Advice on decking please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
So here's the problem.
We have an area of decking which was covered in astro turf (not by us)
Mrs Ted (bless her cotton socks) decided that we needed to remove the astro turf.
Unfortunately parts of the ribbed decking underneath have gone soft or in places, rotten.
No problem, replace the rotten lengths with new, and turn the other ones over as the reverse side is also grooved and in reasonable order.
Until I try to remove the screws. They are full of crud, tight and for the most part impossible to remove.
Tried drilling the heads off but have blunted two (cheap) bits.
It has now taken me all evening, and all my little stamina to replace two boards.

So there's the problem. I'm thinking of looking for a small circular hole saw if such a thing exists and drilling around the screw head. The screw can then be removed with pliers, I can reverse the board, put new screws in different places and fill the holes.
Or is there a better way of doing this?
All suggestions gratefully received.

Can you use a nailbar to prise each board up from its fixing and then remove the screw from the board? The screws should just pull out from the fixing unless you have hardwood bearers. Once one board is up, the others should follow easily.

Thanks - tried that and the bearers are in good order. I've already split one board trying it. :(

Seems like you'll be creating more work for yourself there Ted. Have you tried shocking the screws first before trying to remove them?

Personally (and without seeing them) I'd replace the rotten ones, power wash the old ones, sand them down and paint them with a good decking oil

No! How stupid, I havent tried shocking them. Will try that tomorrow.

Unfortunately hole saws have a drill in the centre to guide the saw into the wood, which would conflict with the screw.

Can you not ease the board up off the bearer a bit and then cut the screw with a pad saw or an angle grinder?

Hmmm thats what I seem to be finding - and they are all too big.
Can't really lever the wood up as it is basically sound - I've tried it tonight and there is really no give.

Just found something called a 'Grabit' looks interesting.....

Maybe try a Dremel with a cutting disc Ted

Grabits may work or you could try better quality drill bits like cobalt.
You only need to take the head off then pry the board up.
Then snap the screw shank off flush.
If you can't get cobalt drills local pm me

I've ordered a couple of grabits.
Also think I will invest in a couple of good quality drill bits - as StevenN says, only need to take off the screw head.
Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Brute force is the option I`d go for here, force it up with a decent nail bar enough to slide the bar underneath the board and **** the screw with it directly, after a few good blows the screw will snap and get easier as you go along the board. This happens to me on a regular basis........... don't buy your nail bar from homebase though, they tend to break when you hit them.

I would try the following:
Saw off the end of a board as close as you can to the last screw. Then use the space created to work a hacksaw blade along the top of the bearer and the bottom of the board - it will cut a bit of the wood then should go through the screw. Once you have got the first one there should be enough flex in the board to lever it up a fraction, then you can work the hacksaw blade down the board to the next screw, and so on. Easier still with a reciprocating saw if you can get hold of one.

Being too brutal/sawing off boards isn't an option as I want to re-use them turned upside down.

Just to close this off, big thanks to HarryTheDog for his idea on shocking the screws - worked a treat, and so far has only failed on one screw.
Bad news is I cant reverse the boards like I thought I could as the ribs are a different 'pitch' on the underneath.
Bit more dosh and work, but at least I can get the old boards up now.
P.S. The grabit on the one that I couldn't unscrew was useless :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom