Some auto journalists noted that the improvements were limited in order to differentiate the CLC-Class and protect the status of the more lucrative marques in the lineup;. Due to the age of the W203 platform which "exudes a level of float and wallow" not found in the W204 C-Class, the CLC received mixed reviews against sportier rivals such as the BMW 1 Series coupé In 2009 the CLC 160 BlueEFFICIENCY was added to the range, and the CLC 230 was rechristened as the CLC 250.Daimler AG decided that the CLC would not continue production.

KE16ML (271.9XX)
The KE16 is a 1.6 L (1597 cc) version of the M271 introduced in 2008. Bore is 82 mm and stroke is 75.6 mm. It shares the same features with the KE18ML version, like supercharger and multi-point injection. Output ranges from 129 PS (95 kW) at 5000 rpm to 156 PS (115 kW) at 5200 rpm.

Applications:

2008 Mercedes-Benz CLC-Class CLC 160
2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W204) C 180 KOMPRESSOR

Last edited:
As pointed out above, the CLC has the W203 underpinnings, and as such the usual W203 (facelift) issues potentially apply:

M271 engine prone to premature timing gear failure, typically at around the 100,000 miles mark, but can occur earlier if correct engine oil spec and service intervals were not observed.

Oil in loom issue - leaking camshaft position sensor seals can allow oil to travel up the wiring loom and into the ECU - disconnect the sensor plugs and check they are dry.

SRS warning light - typically the Front Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor will need replacing.

ESP/ABS warning light - typically a wheel sensor or the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor will need replacing.

Also check for any leaking shocks or broken springs.

Basically the younger the better, the lower the mileage the better, a one carefull owner car if possible -- bearing in mind these cars seem to have a loyal ownership profile with people hanging on to their cars for longer. Petrol is the way to go for long term peace of mind as things stand at the moment.
Quite a choice on autotrader but aim for the top end of the price range without paying silly money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom